OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely parasites or worms inside the gills.
OK, so it's not ich because I did TTM. I've had the fish over three weeks with no signs of velvet, and a few days ago fin rot set in. Is velvet sill possible? The Hippo is showing no signs of issues. I'm starting Furan2 today when is arrives and Kanaplex tomorrow, but what do I do about the flashing?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so it's not ich because I did TTM. I've had the fish over three weeks with no signs of velvet, and a few days ago fin rot set in. Is velvet sill possible? The Hippo is showing no signs of issues. I'm starting Furan2 today when is arrives and Kanaplex tomorrow, but what do I do about the flashing?

If it's velvet, then you will need to treat with copper. You can combine kanaplex and furan 2 with copper, but care needs to be taken to add plenty of O2 to the water and you should watch for bacterial blooms (cloudy water) and do a water change in one shows up.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's velvet, then you will need to treat with copper. You can combine kanaplex and furan 2 with copper, but care needs to be taken to add plenty of O2 to the water and you should watch for bacterial blooms (cloudy water) and do a water change in one shows up.
Do I treat as though it is velvet? If it's not velvet, what is it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you dewormed using Prazipro yet?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I treat as though it is velvet? If it's not velvet, what is it?

Playing it safe is always a smart move. I would go ahead and do that. If it's not velvet, ick or flukes, then it could just be itching from the insertion points of the parasite healing over.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing it safe is always a smart move. I would go ahead and do that. If it's not velvet, ick or flukes, then it could just be itching from the insertion points of the parasite healing over.
Darn. My only experience with copper the fish were declining fast, and I had to raise levels quickly. They all stopped eating, and I had no survivors.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. My only experience with copper the fish were declining fast, and I had to raise levels quickly. They all stopped eating, and I had no survivors.

What brand of copper did you use?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a reef rally bath for the Mimic (or preventively the Hippo) prior to starting Copper be beneficial?

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast should I rev up the Coppersafe? I've read that when dealing with velvet it must be at full therapeutic levels within 24 hours. However, and I've seen it first hand, this will stress the fish out significantly, and I also read raising levels should go slowly over five days. I really don't want to loose my fish Velvet seems to follow me everywhere lately...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet seems to follow me everywhere lately...

It's not just you... it's everywhere because it's in the wholesaler's tanks. The best thing to do is to raise it up quickly if we are suspecting velvet. I know it's scary, but QT takes practice. The more you do it, the better you will be at it. You know what to look for with copper sensitivity, so you know when to stop and regroup.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just you... it's everywhere because it's in the wholesaler's tanks. The best thing to do is to raise it up quickly if we are suspecting velvet. I know it's scary, but QT takes practice. The more you do it, the better you will be at it. You know what to look for with copper sensitivity, so you know when to stop and regroup.
Thank you. Here's my plan. I just did a FW dip on the Mimic. He went right into the Rally bath after followed by the Hippo. They'll hang out there for 90 min. In the mean time, I'll do a partial WC on the qt then start ramping the Coppersafe up as close to 24 hours as the fish will tolerate. I guess I'm watching for suppressed appetite as my clue to go slower? Later today the Furan2 goes in followed by the Kanaplex tomorrow. Sigh.

Thank you for advising me to wait another week (on another thread) just in case before they went into the display. This velvet is so tricky. There are absolutely no physical symptoms of velvet on these fish.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back