Radion Gen 5 LED will come in Pro and Blue Versions!

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should cover 24x18 no problem. These fix most of the things wrong with the LED config on the radions. I am interested in what % of max forward voltage they are driving the chips at.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way I’d trust one unit to cover more than 24”x18” of a young tank with lots of lps or sps frags. Once colonies mature into big boys and girls I would expect the same process as any serious sps reefer does which is double the fixtures into a front/back situation and run two rows rather than one down the middle. Or double them up and turn them perpendicular
And start adding T5s :rolleyes:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which the best choice between Blue and Pro for SPS coral ?
The Blue is for those that are set on running AB+ (which is pretty much where most Radion users end up). When you set all the sliders to 100% it will be set to the AB+ spectrum. The benefit to this over the Pro is when set to AB+ the Blue will yield 50% more intensity over the the Pro.

in short, if AB+ is your preference get the Blue. If you're happier in the 10-14k range then Pro is the way to go.

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL 215 watts that is getting close in watts to a 250 watt halide fixture.
Not much of a energy savings anymore.
Also means amount of heat produced is getting closer.
That's not how wattage works. MH lights are less efficient at creating light, so more of the watts are turned into heat, rather than light. An led at a similar wattage will produce a lot more light than a MH.
For reference, MH lights get about 30 lumens per watt for the entire system while LEDs get about 50.
So a 250w MH system is gonna give you 7500 lumens
A 212w LED is gonna give 10,600 lumens, and also probably less than half the heat of the MH system.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's not how wattage works. MH lights are less efficient at creating light, so more of the watts are turned into heat, rather than light. An led at a similar wattage will produce a lot more light than a MH.
For reference, MH lights get about 30 lumens per watt for the entire system while LEDs get about 50.
So a 250w MH system is gonna give you 7500 lumens
A 212w LED is gonna give 10,600 lumens, and also probably less than half the heat of the MH system.

A watt of heat is a watt of heat no matter the source..

200 watts from a pump, motor, led, halide no matter what it is the same heat. Has nothing to do with efficiency..
A watt in is a watt out.

Mainly light out put has to do with efficiency, there can be some loss in the electronics. Halides do waste more light because they bounce more around. This is what you are talking about. The fact they bounce more light around is a disadvantage in some situations but also a advantage in some by not creating shadows and self shading..

Halides are better when you need to light something that also needs vertical footcandles. Leds are great for horizontal footcandles.

Halides can also produce a little heat from UV but UV is what gives the halides their advantage for shallow water SPS.

Eventually we will actually see led fixtures with UV diodes and the reason we do not right now is they are more expensive than led fixtures. Yea we see some dip a little into the UV spectrum.

Led efficiency comes from being more of a point source and puts light where it needs to be... That is great if you are trying to light a flat surface but harder for vertical foot candles. Light fixture companies need to use trick to help leds out for vertical footcandles. This comes at a price and that is efficeincy.

To over come this led manufacturers are adding more leds and creating a more of a light wall above and this means uping the amount of watts. People need to realise everything comes at a price. All lighting has advantages and disadvantages. Certain lighting is good for certain application but not others.

What Em is doing here is trying to help with shadows and they are doing that by adding more leds and spreading them out. That hurts with color blending though. The lens can help with that but now it hurt efficiency some.
I would bet to that they added more leds and lowered the wattage on them but I do not know for sure.. That helps with blending. Also raising the fixture can help with blending but that means cranking up the watts to make up for the distance and also mean a little more light loss..

If you take a Kessil fixture that has a real tight cluster it will have better color blending of the leds the disadvantage is more shadows and more self shading. Now take a Orphek fixture which uses a wall of light there is less color blending but less shadows. There is give and take in everything.

I work in the lighting industry I do this stuff almost every day. I work for a electrical engineering company.

Last edited:

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One unit to cover 48"? Lol
Oh man that is wishful thinking. Aren't these G5s the same dimensions as the G4s and previous no? These G5s seem cool and new but can't say I'm blown away. People still gonna be adding T5s to these I'm sure, and do these actually come with the diffuser built in or is that an extra purchase still? They're nice but the Orphek Atlantic has my attention still.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diffuser is extra.
Are you serious?
This really gets me. With Radions I have a love/hate thing. They have a great light sure but the diffuser part being extra, come on. They make a regular model and then have this pro model which if its "pro", then why not have the diffuser on it built in?
Just the 2 cents

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the diffusers on my G3's. They block a lot of light, look nice & don't blind you when looking at tank. I took them off a few months back & probably will not put them back on. I like the shimmer which they block completely. I think they will cost about $70.00 each. Most likely I won't be buying them when I get two of the G5's. But, who knows, they might be necessary with the led spread of the G5's. We will see...

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1581664493926.png

1581664533386.png

1581664551555.png

1581664585269.png

G5.png

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ecotech-g5s-release.690284/#post-7080531
Do they have a cool shimmer like Kessil. If they do, then I'm all in.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a cool shimmer like Kessil. If they do, then I'm all in.

I don’t have to own one to answer an easy no. Kessils have a light source the size of a pencil eraser. These have a large footprint of even light. The laws of physics (and having seen lots of radions and kessils in person) say the shimmer will be quite different. Radions have more of a gentle shimmer. It’s there but you won’t get real hard caustics. Kessils honestly have TOO much shimmer for my taste

Joe Anderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have to own one to answer an easy no. Kessils have a light source the size of a pencil eraser. These have a large footprint of even light. The laws of physics (and having seen lots of radions and kessils in person) say the shimmer will be quite different. Radions have more of a gentle shimmer. It’s there but you won’t get real hard caustics. Kessils honestly have TOO much shimmer for my taste
Well I like it. I've had Radion Gen 4 Pros as well great product. It would nice to have the whole experience in one light.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the g5 blues. Probably gonna look into some g4 xr15’s on liquidation to replace a 26hd over my cube ;)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I like it. I've had Radion Gen 4 Pros as well great product. It would nice to have the whole experience in one light.

I agree it would. It’s just realistically impossible to have a tiny point source which is also a large source of incidence. It’s just two completely opposing things. Can’t be small and large at the same time.

Back