Rainbow Bottom Anemones!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move around alot like a typical anemone? Will they sting other corals?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"So far, all we know about these Rainbow Bottom anemones is that they look like, but we don’t know their official name, or if they are described. There’s no consensus on whether they are photosynthetic or not, but either way they’ll enjoy a target feeding just like any anemone. We also don’t know where they come from but most sources seem to indicate that aquarium specimens are originating from Hong Kong, but this is simply their point of sale, not necessarily their natural habitat. "

We don't even know anything about them, yet they are being collected and sold. :/

Last edited:

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’d be great for a cold water display but otherwise 100% unsuitable for the average reef tank.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a cold water anemone (scientific name Anthopleura fuscoviridis) that ranges as far north as Alaska. They are also non-photosynthetic and very aggressive. Chances are they may exist especially in reef tanks kept in the mid 70’s, but they will never thrive similar to the blue spot jawfish. Also for the $500 they are going for you can fly to the west coast and go collect one yourself lol

PCan74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$400 shipped each.

I bought one about 2 and a half weeks ago. According to the trusted shop I purchased it from they kept it in temps
between 74-77°F. Receiving between 100-150 PAR. They claim it only fed on what was grabbed from the water column.

He said they'd had it for about a year. (Which doesn't seem accurate to me considering the small size.) It's only about the size of a quarter. I am no expert though so I could be wrong.

It arrived on a small piece of live rock which I placed on the sandbed. Underneath a piece of live shelf rock. So it was half shaded, half low light. I also put it next to another piece of base live rock incase it wanted to move it'd be an easier transition.

The next morning it had moved onto that rock, but still under the same conditions. It's tentacles have been extended and colourful. However the center looks milky white and only about half of the red rim directly under the tentacles is visible.

I have twice, (Once a week.) Dusted it with Reef Roids. I'm not sure what if anything it took in as it's mouth is yet to be seen by me. My parameters are stable, and my temp is at a steady 75-75.5°.

Considering it hasn't moved I can only assume the conditions both temp and light wise are sufficient.

Granted my tank is only 6 months cycled. I put a lot of hope into it working out. I know, I know. I'm guilty on that account.

I'll update as/if anything changes. I've seen a few photos and a couple of comments online where the center was white and the mouth wasn't visible. It isn't expelling any Zoo. however. And the owner of the company I bought it from claims that it isn't uncommon.

Though it can't be a positive sign, perhaps it is just how these anems acclimate. Time will tell.

mrrtheory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw people pay big money for these when they first started selling them. Something like $1200 each, I haven't heard of a single survivor. Unless you are setting up a species specific aquarium that is suitable you might have more fun just lighting the money on fire and watching the pretty colors.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%

Back