Radion G5 XR30 Pro...BRStv Investigates style! The ins & outs of EcoTech's newest light!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're back with the full testing of the Radion G5 XR30 Pro!

Today we've got all the data you wanted to see complete with BRS Recommended suggestions for mounting height, spacing, spectrum, photo period and best of all...what settings we recommend for LPS and SPS tanks! :)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the BRS recommendations.

I don't understand the need to want a bigger form factor light. Going bigger seems to be a big waste of materials. That's one thing I credit the radion for is having such an efficient transfer of heat while not compromising on par and spectrum.

I wouldn't look at size being a negative, anyone can slap LEDs on a heatsink, doing it efficiently is a different story.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think you lost the reason and design behind the PRO version. The PRO can produce AB+ settings however this was geared towards people that the prefer the look of Metal Halides. Having all the sliders on replicates the look of a 10K Metal Halide and that’s what this is geared towards. Saying oh here’s the pro, run AB+ and you’re great is the wrong approach for this. If you’re planning on running AB+ just go with the BLUE instead of the pro. Just my two cents.

maybe @Tim at EcoTech could chime in with his thoughts?

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the BRS recommendations.

I don't understand the need to want a bigger form factor light. Going bigger seems to be a big waste of materials. That's one thing I credit the radion for is having such an efficient transfer of heat while not compromising on par and spectrum.

I wouldn't look at size being a negative, anyone can slap LEDs on a heatsink, doing it efficiently is a different story.

We are sort of at a cross roads here. Kessil went smaller form factor G5's seem to change theirs. Both work as long as the led / chip / array is designed to work within it. So personally speaking form factor doesn't matter to me but it should be a item on hobbyists checklist / planning / preparation document. This would be something to list pro / con on and decide.

I went DIY route with a custom multi channel array and later mixed in Kissel a360x's. While lighting isn't a issue for me I have found that I prefer bar layout better.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Great video.. I have 6 g3 and 1 g4... I have to say.. the fact these may not be workable with neptune is a huge mistake. just my 2 cents. I have too much gear all dependent on apex. dosers, testing , warnings , heat ect.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think you lost the reason and design behind the PRO version. The PRO can produce AB+ settings however this was geared towards people that the prefer the look of Metal Halides. Having all the sliders on replicates the look of a 10K Metal Halide and that’s what this is geared towards. Saying oh here’s the pro, run AB+ and you’re great is the wrong approach for this. If you’re planning on running AB+ just go with the BLUE instead of the pro. Just my two cents

I think Randy and Ryan did a great job explaining the difference between a PRO and Blue: basically that you buy the Blue if you prefer a bluer looking tank and you buy the Pro if you prefer more of a MH look. Although when all the sliders are maxed the XR30 Pro is actually more like 14k or higher though, not 10k. You are right that BRS’s use of the AB+ spectrum to illustrate best practices for the Pro is not ideal. While Ryan and Randy prefer that spectrum, we know the market across the world is pretty well split, and both spectrum’s grow corals very well. The recommendations for the Pro model should have been based on a spectrum most optimal from the Pro model, and the AB+ spectrum left for the Blue. That said, you can do either spectrums with either model, but its not as cost efficient (dollar per PAR) for our customers.

We also don’t recommend three G5 XR30s over a 120gallon. As shown in BRS’s recommendations, they turned the power of the units down to 40% to avoid a hot spot in the middle. Instead, if you were to accept some absolutely minor compromises of having slightly lower PAR at the outer most edges, installing two XR30s over the same aquarium running at a higher power would achieve the same results at a substantial monetary discount versus buying three. You can look at this this way: At 40% on three G5 XR30s you are using only 264w total when each light is capable of 220w. Its not an efficient use of your money and we do not recommend it.

If you do want to use multiple Radions and spread the light over the tank to achieve a very uniform look, I totally understand and support that mindset! But do it with XR15s or some combination of XR15s and XR30s. Youll save money and get the look youre going for. Plus you can buy fewer XR15s in the beginning and then add more as your SPS fill in.

I cannot say I understand the need to talk about the size of the fixture with respect to the characteristics of the light it produces. These characteristics do not uniformly go hand-in-hand. Using technology that we have designed, developed, tested, and manufactured, we have overcome enormous obstacles that were once considered impossible. For example, it was believed that to achieve perfect color mixing either a diffusor was required or a COB style LED emitter was required. Or that wide, uniform spread cant be achieved without spreading LED’s out over a wide area. Contrary to comparisons of a black box, our LED’s are still constrained within a fixture the exact size of our original Radion that launched in 2011. In order to do that we couldnt use two clusters anymore, there was no room. So the G5 was born as a single cluster. That is all, no mystery beyond that. The real technology is in our driving of the LED’s themselves, the thermal management, and most importantly our proprietary optics and coatings.

