Radion G5 XR15 for 4ft of SPS in a 6ft tank

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot 180G 72"x24"x24" tank. I am looking to get rid of my theree Gen3 XR30s and Aquatic life hybrid for numerous reasons. This tank is about 18months old and not fully stocked with corals yet. This is my first attempt at really growing SPS and am taking it slow. My goal and current setup is SPS in the middle 4 feet and LPS (mostly Euphyllia) on the ends. My logical thoughts are buy lights for a 4ft SPS dominated tank and the ends should be ok for the LPS with the lower par. I could obviously add more lights or supplemental lights if needed later.

Reading on the G5 XR15s it seems like 4 could do the job on a 4ft SPS tank. Down the road as the SPS become bigger and cast more shadows a 5th one or supplemental light bars maybe needed.

Does my logic of 4 lights to grow the SPS in the middle of the tank and LPS on the outside make sense? Will 4 be enough or should I bite the bullet now and buy 5?

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your budget is but I'd probably just do 6 XR15's and call it a day. This way you can control all from Mobius app. Can also setup groups to run the 4 over the SPS at a higher intensity vs the 2 at the ends. Otherwise the 4 for the middle plus 2 other brand lights should also work.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your budget is but I'd probably just do 6 XR15's and call it a day. This way you can control all from Mobius app. Can also setup groups to run the 4 over the SPS at a higher intensity vs the 2 at the ends. Otherwise the 4 for the middle plus 2 other brand lights should also work.
Yeah your right thats probably the best more realistic choice but $3k is always a tough swallow. Dialing in my lights up front seems like a smart choice vs adding more in a year and having to do it all over again.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most of the time I like 2 XR15s compared to 1 XR30 but you need to plan on all the cords and outlets needed for that. 6 compared to 3.

If you turned them perpendicular, 3 XR30s would be plenty for your tank and you could set the middle fixture at a higher power for SPS if wanted. XR15s can't actually cover 24" in all directions. It is closer to 18x18.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think (2) 15's for (1) 30 is way overkill. Most of this depends on how high you're wanting to hang your lights imo. The XR30 recommended spread is rated at 24x24" with max spread at 32x32". The XR15 recommends 18x18" with a max of 24x24". So with that in mind, it doesn't take two 15's to equal one 30. On a 24" wide tank, even with a 18x18" spread, having the lights centered front to back on the tank, we're talking about 3" along the glass not having "optimal lighting". Four lights at an 18" spread equals 72" (18x4), so again, if the lights were centered across the tank, there'll be pretty consistent coverage the length of the tank. Just using four XR15's centered front to back and across the tank, there is more than enough light where you want it.

I had a standard 125 gallon (72x18x18) with four XR15's on it. It wasn't bad, but I did eventually add the hybrid T5 to it. I have since upgraded to a 72x30x30 peninsula that I have put this light setup on. The XR15's are only running at about 30% with diffusers and I have accidental frags growing on the sandbed near the glass. So I think you're on the right track with just using (4) XR15's, but you may want to hold onto the T5's in case you want to add it later since you already have it. Then you'll grow anything you want anywhere in that tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back