Radion XR15x2 vs. XR30 vs. Kessil AP9X for 85g

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’m trying to figure out the lighting for my upcoming 85g display tank, with dimensions 36x28.x24.

There are three configurations that I’m considering:
  • Radion XR15 Blue x2: this seems like the “best” option in terms of flexibility, at a total cost of $1,172 (including mounting)
  • Radion XR30: this seems like the “best” option in terms of par/$ (and also seems better given the depth of my tank) at a total cost of $1,138 (including mounting)
  • Kessil AP9X: this seems like the “best” option in terms of overall cost at $968 (including mounting)
Thoughts: Based mostly on the various BRS videos and posts on this forum, it seems to me that:
  • Radion Blue’s seem to be preferred over Pro’s. Honestly, it’s not entirely clear to me why, but that seems to be the general consensus.
  • I like the flexibility of 2x XR15’s, but just want to confirm that they’re sufficient given the depth of my tank. I’m actually not too sure what I’m going to keep – this is my first foray in “real” reefing (I’ve kept fish + only a couple very easy corals in the past).
  • The Kessil seems to be not quite as well reviewed as the Radions; *but* they certainly are very well reviewed both by BRS and here, and they’re about 20% cheaper (and I figure I could supplement them later with other lights if I wanted to).
I’m not looking to buy based primarily on price, but I certainly don’t want to overspend (I've been in enough hobbies where the most expensive is definitely not the "best" for a particular application). My current thought is to go with the Radions, in which case I’d probably use all Ecotech products (Vectra S2 and VorTech (later though)) just to stay in the same software ecosystem. But that definitely seems to me to be the most expensive approach here.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar size tank and use 2 XR15 pros which seem to work fine with corals. I like the mobius app also.

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar size tank and use 2 XR15 pros which seem to work fine with corals. I like the mobius app also.
Are you using the track mounting? That seems like the cleanest approach (I read that using 2 separate arms back-mounted has alignment difficulties)?

if you're using the track mounting, can you slight it forward and back easily (i'm just thinking ease of maintenance). I don't think I'd want to be taking it off/on all the time...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the track mounting? That seems like the cleanest approach (I read that using 2 separate arms back-mounted has alignment difficulties)?

if you're using the track mounting, can you slight it forward and back easily (i'm just thinking ease of maintenance). I don't think I'd want to be taking it off/on all the time...
Separate arms, alignment slightly off but not noticeable or cause light variations in the tank.

Prince23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’m trying to figure out the lighting for my upcoming 85g display tank, with dimensions 36x28.x24.

• Radion XR15 Blue x2: this seems like the “best” option in terms of flexibility, at a total cost of $1,172 (including mounting)
  • Radion XR30: this seems like the “best” option in terms of par/$ (and also seems better given the depth of my tank) at a total cost of $1,138 (including mounting)
  • Kessil AP9X: this seems like the “best” option in terms of overall cost at $968 (including mounting)
Thoughts: Based mostly on the various BRS videos and posts on this forum, it seems to me that:
  • Radion Blue’s seem to be preferred over Pro’s. Honestly, it’s not entirely clear to me why, but that seems to be the general consensus.
  • I like the flexibility of 2x XR15’s, but just want to confirm that they’re sufficient given the depth of my tank. I’m actually not too sure what I’m going to keep – this is my first foray in “real” reefing (I’ve kept fish + only a couple very easy corals in the past).
  • The Kessil seems to be not quite as well reviewed as the Radions; *but* they certainly are very well reviewed both by BRS and here, and they’re about 20% cheaper (and I figure I could supplement them later with other lights if I wanted to).
I’m not looking to buy based primarily on price, but I certainly don’t want to overspend (I've been in enough hobbies where the most expensive is definitely not the "best" for a particular application). My current thought is to go with the Radions, in which case I’d probably use all Ecotech products (Vectra S2 and VorTech (later though)) just to stay in the same software ecosystem. But that definitely seems to me to be the most expensive approach here.

Thanks in advance!
I would go with the xr15’s blues are absolutely stunning. I’m running 10 of them on my 130gal. I find the shimmer coral, lps and soft love it and thrive with considerable growth!! You will love the ease of use and Mobius is fantastic, I have 0 bad to say. There customer service and product are slick. I definitely give em props!! As lighting is definitely the key ingredient to and for success especially if it’s a display tank. Lol just my two cents!! The radions!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 152

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
totally unrelated (in terms of product), but, if i had the opportunity to do it again i would've gone with 2 AI Primes, rather than 1 Hydra 32HD.

so OP, in your case, i recommend going the 2x XR15 route. better light coverage, and maybe in the future you can add 1 or 2 LED bars for more spread.

Prince23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be very happy with a pair of Radion XR15 Blues. Definitely get the Blues over the Pros (you can always "de-tune" the Blues if you want more white, but I honestly think you'll prefer the Blues).
Or do what I’m doing!! Lol get the best of both worlds 8 blues and 2 pros. But you are very correct tbh they can be configured any way you like!! Very easily!!but I wouldn’t de-tune as you said the blues are killer!!

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like 2x XR15's are the general consensus.