The G5 offers incredible color mixing, outstanding PAR, convenient form factor, quiet operation, improved water resistance, better control, easy mounting options, and multiple product options spread across four unique models. We have only touched the surface of what this new generation will accomplish and I cant wait to see what you guys all achieve with them.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Randy and Ryan did a great job explaining the difference between a PRO and Blue: basically that you buy the Blue if you prefer a bluer looking tank and you buy the Pro if you prefer more of a MH look. Although when all the sliders are maxed the XR30 Pro is actually more like 14k or higher though, not 10k. You are right that BRS’s use of the AB+ spectrum to illustrate best practices for the Pro is not ideal. While Ryan and Randy prefer that spectrum, we know the market across the world is pretty well split, and both spectrum’s grow corals very well. The recommendations for the Pro model should have been based on a spectrum most optimal from the Pro model, and the AB+ spectrum left for the Blue. That said, you can do either spectrums with either model, but its not as cost efficient (dollar per PAR) for our customers.

We also don’t recommend three G5 XR30s over a 120gallon. As shown in BRS’s recommendations, they turned the power of the units down to 40% to avoid a hot spot in the middle. Instead, if you were to accept some absolutely minor compromises of having slightly lower PAR at the outer most edges, installing two XR30s over the same aquarium running at a higher power would achieve the same results at a substantial monetary discount versus buying three. You can look at this this way: At 40% on three G5 XR30s you are using only 264w total when each light is capable of 220w. Its not an efficient use of your money and we do not recommend it.

If you do want to use multiple Radions and spread the light over the tank to achieve a very uniform look, I totally understand and support that mindset! But do it with XR15s or some combination of XR15s and XR30s. Youll save money and get the look youre going for. Plus you can buy fewer XR15s in the beginning and then add more as your SPS fill in.

I cannot say I understand the need to talk about the size of the fixture with respect to the characteristics of the light it produces. These characteristics do not uniformly go hand-in-hand. Using technology that we have designed, developed, tested, and manufactured, we have overcome enormous obstacles that were once considered impossible. For example, it was believed that to achieve perfect color mixing either a diffusor was required or a COB style LED emitter was required. Or that wide, uniform spread cant be achieved without spreading LED’s out over a wide area. Contrary to comparisons of a black box, our LED’s are still constrained within a fixture the exact size of our original Radion that launched in 2011. In order to do that we couldnt use two clusters anymore, there was no room. So the G5 was born as a single cluster. That is all, no mystery beyond that. The real technology is in our driving of the LED’s themselves, the thermal management, and most importantly our proprietary optics and coatings.

The G5 offers incredible color mixing, outstanding PAR, convenient form factor, quiet operation, improved water resistance, better control, easy mounting options, and multiple product options spread across four unique models. We have only touched the surface of what this new generation will accomplish and I cant wait to see what you guys all achieve with them.
Love the insight. I wasn’t too sure on the spectrum so I just guesstimated 10k. Glad I wasn’t too far off.

it’s actually awesome to hear from the companies perspective and creates even more trust when you come out saying “hold up, save money and buy less fixtures. Just bump the power up a litttle and get the same result.” It really lends itself to your belief in the products quality and capabilities.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim.. thanks for the great info. A bit off subject, and I understand your desire to develop and what looks to be a great software app to control these units. As I mentioned I myself have many and I must add your warranty department rocks. I would love to add these to my current system . But as mentioned I have heavy heavy sue of apex Neptune fusion ect. I really need and would love to hear that although you are and have your own software these will one day be compatible with Neptune-apex-fusion. Thanks...

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim.. thanks for the great info. A bit off subject, and I understand your desire to develop and what looks to be a great software app to control these units. As I mentioned I myself have many and I must add your warranty department rocks. I would love to add these to my current system . But as mentioned I have heavy heavy sue of apex Neptune fusion ect. I really need and would love to hear that although you are and have your own software these will one day be compatible with Neptune-apex-fusion. Thanks...
Do you think Ecotech should also be afforded the right to develop a real solution to the controller game? I'm one of the Mobius beta users and I had your same concern. I was told that downloading mobius software was (at the time) an irreversible procedure, once I started down the path there was no turning back. I was reluctant to move away from Apex to control my pumps and lights. I feared opening 2 apps would be too cumbersome. But I gave in and swapped over and let me say, in reality, it's quite the opposite, It was easy to find perfect harmony between the 2, and when mobius becomes fully integrated I think that other users with greater minds than i will come up with even better solutions to merry the two. What I thought was the end of the world was nothing but anxiety brought on buy other peoples fears abou having multiple controllers.

