Radion G6 Pro & Blue Coming Soon from Ecotech Marine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing Retail price $1200.00

Just what this hobby needs. A new product that the vast majority of people can't enjoy :)

I'm tired of all of these lighting companies improving their luxury options, while completely ignoring their budget friendly range or not even offering a more budget friendly option in the first place. Kessil is a good example. They love to put out new high end lights (a360x, a500x, ap9x), but when was the last time they decided to improve on the a80 or a160we? They haven't put oput a new a160 reef light since 2014. Radion just skips these entirely, just like ATI, Neptune, Phillips, Orphek (outside of their bars), etc.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what this hobby needs. A new product that the vast majority of people can't enjoy :)

I'm tired of all of these lighting companies improving their luxury options, while completely ignoring their budget friendly range or not even offering a more budget friendly option in the first place. Kessil is a good example. They love to put out new high end lights (a360x, a500x, ap9x), but when was the last time they decided to improve on the a80 or a160we? They haven't put oput a new a160 reef light since 2014. Radion just skips these entirely, just like ATI, Neptune, Phillips, Orphek (outside of their bars), etc.

As a follow up,

Some companies try to have a cheaper option, such as AI and Red Sea. But then, like Red Sea, they decide "Oh wait and you have to spend $80 extra on a bent piece of metal to actually mount the light." This is why I have been recommending lights by smaller companies like quanta, noopsyche, and others who are kind enough to actually make something that costs less than a whole month or two's rent of an apartment in a major city.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are what are keeping me from moving into reefing UGH!
So more high end fish only!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are definitely some friendly options. Check out Noopsyche, Orphek bars, Quanta Bars. You can also go with something like nicrew. Some on here have mentioned smartfarm leds too

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know when I got the G5 Blue I was disappointed at the lack of blue in the UV spectrum. I had a much less expensive light that actually made the corals pop more so I ended up keeping the cheap light and leaving it on to alter the spectrum slightly more blue.

Growth was good, but I really wasn't happy with the spectrum. I'm glad they are fixing it, but I'm not about to pony up another $500 right now. :( even $199 for an upgrade is tempting, but still a big chunk to change it out.

I also hope the new lights work better with the app. Mine loses its mind every couple months and I have to reconnect!
Little more r/d would be nice For that money it should be right

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be put off by companies that sell Cadillac lights. You don’t need them to grow healthy corals. I went with a reefbreeders photon and couldn’t be happier. They’ll grow anything and for the price of one radion you can get two reef breeders that will cover your entire tank.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a follow up,

Some companies try to have a cheaper option, such as AI and Red Sea. But then, like Red Sea, they decide "Oh wait and you have to spend $80 extra on a bent piece of metal to actually mount the light." This is why I have been recommending lights by smaller companies like quanta, noopsyche, and others who are kind enough to actually make something that costs less than a whole month or two's rent of an apartment in a major city.
AI and Ecotech are the same company. Merged about 8 years ago. AI focuses on the budget side.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those comments that missed it in the article, the price is staying the same.

My thoughts are that I do think adding more Blue and UV to add coral color pop sounds great. A lot of people run radions and Reef Brite straps for the added pop. If one fixture could could accomplish both some of us might be satisfied with the amount of color pop from just the Radion.

Is the light really going to have a 4ft spread. I personally like Acropora. I specifically like "sun tanned" colored up Acropora. I'm in the camp of blasting them with tons of PAR. That being said most of the hobby is not. If the average reefer could purchase a singe xr30 fixture for a 4ft tank and have good light for all their LPS with a few easy SPS mixed in then a Radion becomes a much more attractive option.

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been waiting for about 8 months for a sale on G5s. They literally just had it finally through BRS and then turn around and announce a new generation….. thanks a lot tricky @Bulk Reef Supply joint owners……. That being said I’d still be able to return these at a small hit since they’re all unopened but I’d be paying $500 more total for untested new generations of lights on ones I could later decide to upgrade for $1200….

Still don’t hold rare sales on items right before you announce they’re now outdated. Not cool @ecotechmarinetank @Bulk Reef Supply. Just lost some love from me.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been waiting for about 8 months for a sale on G5s. They literally just had it finally through BRS and then turn around and announce a new generation….. thanks a lot tricky @Bulk Reef Supply joint owners……. That being said I’d still be able to return these at a small hit since they’re all unopened but I’d be paying $500 more total for untested new generations of lights on ones I could later decide to upgrade for $1200….

Still don’t hold rare sales on items right before you announce they’re now outdated. Not cool @ecotechmarinetank @Bulk Reef Supply. Just lost some love from me.

Companies do this ALL the time. It's nothing new or surprising or shady.

The new light also does very little new. The 4 foot spread is an absolute joke and lie. They did nothing to help the far red end of things.

Is like the the S line for Apple. Are there "upgrades"? Sure. Are they worth getting if you have 1 gen before? Nope.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies do this ALL the time. It's nothing new or surprising or shady.

The new light also does very little new. The 4 foot spread is an absolute joke and lie. They did nothing to help the far red end of things.

Is like the the S line for Apple. Are there "upgrades"? Sure. Are they worth getting if you have 1 gen before? Nope.

I do agree in that we don't know what the difference will be between the two versions. By difference I mean as it relates to thinks like PAR, spectrum, spread, etc. Power / Watt seems the same so who knows.

A lot of angst it seems by hobbyist over it when it could be nothing other than them tuning the spectrum. Let them come out, people look at them, and then go from there.

Hobbyist worry or freak out over the craziest things it seems.

Edit: Not saying you are - just saying hobbyists need to do what Frankie says and relax :) Treat it like an airplane that is racked and stacked in a holding pattern waiting to land...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back