Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hearing the new G5s won't be compatible with Apex. Anyone know this for sure? If this is true, it seems like the G4 Pros may still be the better buy for Apex users.
Unfortunately that ship has sailed. With Mobius on the horizon, G5's will solely be controlled by it.

Of course they wont be compatible. All the controller modules work in the WiFi band and all of Ecotechs new gear is using Bluetooth. Also I am pretty sure Ecotech is encryptring their data on newer devices. So even if a module was made by Neptune they would not be able to communicate with the devices unless they hacked the encryption which would be against the law.
The WXM is an Ecotech module, made to work on Neptune platform. Of course that was back in the day when everyone swam in their own lane (No pun intended). These days it's a race to grab market share... Eventually all these choices will be good for the consumer. We just get to sit back and watch the chips fall...

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have confirmation, from multiple sources, that there is going to be a significant price adjustment on the G4 Radion Pros upon the G5 Pro/Blue release. I have no idea what constitutes significant though.

Normally I would love to see a price drop, but as someone who JUST purchased 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros that I didn't even open yet, it really ****** me off! EcoTech and their retailers are still selling the G4 Pros at FULL price, with full knowledge of an upcoming price reduction and next generation release. To me, that is a horrible business practice on both EcoTech's part, and the retailers that received advanced notice (all of them). If nothing else, EcoTech should have provided discounts well in advance of a new release, and when the retailers were notified of the upcoming generation and price adjustment, they should have made the current inventory unavailable, but everyone is trying to suck out that extra buck!

Although I am already in possession of my brand new "old" G4 Pros, I contacted several online and local retailers inquiring to purchase more. Thankfully, about half of them straight up told me not to make a purchase due to the pending price adjustment of the G4, and release of the G5. The other half I will never purchase from again.

I thought to myself, I've spent over $10k on Ecotech equipment over the years, and heard great things about their customer service, surely they could provide some type of resolution. I explained to EcoTech that I just purchased and received 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros with diffusers (still waiting on the RMS mounts to arrive), and that I have not even opened the boxes yet, is there anything they can do as I know there is a price adjustment coming in 3 days, along with the release of the next generation. I explained that I would have never purchased the G4 if I knew the G5 was going to be released, and certainly not if a price adjustment was coming. I offered to return my G4s to Ecotech and pay a reasonable upgrade fee to go with the G5. Ecotech basically told me to get lost.

This was there response:
Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. Although we don't have any information on a Generation 5 Radion. If there were to be a new version released, the lights you currently have would still be fully supported and would function the same just as when they were initially released. Even as new model Radions are released through the years, the prior model lights wouldn't become outdated as they would still have their warranty. Many users are still using the Gen 1, 2, and 3 Radions successfully on their tank, and we continue to support those model lights as well. Please let me know if there is anything additional I could assist you with, thank you

What a lame response! And are they really supporting Gens 1-3, or are they just going with the upgrade model, where something breaks and they only offer a paid upgrade for a supported generation. Honestly, I'm so ****** at EcoTech right now, that I am really considering selling off all my EcoTech equipment and never purchasing any of their products again. I already have my G4s listed in the classifieds.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have confirmation, from multiple sources, that there is going to be a significant price adjustment on the G4 Radion Pros upon the G5 Pro/Blue release. I have no idea what constitutes significant though.

Normally I would love to see a price drop, but as someone who JUST purchased 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros that I didn't even open yet, it really ****** me off! EcoTech and their retailers are still selling the G4 Pros at FULL price, with full knowledge of an upcoming price reduction and next generation release. To me, that is a horrible business practice on both EcoTech's part, and the retailers that received advanced notice (all of them). If nothing else, EcoTech should have provided discounts well in advance of a new release, and when the retailers were notified of the upcoming generation and price adjustment, they should have made the current inventory unavailable, but everyone is trying to suck out that extra buck!

Although I am already in possession of my brand new "old" G4 Pros, I contacted several online and local retailers inquiring to purchase more. Thankfully, about half of them straight up told me not to make a purchase due to the pending price adjustment of the G4, and release of the G5. The other half I will never purchase from again.

I thought to myself, I've spent over $10k on Ecotech equipment over the years, and heard great things about their customer service, surely they could provide some type of resolution. I explained to EcoTech that I just purchased and received 4 brand new Radion G4 Pros with diffusers (still waiting on the RMS mounts to arrive), and that I have not even opened the boxes yet, is there anything they can do as I know there is a price adjustment coming in 3 days, along with the release of the next generation. I explained that I would have never purchased the G4 if I knew the G5 was going to be released, and certainly not if a price adjustment was coming. I offered to return my G4s to Ecotech and pay a reasonable upgrade fee to go with the G5. Ecotech basically told me to get lost.

This was there response:
Thank you for contacting EcoTech Marine. Although we don't have any information on a Generation 5 Radion. If there were to be a new version released, the lights you currently have would still be fully supported and would function the same just as when they were initially released. Even as new model Radions are released through the years, the prior model lights wouldn't become outdated as they would still have their warranty. Many users are still using the Gen 1, 2, and 3 Radions successfully on their tank, and we continue to support those model lights as well. Please let me know if there is anything additional I could assist you with, thank you

What a lame response! And are they really supporting Gens 1-3, or are they just going with the upgrade model, where something breaks and they only offer a paid upgrade for a supported generation. Honestly, I'm so ****** at EcoTech right now, that I am really considering selling off all my EcoTech equipment and never purchasing any of their products again. I already have my G4s listed in the classifieds.

