Radion xr30 G3 repair question

Don's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Radion xr30 G3 that is not working properly ad was hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot it. The fan still works, but the lights will not come on. The only exception is if I unplug the light and then when I plug it in, the lights come on for about 2 seconds and then go off again. The buttons on the unit flash red and green. I've done a general cleaning and I've attached pictures. I would appreciate any suggestions as I'm trying to avoid sending it back to EcoTech for repair.

Thank you
20210618_130001[8888].jpg
20210618_130009[8889].jpg
20210618_130016[8890].jpg

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to run into a Gen3 with these symptoms that doesn't need some type of board level repair on either the LED module or the main board. the reason you are seeing the lights come on for a quick second is because the main board is sensing a short somewhere and shuts the light down to prevent further damage. One of my repair article covers it in detail:

You can also check my video series or Radion repairs for some ideas:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzkkWvD2apYWaTNU-9moaeveH46YK0RkN

and this video in particular:

Sending the light this old to Ecotech won't do you any good as they are no longer servicing Gen3 of this type. I can likely fix it for you if you prefer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Don's tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to run into a Gen3 with these symptoms that doesn't need some type of board level repair on either the LED module or the main board. the reason you are seeing the lights come on for a quick second is because the main board is sensing a short somewhere and shuts the light down to prevent further damage. One of my repair article covers it in detail:

Code:

Sending the light this old to Ecotech won't do you any good as they are no longer servicing Gen3 of this type. I can likely fix it for you if you prefer.

Thank you very much. Ill check out your video series. But I'd also like to contact you directly about possibly having you repair it.

I am curious, based on the pictures, does anything jump out as looking damaged, or is it not magnified enough to tell.

Upvote 0

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really hard to tell from the pictures. There's some corrosion on the mainboard, but most of the board components are on the other side and are not visible from this angle. Plus the LED module components are covered by the lens.
Feel free to pm me if you need any help.

Upvote 0

newfietexan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Code:

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back