Raggedy Hippo - HLLE or fin rot or ... ?

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For internal parasites, it should be bound to the food with focus. I have never used general cure though, always prazipro or metroplex.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it has Prazi in it. I'm hoping that means he was pooping out the dead worm.

Prazi will not help for internal parasites, the white, stringy poop is not him pooping out the dead worms. His food will need to be bound with focus and metroplex and treated. I’m not sure what the protocol is for binding general cure. For metroplex it’s 1 scoop metro, 1 scoop of focus, and 1 cube of frozen.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo that looks the same way. Fins all ragged like that. A local reefer gave it to me a while back. I thought it might improve but it pretty much looks the same after a few months. I’ve got another smaller hippo that is absolutely perfect so it’s got good conditions. I called mine scruffy lol. I’m sure it’s hlle btw.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi will not help for internal parasites, the white, stringy poop is not him pooping out the dead worms. His food will need to be bound with focus and metroplex and treated. I’m not sure what the protocol is for binding general cure. For metroplex it’s 1 scoop metro, 1 scoop of focus, and 1 cube of frozen.

I use General Cure in almost exactly the same way - one tablespoon (ish) of frozen food, one scoop of Focus and one of GC. I've had to use it on almost as many fish as not, to date.

~Bruce

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any source on that one? Not saying you're wrong but I've not heard that before, and I can't find anything to back it up in a quick google search.

Many thanks

Prazi dosed to the aquarium is not the most effective way to treat internal parasites. It is highly effective against tapeworms and flukes. It sometimes works to put a dent in the parasite population so the fish can begin eating and the medication can then be bound and fed.

I am assuming that this is why General cure is great to use in a food/med combo, it will target different parasites. So in short, will it kill internal parasites, yes. Will it eradicate them completely, more than likely not. Metroplex(possibly general cure) is the drug of choice for intestinal worms.

Here is a write up by Humble :):

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I'm not even sure if what I saw really means worms or not - I've seen the same thing from feeding mysis before - but I may try getting some meds in food just to be sure. I have another couple of GC packets left. Probably about time I got some Focus handy anyway.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt HLLE. Hippo's are extremely susceptible to it. I have had many of them and they all got it after they passed 8 or 9 years old but some of them got it in a year or two. No cure. The color may get a little better but that fish will always be scared as that epidermis does not grow back in hippo's. The fin rot is something else. HLLE is not fatal but you wished it was as the fish look horrible. I am also not sure it is the carbon thing like is the latest theory

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use General Cure in almost exactly the same way - one tablespoon (ish) of frozen food, one scoop of Focus and one of GC. I've had to use it on almost as many fish as not, to date.

Focus arrives today. I think I'll use that recipe with the Seachem Nutridiet Flakes that they all seem to go crazy for. Then let it dry and break it up into granules for feeding over time. (Yes this is a sideline from the original topic, in case anyone is confused.)

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon was added to food yesterday, tried a little bit with a variety of foods. Everyone seemed to like it a lot. Ravenous Rabbit is hard to compete with for food but it all works out.
I think I'll name the Rabbit "George". I went from Ravenous Rabbit to R.R. and then thought of George R.R. Martin. So this one is George. If I get another it'll be Martin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back