*BUT* today, I'm seeing all the Black Friday deals and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an Apex, and thus want take full advantage of what I'm understanding is the best thing about the Apex/Neptune system: the Software. So, I was thinking of the Neptune Dawn but it's my understanding that the shimmer of that light is very low, so now I'm thinking of going with the Kessil AP9X. The Kessil is, apparently, fully compatible with Neptune and has the shimmer that I think I'd prefer and it's also on sale (so $880 w/mount); plus, it's my understanding that the Kessil rear arm mount is better than the Radion mount (which apparently sags).

Otherwise, it seems like the +$300 more for 2x XR15s seems a bit excessive and the software seems to be less than desired.

Any further thoughts on this? I'd very much hate the buy the Kessil and end up wishing I had got the XR15x2...

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
two lights will give better spread and coverage. one will have you wanting to get another.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
36x28 is a tough dimension to light. I don't think I saw but what corals do you plan? An XR15 will not cover 18x28 like you are asking. At best, they cover 18x18 once corals grow in. This leaves you a good 10" with no light.

An XR30 can cover 30x24 pretty well and you will want to add a second down the road and turn them "sideways" over the tank. That way each light easily covers the 18x28 you are asking for. The Neptune SKY would likely cover the 36x28 better than one XR30. It doesn't have much shimmer though.

Over the years I have ran so many lights I forget them all. Recently, I ran XR15s in both the Pro and Blue. I sold the Blue off very quickly. Looked terrible IMO and you can't turn down the blue LEDs for more white. You kill PAR with that. Much better to get the Pro and turn down the whites a little if you want more blue. You could go with one XR30 Pro and then add on the Reef Brite XHO kit. This will get more coverage and more blue.

I ran a Kessil A360X on one half of my tank for 4-5 months. The other half had a G4 Radion Pro. It was night and day different. The Radion side had better health and growth by a mile. The Kessil shimmer also looked terrible. It does NOT resemble halide shimmer. I am not the biggest fan of Kessil after that experiment. They aren't utilizing their technology properly. They day they do, they would be the light to beat though.

Speaking of halides, that is what I went back to in the end. There is nothing better available. They aren't for everyone and some installs won't work with halides but my opinion is my corals and their health come first. I can overcome any shortcomings halides might have.

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rtparty, thanks so much for your input. Just to confirm, I'd be getting 2x XR15's (if I went that route). Your comment re: the Kessil A360X is very helpful (as the AP9X is, apparently 2x A360X's). The fairly consistent opinion of the XR15's being "better" is making this a tough decision...

also, re: what corals I expect to keep, the honest answer is that I have no clue. This will be my first "real" reef tank, so I think the deciding factor for choice of coral will be my wife or me saying "ohh, those look neat/pretty/cool".

36x28 is a tough dimension to light. I don't think I saw but what corals do you plan? An XR15 will not cover 18x28 like you are asking. At best, they cover 18x18 once corals grow in. This leaves you a good 10" with no light.

An XR30 can cover 30x24 pretty well and you will want to add a second down the road and turn them "sideways" over the tank. That way each light easily covers the 18x28 you are asking for. The Neptune SKY would likely cover the 36x28 better than one XR30. It doesn't have much shimmer though.

Over the years I have ran so many lights I forget them all. Recently, I ran XR15s in both the Pro and Blue. I sold the Blue off very quickly. Looked terrible IMO and you can't turn down the blue LEDs for more white. You kill PAR with that. Much better to get the Pro and turn down the whites a little if you want more blue. You could go with one XR30 Pro and then add on the Reef Brite XHO kit. This will get more coverage and more blue.

I ran a Kessil A360X on one half of my tank for 4-5 months. The other half had a G4 Radion Pro. It was night and day different. The Radion side had better health and growth by a mile. The Kessil shimmer also looked terrible. It does NOT resemble halide shimmer. I am not the biggest fan of Kessil after that experiment. They aren't utilizing their technology properly. They day they do, they would be the light to beat though.

Speaking of halides, that is what I went back to in the end. There is nothing better available. They aren't for everyone and some installs won't work with halides but my opinion is my corals and their health come first. I can overcome any shortcomings halides might have.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
rtparty, thanks so much for your input. Just to confirm, I'd be getting 2x XR15's (if I went that route). Your comment re: the Kessil A360X is interesting (as the AP9X is, apparently 2x A360X's). I'm finding the fairly consistent opinion re: the XR15's being "better" interesting, making this a tough decision...

I know you would get 2 XR15s, but having two of them doesn't cover the 28" front to back you need. They will each cover 18x18 meaning you have 36x18" of coverage when placed side by side. This is where the XR30 comes in and is the better tool for the job. Turned so that it runs long way front to back, covers the 28".

Instead of running an XR30 like this:
____

You run two of them like this:

I I

Does that make more sense?

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha - so what you're saying is that I'll need 2xXR30's.

Actually that's very helpful. I may then just start with 1 XR 30 and go from there.

great input!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha - so what you're saying is that I'll need 2xXR30's.

Actually that's very helpful. I may then just start with 1 XR 30 and go from there.

great input!
For full coverage (especially with SPS), you will need 2 of the 30s in the end. Or 1 XR30 and the Reef Brite add on kit.

The G5 Radions were the best LEDs I have used. I always wanted to try an ATI Straton but they are impossible to find right now and $1100 was tough to stomach

saje2haha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks in advance!
Ap9x in the middle, g5 both end. Honestly i like ap9x more better. Im running 90gal with 1 xr15 g5 pro, 1 xr15 g5 blue and 1 ap9x.
A9B7B79A-CEFF-42C7-BBE9-D2B425717865.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back