Radion XR15 G4 just stopped working, getting no power from power brick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power brick is getting power, but the light itself is not -- The buttons on the radion are not lighting up which means resetting is not an option.

Any chance it's not bricked? It's only 2-ish years old.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a multi-meter? You could check to see if there is any voltage on the power brick.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check your other dc equipment and see if you have another brick with the same power output. I had a brand new eflux pump that got power from the brick but, wouldn't pump. Tried another brick and it worked fine. That would at least tell you if it's the light or the brick.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i do not, but the blue power LED on the brick is lit u when plugged in still.
Means nothing AFAICT..at least w/ my experiences w/ other power supplies.
Even measuring the voltage out is sometimes suspect. Doesn't mean it can maintain it under load as
shown from the above post.

Best test is a separate power supply.
Just match voltage and wattage

Just get an open frame one unless you really need those poorly ventilated and built Chinese junk most companies use..

24V 150W should do..

XR G4 pros are listed at 95W.. so at 24V that's 3.95A.. Using somewhat standard "fudge factor..4.34A (105W) should be minimum used..
Granted most dim somewhat but hey.. amps are pretty cheap at his level,

Max wattage is 90 (3.75A) but at least it's a Meanwell.

JUST make sure you match voltage on the orig. and equal or greater amps/watts

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power brick is getting power, but the light itself is not -- The buttons on the radion are not lighting up which means resetting is not an option.

I would suggest contacted ETM costumer service.

BruceLeeroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the light on the brick is on it’s likely the board of the light, mine just did that very thing and support said it was the driver when I sent it in.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. After 2 days of inaction due to being annoyed, preparing to move everything from the frag tank to the display, settling on trying a new power brick because that's a cheaper option than flat out buying a new radion..

It just turned back on. No rhyme or reason. Nothing changed. It just turned on.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're up to the task, you could take it apart and check for loose connections, be careful not to damage anything in the process....

My first thought is that a connector isn't fully seated somewhere

To just randomly turn on like that, I have to say it sounds possible.

Kevin moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had same problem the buttons were on but no light and every time I tried the mobius it came on went out tried reset completely went out took it back where I bought it he said it may be a fuse but gave me the address to send it to as was still under warranty I took it apart no fuse no sign of damage so sent it of cost me £16 pounds they look said it was water damage not on the warranty cost of repair £300 but will do for £150 they had me by the bollicks I made a flat lid covers the tank cut a hole for the light it is 8inches above tank so how can water get in suspension above tank requirement 8-10 I been had some where so please watch out

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. After 2 days of inaction due to being annoyed, preparing to move everything from the frag tank to the display, settling on trying a new power brick because that's a cheaper option than flat out buying a new radion..

It just turned back on. No rhyme or reason. Nothing changed. It just turned on.
one of mine does this after a poweroutage. Except I have found the fix to be to rapidly power cycle the radion but plugging and unplugging the DC connector a few times....Always kicks right back on. It is some defect in their design it seems... It isnt the powerbrick either.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of mine does this after a poweroutage. Except I have found the fix to be to rapidly power cycle the radion but plugging and unplugging the DC connector a few times....Always kicks right back on. It is some defect in their design it seems... It isnt the powerbrick either.
Funny you mention this. I have a g6 that does the exact same thing.
If I cycle the power strip that all the lights are connected to one always remains off.

The only thing that fixes it is physically disconnecting the barrel plug and plug it back in.

I'd be curious to investigate this further, to see if it's the meanwell circuitry inside the power brick, or if there's something physically wrong with the wire connection behind the molded rubber.

My assumption would be the former, but need to test that idea.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To just randomly turn on like that, I have to say it sounds possible.

Scooby Doo Halloween GIF

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this. I have a g6 that does the exact same thing.
If I cycle the power strip that all the lights are connected to one always remains off.

The only thing that fixes it is physically disconnecting the barrel plug and plug it back in.

I'd be curious to investigate this further, to see if it's the meanwell circuitry inside the power brick, or if there's something physically wrong with the wire connection behind the molded rubber.

My assumption would be the former, but need to test that idea.
It is more then just disconnecting i need to do 2 or 3 power cycles in a matter of seconds. Also if i swap bricks the same unit stays off. So it isnt the brick.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back