Radion XR15

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m looking to upgrade my light fixture. Actually I have no choice, because my few corals are surviving, and my BTA is dying. I have been looking at Radions, but I’m really confused. First off, the cost of the new ones hurts my head a LOT lol. But, what’s the differences in the different gens? If I were to find a used G4, would I absolutely have to have a Reeflink in order to use my phone to control it? I guess I don’t understand how you control the lights, because I haven’t seen any controls, or actually had a chance to look at the lights themselves.I know the older ones are not Mobius controlled, but what about the gen 4? Is it worth it to get one? TIA

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m looking to upgrade my light fixture. Actually I have no choice, because my few corals are surviving, and my BTA is dying. I have been looking at Radions, but I’m really confused. First off, the cost of the new ones hurts my head a LOT lol. But, what’s the differences in the different gens? If I were to find a used G4, would I absolutely have to have a Reeflink in order to use my phone to control it? I guess I don’t understand how you control the lights, because I haven’t seen any controls, or actually had a chance to look at the lights themselves.I know the older ones are not Mobius controlled, but what about the gen 4? Is it worth it to get one? TIA
I have the XR-15 G4 and I have to use my laptop to make changes because I don’t have reeflink. But i’d say it’s worth it because the lights are great.

Acon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 XR15 Gen4. 2 of them are 1.8 yrs old and the other 2 are 6 months old. ALL of them were recognized and are compatible with the new app by Ecotech called Mobius. I no longer connect to my laptop via USB cable. Reeflink is not needed. If you buy a used G4, it may not be compatible if older (~3 yrs???)

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a quick convo with an Ecotech support person when buying my new Radions a few months back. I was asking the same question. They said that early model G4s had an older RF module that was green and this would not be mobius ready. Mid/older model G4s received an RF upgrade and the new module was black. If they have the black module, they will be able to connect to mobius.

If you remove the lens frame, you can see the RF module and check the color to see which version is installed.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically look for a black module. Thanks!

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Another question. If I do go with a used one, will the LEDs still be as intense? I know that T5s the bulbs lose a lot of the intensity as they age but never really heard the same with LEDs. I’ve personally never noticed it.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used usb to control the XR15G4. I have not connected it to mobius yet.
Support for usb is going away so I would try to find one that is mobius compatible.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back