Radion G6 Pro & Blue Coming Soon from Ecotech Marine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should actually have been the real g5 instead of the g6.The wider spectrum in the blue is a good thing, less green I'm not sure since I turned it to 100% the results are better and also t5 have a spike in the green.The g5 was less good than the g4, a more bad spectrum, less color pop, less par and not a real UV, fan noise,you needed to add a diffuser to not get disco ball effects,just the spread was a bit better but to have good results and coverage and less shadowing,I needed to buy twice the recommended amount and ad t5. Their marketing was a real scam.And now they try to sell us an upgrade that is insanely expensive!No way, that is the best way for them to definitely lose their loyal customer. If there were honest, they would make this upgrade for a fair price to repair their error.

elishapep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree.. I just bought 2 G5 30 blues in mid march from BRS ..and now I have to spend another 800 to upgrade .. if I knew these were coming out I would have waited… they should have some type of incentive to anyone that bought the lights in the last 6months if they want to upgrade … the upgrade is exactly what the light needs to be great .. and they know it .. the blues don’t pop don’t get me wrong the spread /color growth great ..but the pop I give it it’s 6/out of 10 .. I switched from Orphek and the pop was outstanding.. Iam not happy about this

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one G5 30 Pro 10 days ago with 15% discount from BRS. I opened Yesterday morning. Then, I watched BRS youtube video for G6 announcement. I was shocked.

Should I keep it or return with 10% restocking fee for G6?

My tank will be 24 inch cube acropora dominant.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one G5 30 Pro 10 days ago with 15% discount from BRS. I opened Yesterday morning. Then, I watched BRS youtube video for G6 announcement. I was shocked.

Are you saying you'd have paid 15% more for a G6? There's not a huge difference between the G5 and G6 Pro in terms of the LEDs. And for a 24" SPS tank, having less spread is probably preferable anyway.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not really. You said 4 years, now 5. Now you are claiming the manufacture stated lifespan in hours is bogus. It is fine. I'm not going to argue semantics or opinions as we can disagree. Hobbyist should have a PAR indication after purchase and over time so they can decide when it is right vs. feature upgrade time. At least that is what I do.

Kessil FAQ on the a360x for reference.
1652458764548.png

Coral Care Gen 2 for reference:
1652458953187.png
Your par meter isn't going to give you complete information, especially about the chromaticity shift. I posted all the US DOE sources on the truth about LEDs in the SKY light thread, and a few shills couldn't handle the truth. There's a reason you don't see anymore insane claims on the boxes of LED lights, and those manufacturer supplied numbers still aren't giving you the entire truth because you have no clue which of the two standards for life that the fixtures and diodes were tested at. That hour number is almost useless because it only means that the diodes in the fixture will still work, but it doesn't guarantee that it will still work for your intended purpose. It also tells you zero about color maintenance/chromaticity shift.

You have no clue what you're paying all that money for if you think it has anything to do with the actual quality over time of the light produced by those fixtures, just like I told the guy in the SKY thread.
Sometimes users employ the calculated values to make a comparison and to assume that LEDs with longer calculated values may have longer lumen maintenance life. In turn, the users may employ such judgment to select LEDs. Even though several LEDs were having the same reported L70, the users believed the calculated values mattered. That is a completely incorrect assumption.

The US DOE goes over the same issue of them trying to bring more honesty into LEDs.

PompanoBeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

return

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up,

Some companies try to have a cheaper option, such as AI and Red Sea. But then, like Red Sea, they decide "Oh wait and you have to spend $80 extra on a bent piece of metal to actually mount the light." This is why I have been recommending lights by smaller companies like quanta, noopsyche, and others who are kind enough to actually make something that costs less than a whole month or two's rent of an apartment in a major city.
Ecotech owns AI so that is their budget friendly light. I run 2 G5 XR15s and I just got a reefbreeders fixture for my frag tank. After testing par this past weekend the reefbreeders fixture achieved what the radions could and much more for way less $$$$. I think ill be moving everything over to reefbreeders eventually.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech owns AI so that is their budget friendly light. I run 2 G5 XR15s and I just got a reefbreeders fixture for my frag tank. After testing par this past weekend the reefbreeders fixture achieved what the radions could and much more for way less $$$$. I think ill be moving everything over to reefbreeders eventually.
if it wasn't for the mounting options I would've chose reefbreeders with my eyes closed.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocking my G4 pros that I got used a year ago for $400 each. Even have an extra one in the closet. Hoping they last till G10s come out in a few years.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bit research . I think same as the g5 they rush for made a new light that isn't ready. Probably they want to stop the loose of the customer going to other led with real uv..
1) would their lens support Uva, from what I know their technology until know doesn't support it, so how suddenly without testing it can be possible? How long they will hold? Their is a risk for futur trouble here, I would like they told us how with the same technology it is possible when it wasn't before because this from the g5 wasn't ready it would probably last enough long until your led is not more in garanty..
2)where is the moonlight introduce by the g5? Given the design from the g6 their is a space for it but where it is? Economical reason, shortage?

3) I know someone that is close to ecotech, he told me the spectrum is relatively unchanged, apart from maybe having less blue. They seem to have even made it narrower.
they have 395 but it is not enough to make a difference.
So at the end not even a great update. It would be better they fix their products befor launching a new model of they want us to be loyal to them

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I use a LED that has diodes closer to UV spectrum... the lenses always burn... I would be curious to what happens :)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what I know their technology until know doesn't support it
What do you know which says it is not compatible?

I would like they told us how with the same technology it is possible when it wasn't before
395 diodes have been available, but the cost is much higher. The trend 3 years ago was for cyan vs green to better align with absorption spectra. Unfortunately this also gave a green haze to the tank which was not aesthetically pleasing. The green haze was similar to that emitted by ATI Blue+ bulbs, so the market rejection was likely unanticipated.

where is the moonlight introduce by the g5?
It is no longer present. I am guessing that it has to do with the increased cost from the violet and UV diodes. Also I would not be surprised if it was related to the number of led drivers in the G5 architecture (perhaps the moonlight drivers were reallocated to the UV diodes).

I know someone that is close to ecotech, he told me the spectrum is relatively unchanged, apart from maybe having less blue. They seem to have even made it narrower.
Based on the published spectra this is incorrect. Both lights feature a large increase in the 400-450 nm range. The ~500 nm range was significantly reduced in the blue and the warm white boosted in the pro.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you know which says it is not compatible?

395 diodes have been available, but the cost is much higher. The trend 3 years ago was for cyan vs green to better align with absorption spectra. Unfortunately this also gave a green haze to the tank which was not aesthetically pleasing. The green haze was similar to that emitted by ATI Blue+ bulbs, so the market rejection was likely unanticipated.

It is no longer present. I am guessing that it has to do with the increased cost from the violet and UV diodes. Also I would not be surprised if it was related to the number of led drivers in the G5 architecture (perhaps the moonlight drivers were reallocated to the UV diodes).

Based on the published spectra this is incorrect. Both lights feature a large increase in the 400-450 nm range. The ~500 nm range was significantly reduced in the blue and the warm white boosted in the pro.
I got my information from someone really close to ecotech... ;-) and look even on Facebook some are realising it.

Attachments

• 20220517_195732.jpg
    20220517_195732.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 89

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The spectrum they took out is pointless and made the tank look terrible. What they added has true benefits for the tank.

But for $400, I'd just throw on the Reef Brite XHO kit and get more coverage while adding in the low end of the spectrum

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my information from someone really close to ecotech... ;-) and look even on Facebook some are realising it.
The "missing spectrum" on the image is a false statement though. It isn't missing in that area, it's just less powerfull.
Under 400nm the G6 has significant more power where the G5 is close to zero, so yes i would say the G6 has a wider spectrum but it's very little.

Duffybubbleboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies do this ALL the time. It's nothing new or surprising or shady.

The new light also does very little new. The 4 foot spread is an absolute joke and lie. They did nothing to help the far red end of things.

Is like the the S line for Apple. Are there "upgrades"? Sure. Are they worth getting if you have 1 gen before? Nope.
Nah it’s kinda shady to withhold information period. Let’s not simply for BRS.

Duffybubbleboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back