Radions or Kessils? And cords for multiples and apex

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
In the process of starting my new tank build (finally!)
The drmensions of the tank are:
48x18x30
So it’s fairly deep... it will be a mixed tank and I’d like some corals on/near sand bed.

I’m contemplating between the radions or the kessilA306 N E’s.... I am leaning towards the N E’s simply because the tank is fairly tall and narrow... and I don’t want any wasted light spilling out everywhere so it seems to me they are my best options and looking for opinions on either or something else....
For a tank my size I was going to get 3.... I think that should be enough (don’t think I could quite get away with 2 but if you guys think so let me know!)

Second questions... I also will have an apex set up...so if I am correct do I need:
1x Apex control cable (I just need 1 to connect the master light if I’m correct)
2x unit link cables (to connect 3 lights... 1 to attach to each of the slave lights- light 2 and 3)
(If I used 3 lights)

Also, if you have another suggestion let me know what I need to make it work with my apex please and thanks!!!

My tank is braced so also not sure what to use for a mount? (Tank is in a visible place so anything that will hide the wires the best)

If I am mistaken or wrong about any of the cords needed to connect the kessils or the kessils to the apex let me know... also if you think I should go another route or add a take away a light let me know!!

Thanks

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two Radion xr30’s. They have a 30” spread and are plenty powerful enough for a 30” deep tank. From what I’ve heard, and I’m sure I may be corrected, Kessills won’t do well for a tank that deep.

As for the Apex... I had my Radion before I got my Apex so I was already using reeflink and the online stuff. I had set my schedule up and didn’t want to change it. So, I plugged my Radion directly into the Apex and put that apex plug on “auto.” The only time Apex cuts the light off is if the tank gets too hot. It doesn’t control the lights other than that. It kept me from having to buy additional apex boxes and cables. If you have multiple lights, you can use a small power strip and plug that into the Apex. I did that for all my wave makers. I leave the apex setting for “always on” so my power heads stay on continuously and I don’t have to use three apex plugs. I love the apex and I really love my Radions!

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two Radion xr30’s. They have a 30” spread and are plenty powerful enough for a 30” deep tank. From what I’ve heard, and I’m sure I may be corrected, Kessills won’t do well for a tank that deep.

As for the Apex... I had my Radion before I got my Apex so I was already using reeflink and the online stuff. I had set my schedule up and didn’t want to change it. So, I plugged my Radion directly into the Apex and put that apex plug on “auto.” The only time Apex cuts the light off is if the tank gets too hot. It doesn’t control the lights other than that. It kept me from having to buy additional apex boxes and cables. If you have multiple lights, you can use a small power strip and plug that into the Apex. I did that for all my wave makers. I leave the apex setting for “always on” so my power heads stay on continuously and I don’t have to use three apex plugs. I love the apex and I really love my Radions!

Thanks for the points on the apex part...
That’s my issue with why I was looking at the N E’s.... With the odd size of the tank do you not think the N E’s would be better? With the tank only be 18” wide but 30” deep?
I feel like if I go with the radions or others I’m going to end up with a lot of light spilling out of the tank just because it’s so thin... no? And the N E’s compromise the width a bit for more depth if I am understanding what others are saying....

It’s too much! I’ve gone back and forth back and forth lol

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my issue with why I was looking at the N E’s.... With the odd size of the tank do you not think the N E’s would be better? With the tank only be 18” wide but 30” deep?
I feel like if I go with the radions or others I’m going to end up with a lot of light spilling out of the tank just because it’s so thin... no? And the N E’s compromise the width a bit for more depth if I am understanding what others are saying....

I, too, debated over this. I’m terrible at making decisions like this. My tank is a 60 cube (24x24x24). The xr15 has a 24” spread. I didn’t know if I should choose Kessill or Radion. After a time, I asked a few LFS owners and fellow reefers what was the absolute best light, in their opinion. Everyone said Radion. The best of the best....

I will say that if my tank had been one inch bigger in any direction, i would have gotten the xr30. As for light spilling out, every light will do that.... every one. Two ways to minimize this... lower the lights a tad. Just be careful you don’t reduce the spread too much. The other way... Radion sells a diffuser for $40 that pops onto the light. It blends the different colors together making it more uniform. It reduces light spillage and gets rid of any rainbow effect you might have.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use kessils with t5 hybrid. Before that I was kessil only (360 we) in my 180 gallon mixed tank. If light spillage is your major concern, the kessils are the way to go. Otherwise, I’d probably go with radions. To throw another wrench in there, I know you have a deep tank, but if I were going kessils, I would still get the 360we. IMO, the PAR gain at the sandbed with the narrow version would be less of a benefit than the evenness of the wide version. Again, you will have great results either way. Good luck.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a pickle for sure, but in the end my vote is to make a decision. I went with the XR-15 option and havent looked back. Love reeflink and the options i have with my system.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light spillage is not my “major” concern I’m just thinking why get a light that’s designed to fill a 24” or 30” space when I have only 18”.... and the N E is what others have been leaning me too (I was sold on radions as well)
The “pros” lol that I have talked to are all like I said now pointing me to using 3 of the kessil N E’s just because they will get me my depth of 30” for sure and will help again because the tank is only 18” wide without having to buy extra parts and pieces...

I don’t want to do any type of t5/led mix... just wanna stick with the LED’s

You think even with 3 of them I should still get the A360 WE’s? It’s only 48” long...

I should have added that a lot of my coral will be in and around the lower part of the tank...
For example a zoa garden on a specific rock I have that will be right on the sand....
And then some other corals right on the sandbed.... or closer to it... that was also my thoughts on the N E’s....

