Radion Gen 5 LED will come in Pro and Blue Versions!

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A watt of heat is a watt of heat no matter the source..

200 watts from a pump, motor, led, halide no matter what it is the same heat. Has nothing to do with efficiency..
A watt in is a watt out.

Mainly light out put has to do with efficiency, there can be some loss in the electronics.

This is the only part of your post that's right.
The reason Lumens was mentioned rather than PAR is because PAR is local brightness (at specific spectra), where lumens is total light output. A lens can affect PAR or another brightness measurement, but it doesnt affect lumens.

All light sources turn some of their electricity into light, but most into heat.
(The following numbers are all best-case scenarios)
Incandescents are ~98% heat and 2% light
MH is ~76% heat 24% light
LEDs are ~50/50
So our theoretical 250w MH is putting out 190w of heat while the 212w LED is putting out 106w
This is why an equivalent LED runs cooler. It's more efficient at producing the light from the electricity it uses.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1581664493926.png

1581664533386.png

1581664551555.png

1581664585269.png

G5.png

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ecotech-g5s-release.690284/#post-7080531
Just a case of the BEST getting BETTER...

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much?

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are the same as the gen 4 they are already available on the site to purchase. The gen 4 were reduced significantly in my opinion. I’m looking at the g5 however if I get a good deal from an lfs to buy their old g4 as they swap out g5 I will definitely go that route since they have only had the lights up since Aug and do not run them at a high percentage. The one thing I like about the g5 is no reef link is needed

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it would. It’s just realistically impossible to have a tiny point source which is also a large source of incidence. It’s just two completely opposing things. Can’t be small and large at the same time.
Actually that describes metal halides..Starts out as a "small" point light source
metalhalidelampsfigure4.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A watt of heat is a watt of heat no matter the source..

200 watts from a pump, motor, led, halide no matter what it is the same heat. Has nothing to do with efficiency..
A watt in is a watt out.
bigger thing is watt efficiency..
LEDs use about half the energy of metal halides to deliver the same amount of light, and they last seven times longer, on average. A 20,000-lumen LED and a 455-watt metal halide produce roughly the same amount of light, but a typical LED fixture uses less than 200 watts to do so.
Prob a bit exaggerated but still holds. I've personally abandoned the 2:1 watt ratio mostly because it depends on the quality of diodes and doesn't create a recipe for failure w/ sub-standard diodes. Besides the cost of LED "watts" has dropped considerably.
Secondly that bouncing around (MH) creates losses by photon re-absorption and plain losses. LED's have some of the same re-absorption internally but on a smaller scale..

Point is current LED's (not including cheap diodes) out-perform MH's in photons/watt.. both internally (watt effciency) and externally (less wasted by bouncing photons).

Of course part of the cost of that is less overall err diffusion. MH's shadow as well though just not as much.
MH's ARE point light sources.. in the beginning.. just like LED's.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody know how long the G4 pros will continue to be available? Will they stop producing them immediately? I want to know if i have time to finish paying off my last large purchase before moving onto the next :p

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody know how long the G4 pros will continue to be available? Will they stop producing them immediately? I want to know if i have time to finish paying off my last large purchase before moving onto the next :p

I doubt they will keep producing G4s once the G5 is out (if they haven't stopped production already). Just wouldn't make sense to keep producing an older model once the newest is launched.

Once the avaliable stock runs dry I'd imagine that would be that.

Acan man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I’m thinking I have old technology with my old AI Sol and LOOK these manufacturers are going back to simple times. Ummm think I should stay where I am.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that describes metal halides..Starts out as a "small" point light source
metalhalidelampsfigure4.jpg

I see what you’re getting at, but it doesn’t start big. It starts small and you Put it in a big reflector at it becomes big with many many points of reflection. The kessils stay small. Add more and the shimmer reduces. Kind of like putting 15-20 kessils in a tight grid. Then you’d lose a lot of those hard caustics from so many points of incidence

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So really, what would produce better results? These stand alone or a T5 hybrid with a much less expensive LED fixture? I tend to think they would produce equal results..

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow bulk reef just killed the used market on the g4's.

335 for the xr15 pro w/ diffuser.

x2 for the xr30

Back