Radion Gen5 XR15/XR30 Observations and Issues

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the new LED layout and light spread looks great. So at their primary function the lights seem to succeed. However, for the premium we pay for these lights, the whole package isn't up to the quality I would expect. I've contacted Ecotech but haven't heard back yet.

For context, I have 2 XR15’s and 1 XR30. I’m replacing 3 XR15 Gen3’s because the fan noise was driving me crazy, and the Gen5 fans were custom designed to be better (?).

Hardware:
  • As said above, the new LED’s and spread look great.
  • The fans are louder than my old Gen 3’s. The XR 30 fan is even louder and seems almost to be rubbing.
  • The fans seem to be either off or jump to 75% speed, so maybe this can be fixed in firmware. This is with the lights just running at 45% intensity in a 70 degree F room. Since I seem to be on a temperature threshold, I'd much rather have a "barely spinning" mode for the fan that would keep them from ever ramping up further.
  • The lights "pop" and "crack" when warming up. Disconcerting, but maybe will stop eventually?

Software (note that there seems to be different versions for iOS and Android - and the Android version seems to be missing some features):
  • Mobius seems unfinished - or at least not polished. As said above, this is for Android, so may be different for iOS.
    • Feels very cramped compared to Ecosmart Live.
    • Text labels don't seem to fit the text inside of them, so they are being clipped. Not a huge issue, but I can't tell if I'm missing something else beyond what I can see.
    • Can't adjust the moon-lights for a schedule point. The "moon" icon seems to be missing. I can only adjust the overall intensity of a night point, not the individual moon-lights.
    • Missing advanced device settings "max fan speed".
    • "Settings/Troubleshooting/Verify Settings" has a ton red exclamation points, but offers no way to fix them.
    • "Settings/Troubleshooting/Search Network" crashes Mobius.
    • Rotating the screen while editing a point loses the changes.
    • Anytime Mobius loses focus it resets to the beginning, losing all changes.
    • Device back button exits the app in many places and doesn't go back within the app, causing the app to reset.
    • (Added 3/17) - Lights seem to get off programming overnight...Hitting "Resume Schedule" on Mobius "fixes" the issue.

Some screenshots with some of the issues:
- No moonlight setting and text being clipped:
1584027796689.png
1584027879101.png

- "Verify settings" - problems, but no way or guidance on how to fix:
1584028022000.png

- "Max Fan Speed" iOS vs Android:
1584028096353.png
1584028154384.png

Last edited:

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, the new LED layout and light spread looks great. So at their primary function the lights seem to succeed. However, for the premium we pay for these lights, the whole package isn't up to the quality I would expect. I've contacted Ecotech but haven't heard back yet.

For context, I have 2 XR15’s and 1 XR30. I’m replacing 3 XR15 Gen3’s because the fan noise was driving me crazy, and the Gen5 fans were custom designed to be better (?).

Hardware:
  • As said above, the new LED’s and spread look great.
  • The fans are louder than my old Gen 3’s. The XR 30 fan is even louder and seems almost to be rubbing.
  • The fans seem to be either off or jump to 75% speed, so maybe this can be fixed in firmware. This is with the lights just running at 45% intensity in a 70 degree F room. Since I seem to be on a temperature threshold, I'd much rather have a "barely spinning" mode for the fan that would keep them from ever ramping up further.
  • The lights "pop" and "crack" when warming up. Disconcerting, but maybe will stop eventually?

Software (note that there seems to be different versions for iOS and Android - and the Android version seems to be missing some features):
  • Mobius seems unfinished - or at least not polished. As said above, this is for Android, so may be different for iOS.
    • Feels very cramped compared to Ecosmart Live.
    • Text labels don't seem to fit the text inside of them, so they are being clipped. Not a huge issue, but I can't tell if I'm missing something else beyond what I can see.
    • Can't adjust the moon-lights for a schedule point. The "moon" icon seems to be missing. I can only adjust the overall intensity of a night point, not the individual moon-lights.
    • Missing advanced device settings "max fan speed".
    • "Settings/Troubleshooting/Verify Settings" has a ton red exclamation points, but offers no way to fix them.
    • "Settings/Troubleshooting/Search Network" crashes Mobius.
    • Rotating the screen while editing a point loses the changes.
    • Anytime Mobius loses focus it resets to the beginning, losing all changes.
    • Device back button exits the app in many places and doesn't go back within the app, causing the app to reset.

Some screenshots with some of the issues:
- No moonlight setting and text being clipped:
1584027796689.png
1584027879101.png

- "Verify settings" - problems, but no way or guidance on how to fix:
1584028022000.png

- "Max Fan Speed" iOS vs Android:
1584028096353.png
1584028154384.png
I have noticed the exact thing! Frustrating. I cant finish calibrating lights because it doesn't fit my phone screen! I get half way through, cant finish. I can visually tell the lights need calibrating. Too many red exclamation Mark's, cant fix.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on the fan situation. I'm now "supplementing" the XR15 and XR30 fans with a tiny USB powered computer fan (in this case 50x50x10) and I am able to go to 60% brightness on the XR15 without having the internal fan kick in. And this little fan is dead silent. I had to go slightly larger for the XR30 - 80x80x10 - to run at 60%, which is higher than I need anyway, as 45%-50% seems to be my sweet spot for PAR in my tank.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the internal fan controller, as even a minimal amount of spin would create enough cooling to keep the lights cool and quiet. It feels like a hack, but it will keep me sane until Ecotech can fix the fan situation.

