Rainbow Ricordea care tips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSA folks,

I bought this guy from TSA during the pre-black-Friday event: https://topshelfaquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2ONLINE.Q10.111620-1.jpg

He looked pretty good about a day after I got him. Not quite like the TSA pic, but better than he does now. He slowly declined to look like this during QT:
rainbow ricordoa sick.jpg

The species is supposedly low-light, low flow. My QT is not very bright and I had him down low, so I don't think it's lighting. The QT is high-ish flow because I also had some montis in QT and the smallest powerheads I can find are still pretty powerful for a 20g. However, he was in the lowest flow area of the tank, right next to two other TSA 'shrooms, which did excellent. QT did get up to 40ppm nitrates, but about 25 other frags did fine less 2 zoa frags (not from TSA) that won't open for unknown reasons.

He's not dead and has no pests that I can see, so he went into DT yesterday with everything else in the hopes more stable DT conditions would help. He looked like he does in the picture even before moving to DT.

Any hints on ricordea care or advice other than leave him alone for a bit to see if he recovers in DT?

Also, do you know if that's a Caribbean/flordia ricordea or a yuma/pacific? (Supposedly the former are more hardy.)

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea Florida, as a long time FL Ric lover Id say there's a water parameter it didn't agree with. However, you may want to move your question to the "general reef discussion" forum or "soft coral" specific sub forum for more traffic. If you specifically want to ask TSA I would email or PM them directly.

When you move the question to one of the other sub forums you will want to post current water test results and be a bit more specific on the lighting type (brand and settings) and tank specs. Testing and having the results will save you some time since that will likely be the first of two main questions asked to help with the issue... second being lighting type or tank age.

With my dealings with FL. Ric, and the appearance of yours pictured, I would put money on PO4 and/or NO3 (nutrients) being the cause of unhappiness.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell it's a Florida?
Structure mainly, Fl and Yuma can usually be easily be id'd buy the mouth. Florida Rics will have smooth mouth "bump" and Ric Yuma will have bubbles on the mouth "bump". IME Floridas have a more uniform bubble size across the entire polyp opposed to their cousin from the pacific. of course there are some variants that are a little closer in resemblance but after a while they are still pretty easily identified.

The soft coral subforum has several sticky threads at the top of the first page dedicated to Ricordeas. One each for Yuma and Florida care tips, and a "eye candy" showoff thread dedicated to both types here: Yuma & FL ric Eye candy thread...

Ric Yuma pictured where the bubbles are easily noticeable on the mouth.

1609715638828.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back