Radions or Orphek Atlantik's?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another reason I was thinking Atlantiks. I've heard that the acrylic block at the bottom helps with the glare.

It's a big concern for me since I'm sitting at the couch staring at the tank most of the time. From that short distance and lower vantage point, glare can be super obnoxious.

I’m not sure that the frame will make much difference if you are viewing the tank from your couch, unless your couch is quite a bit higher than mine.

I’ve seen Hydras, Radions, and an Orphek Atlantik in a line at my LFS. I think the Atlantiks May be slightly better for side glare than the other two, but there is enough that it would annoy me. With the Reefi reflectors it is non-issue. Take a look at this photo comparing a Radion with a ReeFi.

I moved my Hydras to my frag tank in the garage where I view the tank standing up and glare doesn’t bother me.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that the frame will make much difference if you are viewing the tank from your couch, unless your couch is quite a bit higher than mine.

I’ve seen Hydras, Radions, and an Orphek Atlantik in a line at my LFS. I think the Atlantiks May be slightly better for side glare than the other two, but there is enough that it would annoy me. With the Reefi reflectors it is non-issue. Take a look at this photo comparing a Radion with a ReeFi.

I moved my Hydras to my frag tank in the garage where I view the tank standing up and glare doesn’t bother me.

Dang. Makes the decision even harder lol. I love the idea of having the lights higher. And was considering building a giant soft-box regardless of the brand I get. The more I think about it the more I think I'll just be creating something that will annoy me while sitting. Here is a rough of the viewing angle:

Capture.JPG

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Makes the decision even harder lol. I love the idea of having the lights higher. And was considering building a giant soft-box regardless of the brand I get. The more I think about it the more I think I'll just be creating something that will annoy me while sitting. Here is a rough of the viewing angle:

Capture.JPG

That looks like a really cool setup, but I think that those lights would be pretty high for comfortable couch viewing. A lot of people do it, though. It just drives me crazy when I get glare like that in my living room.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to try that out. I switched back to acclimation mode because “color and growth” seemed to be too much for my corals so soon. How long have you ran that program?

Corey

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to try that out. I switched back to acclimation mode because “color and growth” seemed to be too much for my corals so soon. How long have you ran that program?

Corey
Yes. They are way powerful in my eyes to use those programs with a good 3-5 month acclimated timeframe My 2ct I had 300-350 par at my settings with 2 x 5ft t5 blue plus on as well

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s funny is when I switched over Orphek told me 1 week of acclimation mode would suffice. I went with 4 and am not convinced it was enough honestly. I had some losses for sure.

Corey

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s funny is when I switched over Orphek told me 1 week of acclimation mode would suffice. I went with 4 and am not convinced it was enough honestly. I had some losses for sure.

Corey

Did you measure PAR before and after setting the lights up? I never understood the point of even using acclimation mode if PAR isn't being checked

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally did not and I agree with you 100%. I had par levels on my halides, and used the numbers from orphek and a local reefer who uses them as a baseline. Mostly because I didn’t have access to a par meter for leds. I’m not saying some of the issue isn’t my fault, I was only saying 1 week in acclimation mode was possibly a slightly shortened time frame.

Corey

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1week. Funny.
Par is one thing for sure and spectrum also plays a part. Orphek goes way beyond others spectrum.. some lights you can’t even hardly see cause ur eye doesn’t pic them up. Lots of uv,purple and all the way to 800 if I remember right. I know if I turn them up I bleach stuff. Lol. Might just be my tank. Dunno.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s your tank only. I bleached a few things after my 4 weeks in acclimation mode. To be honest, my biggest gripe is that acclimation mode doesn’t slowly move towards “growth and color” mode for example. So you pick your final numbers and your lights slowly adjust weekly to achieve the desired output. Maybe over a few months or something. I don’t know.

Corey

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 v4 over my 4ft but I run them at close to 100%. I don't see the point of running some channels really low. Even at 100% b 80% the rest it still kinda seems blue to me

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 v4 over my 4ft but I run them at close to 100%. I don't see the point of running some channels really low. Even at 100% b 80% the rest it still kinda seems blue

Bro that’s a lot of light ... lol. Like I said it might be my tank… But I can’t stand the 10 K look Personally.

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start at that intensity or build up to it?

Corey
Went think 80b 70 the rest for a week then 100b. Though I take stuff out of quarantine which isn't very strong light straight into display with no issues. I honestly think water chemistry has more to do with corals stressing than light. Just what I have seen anyway.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t disagree with water quality. But I have the same numbers now nutrient wise as when I ran my halides. The only real difference is the lights.
I did notice a short spike in my ALK from 8.5 to 10.6 over 4-5 weeks so I cannot rule that out. My speculation is that the light change stalled growth and the numbers slowly rose.

Corey

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back