Radion Gen 5 Blue vs Pro with Reef Brite XHO actinics

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some XR15 gen 5 blues versus pros after doing some research on preferences and am wondering if I made a mistake.

I plan to run them with two Reef Brite XHO actinic strips and am worried this will only ever be very very “Gucci mode” blue. Like pure actinics. I played with the radions for a second with the preset push button options and saw one full spectrum setting where the blues were very clearly turned very low leaving the light mostly dimmed as the blues are most of it.

I am currently used to running a Kessil A360X with two ATI blue plus, one coral plus and one ATI purple bulb and like this blue heavy but full spectrum light during most of the photoperiod with a shift to full glowing Kessil at dusk and Dawn. This is what I thought the AB+ spectrum would look like. Not full on blue.

Did I mess up and should I Trade these for Pros?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade em for the pros if you like white light and need to run them full tilt. If you already have to turn them down to get in a reasonable par range, just leave the whites turned up and roll with it. If I were buying brand new radions, and already owned reef brite strips, I'd definitely opt for the pros. I like the bright white full spectrum appearance as well.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I wrong in feeling that the XR15s can’t do full spectrum lighting? I’m fine with blue heavy but I feel like it’s just a massive actinic light, no different than the XHO actinic for most of the settings.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I wrong in feeling that the XR15s can’t do full spectrum lighting? I’m fine with blue heavy but I feel like it’s just a massive actinic light, no different than the XHO actinic for most of the settings.

If you raised the white channel all the way up and its still too blue, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap for the pros. Again, you could also consider the xho's that are 50/50 or white.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they both are full spectrum... blue seems to list 'guarantees simple results' and pro 'flexible spectral output' whatever that means. Makes it sound like blues are for noobs lol but I think it is just for anyone who likes bluer light since you could get more par while running heavy blue (no heavy white to turn to 5% or whatever blue users do).

Spectrum.png

I went with pro's and love the look.

Make sure to turn up the limes on yours, limes usually add bright whiter light. Idk if there is enough to make a difference or not because I have not played with a g5 blue... lime is just how nanobox used to get a crisp whiter light.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Radion XR30 Blue around one and a half weeks ago and have found it one of the most confusing additions added to my system. There are hardly any instructions from Ecotec for the Blue version and what instructions there are, the instructions appear generic and don't specifically relate to the Blue version of the light. I found another thread here you might find useful:- https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/radion-xr15-g5-blue-settings-for-20g-18-cube-sps.893098/

The Ecotec Mobius app CoralLab AB+ settings are too blue for my liking and seem very out of date. It appears they are for the old Generation 3 Radion and don't relate to the new G5 Blue version.

From my research on setting up Blue versions to the AB+ program, all color channels must be set to 100% and then you adjust the light intensity to suit your tank. I've set all my light channels to 100%, at 79% point intensity and the overall schedule intensity at 50% schedule intensity with a 50%, 30-day acclimatisation. This, according to the graph in Mobius, gives me an overall intensity of around 25%.... I think... it's all very confusing.

Running all channels at 100% makes the lights less blue but I don't know if my corals like it as I've only just got the light. These are my settings, all channels 100%, 79% point intensity, 50% schedule intensity and 28-days of acclimatisation left. I think this setup gives me the AB+ program but to be honest, I don't really know what the heck's going on lol

1652011738543.png

1652011791575.png

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you raised the white channel all the way up and its still too blue, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap for the pros. Again, you could also consider the xho's that are 50/50 or white.
Thanks. It would be easier to swap the radions than the reef brites as I have had them since Black Friday.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I paired it and played around with it. That light is nothing but blue! Even when you crank the other colors. Surprised anyone would want to run a tank that blue as their only option. I run blues at points in the day but I definitely need some full spectrum as well….

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit odd to pay that much for a light only to have minimal choices in color due to the leds chosen. But windex does seem to be the popular thing.

I suppose it simplifies things… set everything to 100 and pick intensity. But then you don’t really need 10 channel control and they probably could have added less control and lowered the price instead.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back