Rags2Riches - The Learning Curve. 125g

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’m overly tired but I read some funny stuff today and this made me wet my self
That just made my night. I hope I can make you this happy every night

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, ok. Caught up on all of the build threads, if I missed urs, tag me and slap me. I'll be up for a bit.

Scraped the glass and took some coral photos as promised to @PanchoG.. ;)

I dont seem to care much lately about trying to capture pictures of the fish. Maybe tomorrow. Doubtful though.

RBTA settling in for the night after some LRS.
20190831_223619(0).jpg

Sticks
The bubblegum digi has yet to spread over the glue yet. But has great color an p.e. daily
The bonsai is almost encrusted over the plug.
The top left and acro in the center were from the same colony. The spread says multitudes for the potential of the hydras26hd's.
20190831_222619.jpg

Monti Cap and pavona havent done too much yet... but there is some new growth on the cap in 2 spots near the bottom shown in light pink here.
20190831_223131.jpg

On the other hand, The monti's on the rack are showing much better progress.
The spongoid is showing some growth @ 7 oclock.
Cyphastrea is almost covering the plug completely.
The lepto is going nuts.
Tuba isnt doing much yet, But it's still adjusting to the lights I imagine.
Rainbow acan enchinada is pretty.
20190831_222806.jpg

Acan Alley is doing well and lots of babies are visible along the bases of all 3.
The christmas tree lord to the bottom left is happy, but no signs of propagation thus far.
20190831_222708.jpg

The Zoa patch is doing great. Tons of new babies on all the plugs. Double on most from 3 or 4 months ago. The rastas arent pictured here, but they are doing well on a disk placed in a rock.
20190831_222447.jpg

The Mushroom has gone from 1 to 4 in a year. I expect the rock to be almost covered before the system is broken down and sold. Once the shrooms get comfy they can spread rapidly from the progression timelines I've seen in other build threads here on r2r.
20190831_223529.jpg

All the remaining fat head dendros are thriving. Getting big. Maybe I can finally get one to @Dsnakes @MSB123 and @reeflover soon. The colony really got devastated by the cb shrimp. Heartbreaking to lose 10+ mature heads Over a week. Sigh.
20190831_223307.jpg

The Aussie blasto has new babies pushing out horizontally.
Duncan is sulking.
Favia is doing great.
Mushrooms are chugging along.
War favia bottom right hasnt been adjusting to the lighting well.
20190831_223244.jpg

The chalices are just ok. But not emphatic to say the least.
20190831_222841.jpg

And my baby.
The lobo.
Puffy Chunky Happy :)
20190831_223408.jpg

The colorations and textures just keep getting better and better on this thing. Loving it.

Also got my hands dirty in the fuge... did a few little adjustments of macro that has been growing and gotten a bit too messy for me. Also checked in on the decorator crab in the fuge. Hes covered in everything down there.

Spotted a berghia too :) ...
20190831_225612.jpg

...Which got me all hot and bothered, so I decided to take a video. :D

Well that's all for tonight. Maybe an fts and livestock stuff mañana.

Cheers all.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he is packaging some berghia for you, LOL!
Found 1 in the QT and put it next to a surviving patch of aips.

So you a.)Make me self-conscious about my eating habits then b.)Make me throw up my habit.

I was this close to following your build thread.
It's a shame. I started to like you. :p

@living_tribunal thanks...now I want McDonald's

Target feeding the girls. I like it.

Screw it, I'm going to bed ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Quitter.
Can be arranged. I won’t judge you

Settle down boys. This ain't the group chat ;Hilarious

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew, ok. Caught up on all of the build threads, if I missed urs, tag me and slap me. I'll be up for a bit.

I dont seem to care much lately about trying to capture pictures of the fish. Maybe tomorrow. Doubtful though.

20190831_223619(0).jpg

Sticks
The bubblegum digi has yet to spread over the glue yet. But has great color an p.e. daily
The top left and acro in the center were from the same colony. The spread says multitudes for the potential of the hydras26hd's.
20190831_222619.jpg

Monti Cap and pavona havent done too much yet... but there is some new growth on the cap in 2 spots near the bottom shown in light pink here.
20190831_223131.jpg

The lepto is going nuts.
20190831_222806.jpg

Acan Alley is doing well and lots of babies are visible along the bases of all 3.
The christmas tree lord to the bottom left is happy, but no signs of propagation thus far.
20190831_222708.jpg

The Zoa patch is doing great. Tons of new babies on all the plugs. Double on most from 3 or 4 months ago. The rastas arent pictured here, but they are doing well on a disk placed in a rock.
20190831_222447.jpg

The Mushroom has gone from 1 to 4 in a year. I expect the rock to be almost covered before the system is broken down and sold. Once the shrooms get comfy they can spread rapidly from the progression timelines I've seen in other build threads here on r2r.
20190831_223529.jpg

All the remaining fat head dendros are thriving. Getting big. Maybe I can finally get one to @Dsnakes @MSB123 and @reeflover soon. The colony really got devastated by the cb shrimp. Heartbreaking to lose 10+ mature heads Over a week. Sigh.
20190831_223307.jpg

Duncan is sulking.
Favia is doing great.
20190831_223244.jpg

20190831_222841.jpg

And my baby.
The lobo.
20190831_223408.jpg

The colorations and textures just keep getting better and better on this thing. Loving it.

