Radion XR-15 G4 to T5/Hybrid w/ Par Readings- Help with plan of Attack

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my lighting over my IM Lagoon 25 Gallon tank from a single Radion XR-15 G4 Pro (with Diffuser) to the AquaticLife LED/T5 Hybrid. From front to back, my bulbs are ATI B+, P+, C+, B+. I'm running a modified AB+ Spectrum on my Radion. This is my first time combining lights and would like some advice on which setting to go with. Keep in mind these bulbs only have about 2hrs on them so far.

I'll start out with the spectrum I'm running on my Radion G4 Pro Currently. 100% point intensity, running at 50% schedule intensity. I'm seeing growth, but not as much as I'd like. I ramp up from 10a-11a, with peak intensity running from 11a-6p, with a ramp down and moonlight period to 11pm.
IMG_8429.jpeg

For starters, here's the baseline PAR I'm seeing with just the Radion mounted 9" above the tank. (Same height as the RMS mount)
50percentNoT5.jpg

With the light running at 50%, here are the PAR values when the T5s are on.
50percentT5.jpg

For science, I also recorded PAR with T5s on at various LED intensities.

40% w/ T5s
40percentT5.jpg

30% w/ T5's
300percentT5.jpg

20% w/ T5's
20percentT5.jpg

T5's only
0percentT5.jpg

I just started incorporating the T5's for 1hr each day at the current 50% LED setting. My plan was to increase the duration by 1hr each week until I'm running at the full 7hrs peak photoperiod. Does that sound like a good plan? I'm keeping a mixed reef with mainly SPS/LPS. Does the 50% with T5's look like too much PAR? I'm mainly concerned about my Euphillya/Acans.

Thanks, and I hope these readings are helpful to others with similar tank/lights.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan looks sound. Great job on doing the readings!

50% will be okay, maybe give 45% a run, and perhaps go heavier on the blues, no whites from the Radion. For any low light pieces, I pushed mine off to the sides and onto the sandbed (4 bulb t5, same bulbs, 2 x kessils, 1 x reefbrite xho in blue). I will say that my tank is shallow and my lights are maybe 18" total from sandbed to fixture, and I definitely lightened up the colors (in a bad way) on lps that were in the middle and on the sand. It's a lot of light

OP
OP
abuch010

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan looks sound. Great job on doing the readings!

50% will be okay, maybe give 45% a run, and perhaps go heavier on the blues, no whites from the Radion. For any low light pieces, I pushed mine off to the sides and onto the sandbed (4 bulb t5, same bulbs, 2 x kessils, 1 x reefbrite xho in blue). I will say that my tank is shallow and my lights are maybe 18" total from sandbed to fixture, and I definitely lightened up the colors (in a bad way) on lps that were in the middle and on the sand. It's a lot of light

Thanks,
So I just took out the white on the Radion, and tested the PAR with the T5's.. Interestingly enough it seems like my PAR values got higher than with the whites- is that because more power is driven to the blues by removing the whites?

50% no white w/ T5
50percentNOWHITET5.jpg

40% no white w/ T5
40percentT5NOwhite.jpg

30% no white w/ T5
30percentT5nowhite.jpg

Is it harmful to be removing the white channels entirely? Or do the T5's make up for it?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it's harmful, but there's a chance of "FOMO" from not getting the various spectrums from the Radion. If you would prefer to leave the whites in and you like the color of the tank more, then definitely leave them in. TBH I would put it at 35% and try to hit 350 par at the top peak.

You'll have to really find some lower lit spots and get created for the lps, sofites, and what not

OP
OP
abuch010

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it's harmful, but there's a chance of "FOMO" from not getting the various spectrums from the Radion. If you would prefer to leave the whites in and you like the color of the tank more, then definitely leave them in. TBH I would put it at 35% and try to hit 350 par at the top peak.

You'll have to really find some lower lit spots and get created for the lps, sofites, and what not

After messing around with it, seems like I've found my preferred color with all blues 100%, green 20%, red 25%, warm+cool white at 15%. Since I'm currently running my LED at 50% intensity, with the goal being 35%, how can I balance reducing LED intensity while acclimating the T5s?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After messing around with it, seems like I've found my preferred color with all blues 100%, green 20%, red 25%, warm+cool white at 15%. Since I'm currently running my LED at 50% intensity, with the goal being 35%, how can I balance reducing LED intensity while acclimating the T5s?

Take your # of weeks and make intervals.

+1 hour of t5's a week til full photo period = 7 weeks right?

Divide your Radion values by 7 and then increase them alongside the t5's
Divide your Radion intensity by 7 and then decrease them alongside the t5's

100/7 = ~14%
20/7 = ~3%

Note: I don't have radions. You may not even need to adjust the individual color channels, and only just intensity. I added them to the table just in case you wanted to

Take a piece of paper or something, draw a table, and then jot down what your % values should be over the span of 7 weeks. Similar to this:

Week 1Week 2Week 34567
Radion White14%28%42%56%70%84%100%
Radion Green36912151820
Radion Intensity5047.54542.54037.535
T5's1 hr2 hr3 hr4 hr5 hr6 hr7 hr

Last edited:

Crytpotank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious how this has aged? I have the G5s with T5 Hybrid, going through exactly the same process you went through. Any advice? I only have a couple new corals so might stick them in the shade and screw the acclimating like you did?

OP
OP
abuch010

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very curious how this has aged? I have the G5s with T5 Hybrid, going through exactly the same process you went through. Any advice? I only have a couple new corals so might stick them in the shade and screw the acclimating like you did?

I gradually reduced the LED lights and added an hour of T5 each week until I was at my full photoperiod. I think I ended up at 35% LED, which actually bleached a monti cap I had. I've since reduced the Radion down to 20% while the T5's are on and all of my coral is doing very nicely.

Back