Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Ideas?
You have always been able to replace an led if you are skilled with soldering or take them somewhere that repairs electronics and have them do it. I was cleaning the lenses on a a hydra 52 the other day and my kid started crying, as i was getting up I dropped my laptop on the boards and thrashed it. Spent about an hour replacing stuff that got smashed and all is back to notmal.

U

User1

View Badges
Didn’t realize they finally added the Lime and Cyan diodes in the Gen 5 Blue. That’s what Dave Fason from Nanobox Reef has had in his LED arrays since 2014, though Dave has since moved on from Lime to Mint diodes. Definitely adds to better color rendering in our corals... took ‘em long enough! :rolleyes: ;)

He is one source. Rapid LED also used a battery of limes in their Borealis multi channels but he has since stopped making them. Not as popular but I found them one of the best arrays on the market. Blue Acro also uses lime. Lime or mint are good choices and I tend to agree that we can thank the DIY crowd here for them.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is one source. Rapid LED also used a battery of limes in their Borealis multi channels but he has since stopped making them. Not as popular but I found them one of the best arrays on the market. Blue Acro also uses lime. Lime or mint are good choices and I tend to agree that we can thank the DIY crowd here for them.

Yeah, Dave was one of the early proponents of warm white diodes as well. In looking at the Blue vs Pro, I tend to like the diode selection of the Blue better... less cool whites and both lime and cyan in the mix. Not a fan of cool whites and the Pros have a ton of them.

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps something like this;
20200105_182320.jpg

20200212_204604.jpg

One 250 watt halide. That's a 5' long tank folks;)

man, I love my halides, but there is no way that you have adequate par on that tank unless you only plan on sps in the middle and nothing on the edges. The debate is over, you can grow some awesome tanks with leds. You can also grow some awesome tanks with halides or t5. LEDs just do it without adding as much heat and allow for some great color rendering at different times of the day. I have the same halide setup for a small tank and at best it can cover a 2x2 area. Par drop off happens quickly outside that 2ft spread. Put a par meter on it.

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah, Dave was one of the early proponents of warm white diodes as well. In looking at the Blue vs Pro, I tend to like the diode selection of the Blue better... less cool whites and both lime and cyan in the mix. Not a fan of cool whites and the Pros have a ton of them.

Agreed. Also if one is into DIY Dave is really helpful not to mention he offers a great array.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then how about APEX come up with their own light if they don’t wanna push around. I am all up in more competition out there, the better for us. Cheaper and better lights!
Can anyone explain why you need apex to control the lights if they have an app to control them anyway? Seems like a waste of time and connections. Hell if your apex has issues not being 100% dependent on it would be a benefit.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain why you need apex to control the lights if they have an app to control them anyway? Seems like a waste of time and connections. Hell if your apex has issues not being 100% dependent on it would be a benefit.
You don't, it's just an option. Some people like to have everything under one app, if you have an apex, then why not?

Since using Ecotechs Mobius to control all my Ecotech/Ai equipment, my Apex has taken a back seat.

I don't foresee completely moving away from Apex, and I thought running 2 platforms would be a pain, but I found a happy marriage between the 2.

U

User1

View Badges
You don't, it's just an option. Some people like to have everything under one app, if you have an apex, then why not?

Since using Ecotechs Mobius to control all my Ecotech/Ai equipment, my Apex has taken a back seat.

I don't foresee completely moving away from Apex, and I thought running 2 platforms would be a pain, but I found a happy marriage between the 2.

This is one of the bigger issues our hobby has. Multiple platform integration into a single presentation layer. Everyone wants their own controller, dongle, platform rather than integrate freely via a known standard.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently press a button on my stand, and Radions turn to actinics (blues) for 15 minutes. It’s amazing, and a large reasons I like Radions. I’ve set this up for many local fish stores too- customers can press a physical button to get white or blue spectrum on ALL of their tanks.

if there is a critical error, my Radions blink red.

You cannot accomplish this without apex integration. I hope the two companies resolve their differences and accept that customers want integration.

Last edited:

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 G3's (non pro). Always kicked myself in the butt for not getting pro's but the LFS said they would be overkill. Think it is going to be time to upgrade to the "Blues" myself.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently press a button on my stand, and Radions turn to actinics (blues) for 15 minutes. It’s amazing, and a large reasons I like Radions. I’ve set this up for many local fish stores too- customers can press a physical button to get white or blue spectrum on ALL of their tanks.

if there is a critical error, my Radions blink red.

You cannot accomplish this without apex integration. I hope the two companies resolve their differences and accept that customers want integration.

While cool there is no comparison between Ecotech and Neptune. Ecotech makes high quality products and offers great support right when you call. Neptune makes crap that has a pretty GUI. What was the movie, Black Sheep? “I can put crap in a box and give you a warranty but you’ve still just got a piece of crap or something to that effect? I’ve had failures on both sides but many, many more with Neptune. And their customer support is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cool there is no comparison between Ecotech and Neptune. Ecotech makes high quality products and offers great support right when you call. Neptune makes crap that has a pretty GUI. What was the movie, Black Sheep? “I can put crap in a box and give you a warranty but you’ve still just got a piece of crap or something to that effect? I’ve had failures on both sides but many, many more with Neptune. And their customer support is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.
I'll have to say I respectfully disagree. I have had zero issues with Neptune's customer support. Do they message me back as quick as a stage 5 clinging ex gf? No, but they also have how many people running apex's that may be having issues as well. The issues that I have had they were able to remotely fix without me having to do anything.

acrum222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tommy Boy!!!

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm hearing the new G5s won't be compatible with Apex. Anyone know this for sure? If this is true, it seems like the G4 Pros may still be the better buy for Apex users.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, I love my halides, but there is no way that you have adequate par on that tank unless you only plan on sps in the middle and nothing on the edges. The debate is over, you can grow some awesome tanks with leds. You can also grow some awesome tanks with halides or t5. LEDs just do it without adding as much heat and allow for some great color rendering at different times of the day. I have the same halide setup for a small tank and at best it can cover a 2x2 area. Par drop off happens quickly outside that 2ft spread. Put a par meter on it.

Got a second halide setup on the way. I also have 3 kessil 360wes and a 6 bulb t5 fixture. Plenty of choices. Just need to figure out a direction for this tank. Didn't plan on this setup to be honest. I won the Red Sea Reefer 525 through the partner member 2020 raffle here on R2R;) Now I'm kinda piecing it together as I go. Just need to finish the lighting and setup the Apex that's been sitting in a box for a month and it should be good to go.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hearing the new G5s won't be compatible with Apex. Anyone know this for sure? If this is true, it seems like the G4 Pros may still be the better buy for Apex users.

Of course they wont be compatible. All the controller modules work in the WiFi band and all of Ecotechs new gear is using Bluetooth. Also I am pretty sure Ecotech is encryptring their data on newer devices. So even if a module was made by Neptune they would not be able to communicate with the devices unless they hacked the encryption which would be against the law.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back