RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from the trip...

I managed to prophylactically keep my system parasite free for over a year...

I decided to observe this most recent round of additions for about 24 days or so... with no signs at all... not one.

I checked the tank, fed, and my zebra sailfin has about 16-20 white spots on it. I'm done. It's been fun, but I'm done.

Not sure how its gonna happen or in what order, but Rags2Riches is a wrap. Not dealing with it. Gonna see if my LFS will buy all the fish, then I'm gonna run the tank fallow and sell all the coral.

Start laying your claims now if anyone wants anything... if I cant get the best price possible for my livestock I'll start doing deals. But for now I need to squeeze whatever I can from the entire system first.

Crushed right now.

Gnite.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich tossing option out I drop ya my uv will kill parasites in water column and pull fish for treatment. UV can’t do anything about infected but maybe other fish can stay clean while uv does its thing and infected are taken out for treatments they show symptoms. Let me know my friend I can be on road with it in minutes if you want to fight it.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this Rich!

I hope you reconsider, and if so and as already mentioned, get a powerful UV-C system in place as at least that will kill any parasites whilst in the free floating stage of the life cycle and maybe help the other fish. Get the most powerful you can fit in and a slow flow rate for maximum effect.

Its a beautiful hobby, but sometimes can be so frustrating......

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the thoughts and words.

I am pretty much set on calling it quits. I didnt wanna just go dark on u all, so my position is that I know its all.coming down in about 10 months. And I cant justify 3 months of he L L to save something that isnt forever anyways. The clock was ticking regardless, I'm just pulling the plug earlier than expected. Ill.still have 3 months of pics and updates as I run the system fallow.

For now I managed to net the zebra and it's in the empty QT recovering from the ordeal. Laid down a few times but ate some LRS and is currently upright, but frozen from stress. No other fish is showing spots or signs. But I would be naive to think I got it in time. If the zebra got it, it's in there. And with all things considered, just makes more sense to get it over with now rather than scrambling next winter while I am planning a move across the country.

@Raege thank u so much for the offer for your UV, but it would require more time and money. And i just got started mandatory 56hr, 6 day a week OT at the job.

It's been an amazing trip, the last 2 years, but I've kicked myself in the jewels more than I care to recall, and the fish suffer. I'm done with this build.. likely will start water changes next week and begin selling everything off. (At least I know it all works)

The dendros for @MSB123 and @reeflover2 Will sadly have to wait until they run fallow. I refuse to risk passing on nasty parasites with my coral. At least itll be warmer and most guarantee shipping safely.

Again, thank you everyone for supporting me all this time through it all. I'm sad, but I'm also ready to move on. Woulda loved to try a grow out between now and Decemeber 2020, but this is just too much to go through to get a few more months out of the tank.

I'm taking a break from the forum for a little. Need to refocus and plan this all out.

I'll be back when I'm ready. Cheers friends. Stay salty.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 Rich your threads the 55 and this “learning curve” will live on here and have no doubt helped untold numbers of reefers with your #honestyinreefing.
I know it’s was matter of time for this tank as you prepare for a great adventure following your weather dreams but know the reefing bug has bitten and once you settle in out west a box of rocks will be delivered and be wet and salty.
I look forward to seeing your dreams come true the only bitter part is you won’t be 30 minutes away ready to split a bottle of Jamo.
Much love my friend if you need anything I’m a call or text away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ray...

I'll leave you all with pics of what happened in about 24hrs. I check my fish and tank every day, religiously. There was nothing on friday...
20200209_185858.jpg

20200209_185853(0).jpg

For those of you who have my number, u know how to reach me. I'll miss the forums but it's necessary for the time. Eye on the prize if u will.

Gonna QT and copper treat the sailfin, and then I'll prolly look for a home for the paired clowns and sell privately...

@thejuice24 is interested in the yellow tang and a blue/yellow tail damsel, but the rest of them are gonna likely end up back at the LFS... where they run low level copper and hypo salinity. They should recover there and/or find new homes. If anyone is interested in guaranteed QT's healthy fish, hmu for the remaining ones.

Clown tang (2.5")
Paired clown fish davinci(f) and snowflake(m) 2 years together and courting regularly. My RBTA's host them both.
Red fire fish
Foxface (4.5")
Female Squam(something) Anthias
Dragon goby (crop dusting sand sifter - 3")
Zebra Sailfin Tang

If reserved, your fish will go through 30days of cupramine, 3 rounds of prazipro, and kanaplex + metro plex for 21days. Pick up would be preferred. 2hrs west of boston. Will take me about 2 months to get them ready.

Be back soon. Thanks again everyone.
-rich

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back