Radion Gen 5 LED will come in Pro and Blue Versions!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1581664493926.png

1581664533386.png

1581664551555.png

1581664585269.png

G5.png

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ecotech-g5s-release.690284/#post-7080531

Last edited:

BTD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which the best choice between Blue and Pro for SPS coral ?

Last edited:

d3vhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I was researching lights for an sps tank... time to wait for reviews.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL 215 watts that is getting close in watts to a 250 watt halide fixture.
Not much of a energy savings anymore.
Also means amount of heat produced is getting closer.
Figured they would be a little more into the UV spectrum than 405nm.
Other than layout and more leds it does not seem to much different.
This is a better design to help with shading but not color blending.

Last edited:

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which the best choice between Blue and Pro for SPS coral ?

You could use either. Now if you don't keep sps that fluoresce and prefer a 10k color spectrum, you'll want the G5 PRO. It's got the white LEDs you need to achieve that. The G5 Blue has extremely few. 6 white vs 40 royal blue leds. Add in the blue leds too and that 6 white leds vs 64 leds in the blue category.

LOL 215 watts that is getting close in watts to a 250 watt halide fixture.
Not much of a energy savings anymore.
Also means amount of heat produced is getting closer.
This is a better design to help with shading but not color blending.

That's if you run these things at full blast. I only run my G3 radion at 19% intensity.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could use either. Now if you don't keep sps that fluoresce and prefer a 10k color spectrum, you'll want the G5 PRO. It's got the white LEDs you need to achieve that. The G5 Blue has extremely few. 6 white vs 40 royal blue leds. Add in the blue leds too and that 6 white leds vs 64 leds in the blue category.

That's if you run these things at full blast. I only run my G3 radion at 19% intensity.

I doubt most people run at 19 percent.
Matter of fact I think more and more are running them close to full.
Allot more people are raising them for better coverage, less shading and better color blending.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

juniorwit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dannnnngggg. Just getting into this hobby (and new to the forum) but these look so so amazing.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't forget the defusers. I just bumped up to 60% @ 12" off the water.

This design seem to be more targeted to compete with the Orphek fixture.

I wonder if they will still sell the G4. They should they are almost two different fixtures in layout of leds..

This fixture would be better for shadows than the G4 but less color blending. Also should be less shimmer.
The lens can help allot with color blending. I do not get why other fixtures don't use a lens.

I wonder does the lens come standard or is it a option?

I am still waiting for a fixture to light indirectly.

Almost all the led 2x2 and 2x4 we spec for commercial are either indirect now or light panels. Light panels just started getting popular last year.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dannnnngggg. Just getting into this hobby (and new to the forum) but these look so so amazing.
Hey welcome to the reef life and R2R. Check out the bottom quote to get an idea of the punishment :p
The Radions are top tier, I have the G4's and am pleased with them. They should go on sale if you want to save a few.
Best of Luck!
You must have deep pockets for this. When I started this I thought I could do saltwater fish and some coral for $500, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha haaa. Ha. Funny right? Two weeks later I was spending $2600 on a "reef ready" tank, stand and hood and then $600 just on rock. Then there was the sump, and the return pump, and the circulation pumps, heaters, heater controllers, 6 part RODI with extra DI resin, protein skimmer, and light$$$$, salt.

Color based chemical test kits quickly turned into needing Hanna Checkers when I was scratching my head wondering what the heck a blue meant in decimal places. LOL. Seriously though, right?!

Then I realized I need QUARANTINE tanks, which need lights, heaters, bubblers, PVC pipe, and filters... oh, and don't forget medications.

Then I realized my fish need multiple types of food, then I realized my corals need multiple types of food.

Then I ordered corals, and realized that I needed some frag racks and some tools.

Then I realized I really need a water change kit, a large garbage pail to cure rock in, circ pump and heater to cure rock, super glue, a pump to mix my salt and a powerhead for my coral QT.

Then I realized that I really need a Herbie overflow for my DT - so only $350 in plumbing parts, PVC cement, primer.