I know you asked Tim, but allow me to put it into perspective by asking you this, "Do you think neptune would carve out RD time from their current projects to develop a Mobius enabled product?"

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. But at the end of the day.. I have two many pumps, dosers, other lights, wave makers, top off, trident, ect on fusion. Just the way it is. The g4 and g3 were all and are compatible with Fusion.-apex.-neptune. I am simply pointing out that I would like to own a few G5's but if they are not workable that would stop me from making the purchase and I am passing that info on to Tim.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim at EcoTech, your recommendation of two G5 XR30s over a 120, instead of 3 as BRS recommended... is this for a mature, predominately SPS tank? Do you feel that it is enough coverage to keep shading to a minimum? And I'm more concerned with a standard 180 gallon (72"x24"x24")... would three or four G5 XR30s be required for a mature, predominantly SPS tank?

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim at EcoTech, your recommendation of two G5 XR30s over a 120, instead of 3 as BRS recommended... is this for a mature, predominately SPS tank? Do you feel that it is enough coverage to keep shading to a minimum? And I'm more concerned with a standard 180 gallon (72"x24"x24")... would three or four G5 XR30s be required for a mature, predominantly SPS tank?

A truly packed SPS tank at full maturity can benefit by as much light as you can possibly throw at it. My recommendation is based on starting the grow process or those willing to sacrifice small amounts of par for the benefit of saving money. BRS’s recommendations for three is for the truly packed out system. I’ve seen people who ran twin 400w MH’s PLUS T5s over systems like that. At this point we are talking about 1% of tanks. There’s a place for it, absolutely. We just want to be clear about when and why. In general we would rather you buy fewer of our lights and use the most out of them, but there is a time and a place for more more more.

If youre starting a 180gal then I would start with three XR30s and add one or two more when your tank reaches the 1% mark.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. But at the end of the day.. I have two many pumps, dosers, other lights, wave makers, top off, trident, ect on fusion. Just the way it is. The g4 and g3 were all and are compatible with Fusion.-apex.-neptune. I am simply pointing out that I would like to own a few G5's but if they are not workable that would stop me from making the purchase and I am passing that info on to Tim.
In a way I agree with you, hindsight you're right, ecotech should've never designed the wxm, that way people would never have missed it from Neptune platform. Kessil had it right all along.

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,
You have probably read the comments above from Tim (EcoTech) who does not recommend 3 G5 XR30 for a 120 gallon (SPS), but who recommends a combination of XR15 and XR30 which will give substantially the same result at a better cost.

Would you be able to do the same tests by making a combination of the 2 models which could show us what could be the best compromise in terms of uniform par vs the purchase cost.

Thank you

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI guys, i would need advice; in a 120x55x55(cm) full sps reef, which combination of radion g5 do you recommend? also which variant to choose? blue or pro? With diffusers or not?

2 g5 xr30
2 g5 xr30 + 4t5 54watt or 2 led bars
3 g5 xr30
3 g5 xr15 + 4t5 54watt or 2 led bars

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,
You have probably read the comments above from Tim (EcoTech) who does not recommend 3 G5 XR30 for a 120 gallon (SPS), but who recommends a combination of XR15 and XR30 which will give substantially the same result at a better cost.
Would you be able to do the same tests by making a combination of the 2 models which could show us what could be the best compromise in terms of uniform par vs the purchase cost.
Thank you

I think Tim is spot on with his recommendation. The data we collected for the XR30s rightly shows how evenly spread PAR can be achieved in a 4ft area for both LPS and SPS goals.

I'd say that our testing approach and recommendations come from a thought process along the lines of, "If [insert tested light here] were the only light you were using to achieve these goals, then this is our recommendation for how to use them." That said, the recommendation for using three XR30s on this size of tank is wholly based on the idea that this tank (years down the road) would be completely stocked with very large mature SPS colonies.

Do you need three to get your tank to that point? The data suggests absolutely not, nor would I say that you must have three from the start with a tank full of frags or young colonies. Is there a Radion combination for a long-term mature tank (with added cost savings) that will achieve the same goal we aim for? I don't doubt it one bit.

Until we test the XR15s on their own, I can only speculate as to the "ideal" combination. However, I believe most certainly our BRS Recommended light configuration will evolve with our acquisition of testing data... where my personal prediction is that we likely find the PAR and spread we're looking for using multiple XR15s alone, which I also predict will wind up being the most economical choice as well.

We'll only know more as we continue to test and our testing guy, Brent, is up to his eyeballs in light fixtures back there fervently testing away on fixtures such as the Hydras, Kessil, Zetlight, Maxspect, Radions and more!

If you're into light testing and data, the next 4-months are going to be a whirlwind of data for BRStv Investigates. :p

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back