Also got my hands dirty in the fuge... did a few little adjustments of macro that has been growing and gotten a bit too messy for me. Also checked in on the decorator crab in the fuge. Hes covered in everything down there.

20190831_225612.jpg

Cheers all.

Awesome overview, Rich. Everything looks fantastic.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like when I accidentally text my ex-ish wife when I meant to text you. True story. Luckily it was only mildly embarrassing.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190831_223619(0).jpg

Sticks
20190831_222619.jpg

20190831_223131.jpg

The lepto is going nuts.
20190831_222806.jpg

20190831_222708.jpg

20190831_222447.jpg

20190831_223529.jpg

20190831_223307.jpg

Duncan is sulking.
Favia is doing great.
20190831_223244.jpg

20190831_222841.jpg

And my baby.
The lobo.
20190831_223408.jpg

20190831_225612.jpg

Cheers all.

Epic corals but you’re not going anywhere near my build thread.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic corals but you’re not going anywhere near my build thread.
That made me want to tell a story. When we were at Rich’s, I saw a flash of lightning. I said, “wow, did you see that?” and when I turned around Rich already had his time lapse equipment setup and running. That is when I decided I liked him.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 1 in the QT and put it next to a surviving patch of aips.

It's a shame. I started to like you. :p

Target feeding the girls. I like it.

Quitter.

For real though, your tank is looking excellent. Keep up the good work, just no more food.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update Rich! Fudge video was my favorite since I didn’t see much of it. Thanks Brian
He was such a window seat hog right? Jerk..

Awesome overview, Rich. Everything looks fantastic.
Lookin good.
Thanks guys.

@RichtheReefer21 what macro did you say you had or recommend?
If you want to export nutrients, chaetomorpha is gonna outgrow anything else u got. And it's incredibly beneficial because i feel it catches and filters like nature's floss. I let it pile up again the slits I cut for baffling at the exit. And it catches tons of debris from the flow that no longer enters my skimmer inflow. It also serves as a highway for the bristles worms and other invertebrate, pods, etc that are now establishing themselves in the fuge. I found a ton of adolescent pods tonight on the glass as well. All good signs. :)

Besides the chaeto champ, I have ULVA aka sea lettuce. Red branching ogo, and Red Leafy ogo(pom pom sorta)

I would like to try others but some require lower temperatures, tons of food, and are more for cold-water macro algae reef DT's. Or something along those lines. Plus u gotta watch your Iron levels too. @Scurvy shared a link with me somewhere about the depletion of Iron in your levels due to macroalgae thriving in the same system. Just a couple things to keep in mind if u choose chaeto as well, u will need to manage it and harvest often, or it will takeover and ur other macro (if u choose to have any) will be out-competed and struggle for light.

;Troll ;Hilarious
For real though, your tank is looking excellent. Keep up the good work, just no more food.
How about coral and fish food?

Great to have u L.T... I'll be following your build as well. I envy your rock scaping skills sir.

Cheers

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was such a window seat hog right? Jerk..

Thanks guys.

If you want to export nutrients, chaetomorpha is gonna outgrow anything else u got. And it's incredibly beneficial because i feel it catches and filters like nature's floss. I let it pile up again the slits I cut for baffling at the exit. And it catches tons of debris from the flow that no longer enters my skimmer inflow. It also serves as a highway for the bristles worms and other invertebrate, pods, etc that are now establishing themselves in the fuge. I found a ton of adolescent pods tonight on the glass as well. All good signs. :)

Besides the chaeto champ, I have ULVA aka sea lettuce. Red branching ogo, and Red Leafy ogo(pom pom sorta)

I would like to try others but some require lower temperatures, tons of food, and are more for cold-water macro algae reef DT's. Or something along those lines. Plus u gotta watch your Iron levels too. @Scurvy shared a link with me somewhere about the depletion of Iron in your levels due to macroalgae thriving in the same system. Just a couple things to keep in mind if u choose chaeto as well, u will need to manage it and harvest often, or it will takeover and ur other macro (if u choose to have any) will be out-competed and struggle for light.

;Troll ;Hilarious

How about coral and fish food?

Great to have u L.T... I'll be following your build as well. I envy your rock scaping skills sir.

Cheers

Reef roids are perfectly acceptable, and likewise Rich :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics and love the video.
I find it interesting that more and more people are returning to macros, reactors or refugiums, it works for nature! ;)

Thanks si.

Humming to myself... "let it be... let it be..."

:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back