Then I realized I had to paint the back of my DT black if I don't wanna look at wires, so paint and supplies.

Then I realized that my corals need Calcium, Alk, Magnesium, Iodide, etc... So I needed supplements - AND more Hanna checkers.

Then my QT was getting algea, so I needed cleanup inverts for my coral QT and phosphate remover.

Then there's the stuff I forgot to mention, 5 gallon buckets, Booster Pump, Rubber tubing, yoga mat, fish nets, fish acclimator, various clamps, suction cups, towels, under-floor support - oh, and adding my tanks on my home owners insurance.

Did I mention good power strips?... An ansorbant rug for water changes, bowls for fish acclimating, lids for my QT tanks, measuring cups, turkey basters, thermometers, frag plugs, filter media, filter media bags, extra filter socks... If I knew what I was gonna end up spending at the get go - I might have taken 3 trips to Europe or one trip to Disney instead.

I'm glad came back to Reefing.

I can't even list all the stuff I bought so far - but - I use it all every day or at least every week - All of it. I absolutely love this hobby. LOVE IT! It's the best investment in myself that I've ever made. It has eradicated 80% of my severe PTSD, I've learned new talents, and a few things about life and myself on this adventure so far. Worth every red cent. I'm very grateful for what I have here. Love it with all my heart.

In conclusion:
What's one needs:
1) Deep pockets (as deep as the sea) or a PT job on the side to afford all this
2) Brains. If you can't at least do some do some algebra, forget it. Integral calculus is recommended.
3) Attunement with your tank - being able to tell if a coral is "happy" or if a fish is "stressed" - Observation, being in tune, and some psychic ability help here. I swear my corals know when I'm looking at them. I swear! LOL
4) The ability to learn from mistakes and not make them again - and the ability to be careful whose advice you follow. Not all advice is good advice.
5) The wisdom to know that there is more money in the LFS selling you sick fish than in healthy ones. I was told yesterday that "everybody's tank has Ich" - I thought to myself, "well yeah, if they bought fish from you and didn't quarantine"
6) The ability to lie about what you are spending on fish and corals to people who would otherwise criticise you and call you crazy - this one is very very important and could possibly save your life or your marriage. LOL
7) An account on R2R to help you figure all this stuff out
8) The patience of God Almighty - and Responsiveness to make changes when needed
9) The maturity to know that you are responsible for the mistakes you make - the ability to learn from those disappointments, and the brains to figure out the best and most reasonable solutions.

Nuff said. Happy Reefing!!!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G5 Blue has extremely few. 6 white vs 40 royal blue leds. Add in the blue leds too and that 6 white leds vs 64 leds in the blue category.

Honestly. I think that is probably because so many radion (and led in general) users are running the blues and violets maxed out and the whites down to basically nothing, some not even using them at all.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody knows how much will cost these new radion?
I need to start hiding money from my test return, so my wife will not know much cost the light

Have your mechanic buy it and than pay your mechanic for it.

Show your wife a receipt that shows you paid for a new radiator.

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody knows how much will cost these new radion?
I need to start hiding money from my test return, so my wife will not know much cost the light

I was told they will be the same price as the g4, also these lights are brighter and have more coverage, ecotech rep said one light can easily cover a 48” tank. I’m actually considering these lights for my new build I was told I would only need 3 and I have a 96” x 30” x 25” tank

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told they will be the same price as the g4, also these lights are brighter and have more coverage, ecotech rep said one light can easily cover a 48” tank. I’m actually considering these lights for my new build I was told I would only need 3 and I have a 96” x 30” x 25” tank
That's wishful thinking. It may cover 48", but you won't be growing much of anything that demands light.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's wishful thinking. It may cover 48", but you won't be growing much of anything that demands light.

No way I’d trust one unit to cover more than 24”x18” of a young tank with lots of lps or sps frags. Once colonies mature into big boys and girls I would expect the same process as any serious sps reefer does which is double the fixtures into a front/back situation and run two rows rather than one down the middle. Or double them up and turn them perpendicular

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back