Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my eyes must be broken, I prefer shimmer and have been so extremely disappointed with my G4 pro's lack of shimmer. It's there but it's very slight, I don't see the color blending issues people talk about either...

I went with LED because I hate the washed out "blast of light" no shimmer look of T5 (which I ended up going hybrid anyway because of shadowing lol). I couldn't imagine sacrificing much needed PAR and what little shimmer I have to make my LEDs look like T5s. I actually bought two XF350 gyres to put on each side of the tank for surface agitation to enhance shimmer and still not happy.

Oh well :)

I mean, I like shimmer as well. But the shimmer from Radion without diffuser is way too disco that I can't help to notice. If I have to choose disco or minimal shimmer, I choose minimal shimmer. I still love Kessil's shimmer the best though.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I like shimmer as well. But the shimmer from Radion without diffuser is way too disco that I can't help to notice. If I have to choose disco or minimal shimmer, I choose minimal shimmer. I still love Kessil's shimmer the best though.

I think that’s my problem, Kessil was my first experience with what shimmer should look like and I probably comparing everything to that. When it comes to growth and look, I like my Radions but shimmer is Kessil’s forte.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah gotta love the "consume, consume, consume new stuff".
Why human have that desire of always want the new thing lol, it drive me nut. (I'm no different ;) )
I don’t understand it, but it drives me insane haha. I have actually been contemplating swapping out the AP700s for G4 pros for quite sometime, but with the G5s very soon release, I might as well jump from the Kessil boat over to the radion boat lol
It's honestly a win for two people. The buyer gets like new AP700s at a discount and I get new G5s for a little more cash out of pocket

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha. They stole the QMaven 2's optics design and rather than take the electronics and fan off the fixture, and making it waterproof they turned it into a Chinese black box.

That is exactly what they remind me of..

I had two of them but never added them to my tank.

They seemed really nice and had really nice looking light too..

The way they were controlled was a little wonky. They just did not fit my tank so I got rid of them after testing them..

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you change them every six months? I just switched to T5s from Radions, and I was under the assumption that they don't need to be changed until they hit 15-18 months, based upon this BRStv Investigates video. Ryan makes his blanket statement starting at 07:57 into the video. I'm not making judgement of your actions; I'm simply curious because I see some hobbyists, like yourself, change them after 6-9 months, and some change them after 1.5-2 years.
It varies on cooling the bulbs, before their video 6 months was the rule of thumb though and many reefers still follow it. I like the mixture with my Kessils, but that is beside the point.

Wow on the price.
Since they do not make their own leds they are using the same leds other can use in their fixtures.
Unless they are using some UV leds and I mean true not just the purple leds that is way high priced.
I do not know how they get away with this in the hobby.
Because Ecotech and the seal of approval they have from the influencers in the hobby that will drive people to them.

So what happens when a single LED burns out? No more replacing a single puck? Is it fixable? Repair cost? Is it trashed?

Hope it is under warranty or buy their latest version.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would think the g4's wouldn't lose to much value based off what they are going for now. They are still a proven soild light.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Then how about APEX come up with their own light if they don’t wanna push around. I am all up in more competition out there, the better for us. Cheaper and better lights!

I'm pretty sure if Apex (Neptune) released a light it would be Apex Ready

haha

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more interested in the fact that if new lights do actually come out on Monday then surely this means “Mobius’” full release is Monday too?
If the image is legit, it’s a step down in the aesthetics department in my eyes. Looks too black boxy...
The way of the future for Aquarium LED technology will be micro LEDs.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what they remind me of..

I had two of them but never added them to my tank.

They seemed really nice and had really nice looking light too..

The way they were controlled was a little wonky. They just did not fit my tank so I got rid of them after testing them..
I am using it now. It's a good fixture. The lenses definitely are the best on the market for coverage and spectrum blending so I can see why Ecotech used their design, though Kessil still owns the spectrum blending with the dense matrix, but for a single fixture for a whole tank, the QMaven is the best overall design available, IMO. The app control could use some improvement as there are only 5 customizable photo periods. Nevertheless, I still added a couple T5s to remove the polka dots and reduce shading as my coral grows.

20200210_100037-jpg.1417851

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s my old eyes but don’t see any corals lol

I gotcha;)

Added some test frags last weekend. This tank is not that old. Started the cycle 12/17/2020. I typically hold off on adding coral till I see some coralline algae growth, which I don't have yet.

Here's some pics of the few coral I pulled out of my other tank.
20200213_191346.jpg
20200213_191402.jpg
20200213_191323.jpg

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not one to just jump to the new light because it is new. My Hydra 52s (non-HD) have been serving me well but one has to question how long they are really good for? Someone was telling me 8-10 years is about it but haven't seen real evidence of that.

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'll stick with my G4 pro's for awhile, everything is finally taking off and instability is the last thing I need! Lol... Great opportunity for someone just looking to get Radions though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back