Ugh I hate the decisions... I’m sure no matter what I choose any of them will be fine but just looking to see if anyone has used both and the differences

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a pickle for sure, but in the end my vote is to make a decision. I went with the XR-15 option and havent looked back. Love reeflink and the options i have with my system.

I will be using the apex anyway so I think no matter what both sets are apex ready so not sure if I would still have to use reeflink....if so that may be a disadvantage to me... I want to use 1 controller and that’s it....
Lol

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went with radions how many and which ones are all you echotech fans suggesting?

Also what do I need to connect it to my apex and is there any advantages/disadvantages to using them with apex that you guys have noted? (For either light)

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 13th, 2018
NEW LIGHTS
3 X Oceanrevive Artic T-247's

Feb 19th, 2018
Lights Hung!

I have the same tank (I believe)
The 110 gallon tanks are very nice but they can be a little difficult to scape and light.

I ran 3x OceanRevive T-247's over mine.
I get blanket coverage.
I have than plugged into the Apex but leave them in on position.
My lights don't ramp up and down but they are programmable.
I have the blue channel of the 1st light come on at 8am, the 2nd at 8:15am and the 3dr come on at 8:30am.
I have the white channel of 1st light come on at 9am, the 2nd at 9:15am and the 3rd at 9:30am.
At night, I have the lights do the opposite with whites going off in 15 minute intervals followed by blues going off in 15 minute intervals.
It's a cool effect as it simulates the sun coming up in the east and setting in the west.

The lights reach the bottom of the tank and light side to side and front to back.

I've grown SPS on the sandbed.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 180 gallon 5 foot tank will be lit the same way with the same lights but im adding 2 Viparspectras to the mix as well.

The 180 gal is 60 inches by 24 inches by 29.
The lights are relatively close to the water surface so no problem with deep penetration and because the stee so many LEDs, no problem with coverage or shadowing and I have great depth. I also have no light spillage.
It does not look washed out like t5's.

I know you are not interested in either light I run but I wanted you to see possibilities with a 29 inch deep by 18 inch wide by 48 inch long tank.

Good luck...

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the xr 30 pro on a 24” cube and the light spillage isn’t too bad. The tank is next to the couch, and it is only annoying if you look up at the fixture. Radions are gonna offer a lot more power to reach the bottom than the kessils. You could probably do 2 xr-15s unless your gonna keep lots of sps

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry also should have added I will NOT be hanging these lights lol I forget to add the small but important details....

And the tank is rimmed but I believe both lights have options for rimmed tanks anyway...

Thank you for the above suggestion but I def want something that ramps up and down... I’ve never heard of that kind of light (maybe I can’t get them here in Canada) or if it’s a black box type I know many have great success with them but I’ve just heard too many horror stories and I don’t quite trust them lol... it seems one person can grow anything and the next person can have the same unit and it won’t grow anything....

I’m fairly certain I want to go with the kessils or radions just which...

I also want to factor in what parts may be needed to fully integrate it with my apex (extra cords and such) and no one has commented was I right with what I would need for my cords for the kessils with they be the WE or NE??

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see this mentioned, if you get an apex make sure it has the VMD port, this is the port needed to control the kessil lights. If you went with the Apex EL you have to buy the VMD module to control the lights with an apex.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the xr 30 pro on a 24” cube and the light spillage isn’t too bad. The tank is next to the couch, and it is only annoying if you look up at the fixture. Radions are gonna offer a lot more power to reach the bottom than the kessils. You could probably do 2 xr-15s unless your gonna keep lots of sps

No I don’t plan on having a lot of sps... hmmm

What would I need (wire wise) for the XR pro’s to connect it to my apex? And to connect them together? And what mounts would work best for a rimmed tank with them (remember no hanging)

I think I would still go with 3x XR 15 pros no?? 2 just doesn’t seem like enough on a 48” long tank....

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see this mentioned, if you get an apex make sure it has the VMD port, this is the port needed to control the kessil lights. If you went with the Apex EL you have to buy the VMD module to control the lights with an apex.
Ya it’s the full Mack daddy apex... DOS, COR 20, auto feeder, ATO the whole nine yards lol

Then I have to get into my sump... ugh... at least I have that part bought lol I got the Trigger sapphire 39”... it’s very pretty lol

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will do exactly what you want but in a different way. The Radion isn't any more powerful than the Kessil if you mount them consistent with their design. Radions are lifted high off the water to get a better spread. The Kessils have a far better spread naturally and are mounted much closer to the water (5-6"). In this configuration, they will produce almost identical PAR levels. So the question really becomes, what is your preference?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will do exactly what you want but in a different way. The Radion isn't any more powerful than the Kessil if you mount them consistent with their design. Radions are lifted high off the water to get a better spread. The Kessils have a far better spread naturally and are mounted much closer to the water (5-6"). In this configuration, they will produce almost identical PAR levels. So the question really becomes, what is your preference.

I like the way you put that... I think I will (since I’m not hanging them) enjoy having them closer to the water... with the tank already being tall it will be easier for cleaning I think..... hmmm you may have helped me out!!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, I'd use the A360X with the narrow reflector if the decision was to go with Kessil.

OP
OP
F

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, I'd use the A360X with the narrow reflector if the decision was to go with Kessil.
2 questions:
Just curious why spend more money on the narrow reflector and not just get the NE model? (Since tank is only 18” wide)?

And if I went the A360 X route....
You think 2 would do it then if I went this route....?
Or should I still need 3?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back