1584140020131.png

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on the fan situation. I'm now "supplementing" the XR15 and XR30 fans with a tiny USB powered computer fan (in this case 50x50x10) and I am able to go to 60% brightness on the XR15 without having the internal fan kick in. And this little fan is dead silent. I had to go slightly larger for the XR30 - 80x80x10 - to run at 60%, which is higher than I need anyway, as 45%-50% seems to be my sweet spot for PAR in my tank.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the internal fan controller, as even a minimal amount of spin would create enough cooling to keep the lights cool and quiet. It feels like a hack, but it will keep me sane until Ecotech can fix the fan situation.

1584140020131.png
yea you should never have to do that for the price premium these things are

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1584140020131.png
I’ve had to do the same thing with a small Vornado fan. I get tired of my G5 XR30 Blues fans going into what seems like overdrive all day. I sit right next to them since I work from home. The extra fan definitely helps but the G5 fans are louder than the small fan I use to cool them off. Definitely frustrated to say the least. Plenty of other Mobius related issues, which hopefully Ecotech will come out with a OS/ firmware update. As for the creaking it’s almost as if the LEDs are enclosed by the new moisture resistant Lens shield and they’re heating up expanding the fixture throughout the day. Makes me question the integrity of the clear lens shield since there are several post about these cracked in transit.

U

User1

View Badges
I see a few threads here and elsewhere talking about pops and fans just wondering if you have reached out to ecotech? If so, have they made any suggestions? It is more out of curiosity than me purchasing - wondering if this is a few number of units or a larger issue.

Seems like this would have been seen in testing.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I really wanted these I’m sick of my new ai primes . It’s crazy the amount you have to pay for things now just to be disappointed

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few threads here and elsewhere talking about pops and fans just wondering if you have reached out to ecotech? If so, have they made any suggestions? It is more out of curiosity than me purchasing - wondering if this is a few number of units or a larger issue.

Seems like this would have been seen in testing.
Ecotech ask that you report issues through the Mobius app so they can track the issue. As for a real explanation of the reported issues... personally I don’t think they have one. Not sure if they’re chalking it up to the App/software or hardware. Overall seems like not enough testing before releasing to consumers.

Gaz6153

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having very similar problems with my units here in the UK, was trying to find info which lead me to this thread on here. I run Ios operating system and also have problems with the verify functions.
I took some decibel readings with mine today and one of my lights was registering 80db

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having very similar problems with my units here in the UK, was trying to find info which lead me to this thread on here. I run Ios operating system and also have problems with the verify functions.
I took some decibel readings with mine today and one of my lights was registering 80db

I couldn't tell if that was an XR15 or 30, but based on the "Scratchy" fan sound, it sounds like my XR30. Definitely not a smooth running fan.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems eco tech is going the way of video games. Rush to the market with a 75% done product and let the customers be the beta testers. I know if I am editing my lighting on the Ai app it has a tendency to crash. I think it’s saving changes as it goes and crashing. Weird cause never happened when they had WiFi just now that they are BT. I don’t know why Eco has to rush these lights out unless they knew something big was coming soon and they wanted to beat the competition to market. Maybe they know Phillips is releasing in the next couple months and had no choice but to release what they had.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall seems like not enough testing before releasing to consumers.

How often have we had this conclusion with high end equipment. Paying top dollar you have a right to expect what you are paying for. These companies are using customers as their testers and fault finders, cheaper than employing staff to test them and you pay them for the privilege.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant speak to the Radions but my Orpheks do a similar thing with small snaps, crackles and pops while heating up and cooling down. Makes me think its got something to do with the larger boards. That said over the 3 years Ive used them it hasnt had any detrimental affects.

The fans always running is what kept me away from Radions in the past. I am considering an upgrade down the line and hope they fix these issues for you all.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Waynerock, post: 7207610, member: ] I don’t know why Eco has to rush these lights out unless they knew something big was coming soon and they wanted to beat the competition to market. Maybe they know Phillips is releasing in the next couple months and had no choice but to release what they had.[/QUOTE]

Kessil, Philip's, and neptune are all releasing lights this year in the USA

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a new problem today...I've noticed a few times now where my lights don't seem to be following the schedule - for instance I woke up this morning and the lights were already on, 2 hours early, and they were all at different levels. Hitting the "resume schedule" button in Mobius "fixed" the issue, but I have no idea why it isn't following the programming.

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bit surprise by all this.
Make sure to provide information to them via email or app, also what version of OS and stuff like this.

On my S10 Android I don't have all those issue, I'm probably missing couple feature from iOS Apple but it's seem to be fine so far despite couples little issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back