Just return the new ones you just bought, get your money back and then buy back at lower prices or new. That or depending on where you bought them ask for a price match. If the place you bought them won’t return them. Well I wouldn’t be doing business with them again.

It’s not Ecotechs fault your timing was terrible. Similar has happened to me. It sucks but it has nothing to do with anyone.. It’s life in a free market.

Also, realize the new lights aren't officially announced even yet. Not Ecotechs fault some unscrupulous people leaked it early.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the retailer does not accept returns or price match... found out the hard way. Definitely won’t be back there either.

Yes, it is absolutely Ecotech’s fault! If nothing else, they should have lowered the pricing of the G4 Pros well in advance of the next generation release. It’s not like they didn’t know when they were going to release it. Unless they’re scared of the new Phillips getting some of their dollars. It’s all greed!

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the retailer does not accept returns or price match... found out the hard way. Definitely won’t be back there either.

Yes, it is absolutely Ecotech’s fault! If nothing else, they should have lowered the pricing of the G4 Pros well in advance of the next generation release. It’s not like they didn’t know when they were going to release it. Unless they’re scared of the new Phillips getting some of their dollars. It’s all greed!

What retailer doesn't accept returns?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you bought from the wrong place if they won’t do a return. This is your problem, not Ecotech

oh and it’s not released yet, it’s leaked

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps something like this;
20200105_182320.jpg

20200212_204604.jpg

One 250 watt halide. That's a 5' long tank folks;)
I see
Perhaps something like this;
20200105_182320.jpg

20200212_204604.jpg

One 250 watt halide. That's a 5' long tank folks;)
I see the light I just don't see any life! Lol

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh extortion time!!! Heh heh,,,, I need 2 of the G5 Blues, mounting brackets and diffusers or I'm telling your wives where that tax return went! Lol

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What retailer doesn't accept returns?

Apparently, my previous LFS doesn't.

Then you bought from the wrong place if they won’t do a return. This is your problem, not Ecotech

oh and it’s not released yet, it’s leaked

I definitely bought from the wrong place. Lesson learned.

And it will be released on Monday, and leaked to everyone, maybe on purpose. I mean really, it's on Reef Builders Instagram.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just return the new ones you just bought, get your money back and then buy back at lower prices or new. That or depending on where you bought them ask for a price match. If the place you bought them won’t return them. Well I wouldn’t be doing business with them again.

It’s not Ecotechs fault your timing was terrible. Similar has happened to me. It sucks but it has nothing to do with anyone.. It’s life in a free market.

Also, realize the new lights aren't officially announced even yet. Not Ecotechs fault some unscrupulous people leaked it early.

I already have my G4s listed in the classifieds. However, unlike Ecotech, I have a conscious and when I first was made aware of the upcoming price adjustment, I posted it in the ad. Obviously, this will most likely reduce my chances of a sale, probably even take money out of my pocket, but it was the right thing to do. Four newer MP40s, Vectra, and four Hydra 26 HDs, and and AI Prime HD ads soon to follow. Researching equipment now... probably going back to Tunze and some other lights.

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie, I'm really considering flanking the halide with 2 of the G5 blues. It definitely needs more light.
You don't need G5's. The MH does the heavy lifting. Supplement them with much cheaper LED's. I have 2 Gen3 pros that I got cheap to supplement. No need for anything higher. Could probably do earlier versions..

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they lowered the price, then speculation would've been that a new light is on the horizon, then no one would buy up the discounted lights, it's a lose lose situation at best.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need G5's. The MH does the heavy lifting. Supplement them with much cheaper LED's. I have 2 Gen3 pros that I got cheap to supplement. No need for anything higher. Could probably do earlier versions..

I do have a second halide setup already on the way. I also have 3x Kessil 360we that are being used on 2 other setups that will be coming down in the next month or so. I also have an old ATI 6 bulb t5 fixture I could clean up and use as well. I do believe it has a bad ballast if this is the fixture think it is. I would have to get bulbs to test it. So I do have some choices.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is very good at supporting older product, maybe not 10 years old, but then again that is very rare today. It sucks you bought something right before something new came out but this happens all the time. Your LFS should honor the return so you can get the newer model, that is on them.

A few people are talking about APEX support: I hope not. With Mobius taking on the control I would love for a power bar so I can dump the APEX since their support is horrific.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have confirmation, from multiple sources, that there is going to be a significant price adjustment on the G4 Radion Pros upon the G5 Pro/Blue release. I have no idea what constitutes significant

It won’t be that significant. If your concern is you should have waited for cheaper lights, I don’t think you’ll be too disappointed.
If your concern is you paid the same price for old lights that you could have spent on new, I’d say when you put those prices in your Lotus 123 you’ll see you’re right in the middle: discount G4 < your G4 < G5

I’d be annoyed too, if I were you, at your LFS. I bought 10 G4’s Christmas 2018 and my vendor and EcoTech contact confirmed the G5 wasn’t happening for at least a year. That’s just courtesy. But to be fair, we all should have known the G5 was coming this year. No one told me outright but I had a feel.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people are talking about APEX support: I hope not. With Mobius taking on the control I would love for a power bar so I can dump the APEX since their support is horrific.

But why would you want less support? It seems like it would be better if the lights could work on both the Apex and Mobius, regardless of which controller you use. You might not like Apex but I don’t want to run into a situation where I need to buy all my equipment from one vendor just because they made themselves exclusive.

Back