Raise in average PH from 7.8 to 8.2 - what to expect ?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added CO2 scrubber and recirculating to my skimmer …pH has gone up to an average of 8.2 from 7.8 what should I expect to see from my SPS better growth ? better polyp extension? What has been your experience ??

Best regards. Dean

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a KALK stirrer to raise mine. My skimmer isn't big enough to pull out enough CO2. But 8.2 is a good average.

The most visible outcome I experienced was coralline going nuts. Expect your MP40s/60s to see a citric acid bath more frequently.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a KALK stirrer to raise mine. My skimmer isn't big enough to pull out enough CO2. But 8.2 is a good average.

The most visible outcome I experienced was coralline going nuts. Expect your MP40s/60s to see a citric acid bath more frequently.
i also changed my skimmer from a deltec 1000xi to a bubble king DC 200...ph is now almost 8.4 at max with a nite time low of 8.2

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also changed my skimmer from a deltec 1000xi to a bubble king DC 200...ph is now almost 8.4 at max with a nite time low of 8.2
Those are solid numbers. Now that it has cooled off and the windows are open more, my pH is really cranking up.

1635710009529.png

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are solid numbers. Now that it has cooled off and the windows are open more, my pH is really cranking up.

1635710009529.png
nice, and what changes are you seeing in acropora? better polyp extension or growth or coloration, be good to see what changes are common with higher PH..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, and what changes are you seeing in acropora? better polyp extension or growth or coloration, be good to see what changes are common with higher PH..
Nothing on color really. In my system, that seems more tied to nutrient at least for my most reactive acros.

But I do see them laying down new skeleton faster. A lit of white tips sprouting. Coralline is faster too.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pH increase doesn't change color or polyp extension but it will increase your alkalinity consumption so check alkalinity daily because it will drop. Growth rates increase noticeably.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pH increase doesn't change color or polyp extension but it will increase your alkalinity consumption so check alkalinity daily because it will drop. Growth rates increase noticeably.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on color really. In my system, that seems more tied to nutrient at least for my most reactive acros.

But I do see them laying down new skeleton faster. A lit of white tips sprouting. Coralline is faster too.
Yes. Same here. Also water seems more clear.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your calcium and alkalinity are higher than average, expect much more precipitation in pumps etc. Keeping only slightly higher than seawater (8dkh-9dkh alk) with at least 1300ppm magnesium will mitigate precipitation.

High PH + high Alk & calcium is a waste of 2 part and time spent on cleaning.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with pH for a long time. Peak was 8 and lows 7.8s. The scrubber did help, but not much for me. Increasing draw in the DC skimmer does suck in more scrubbed air, but that just throws off the tuning of the skimmer. What I have noticed is that I switched gears and focused on the CaRX side of my tank. I tuned the CaRx to have lower drip effluent volume, but higher concentration. I.e. put less, but more potent CaRX water. Nothing else changed and my peaks now go to 8.2-8.3 without any other changes. This was huge for me personally. And I honestly don't think my scrubber does much, but it doesn't seem to color change to the exhausted indicator color. It's been months since I've changed scrubber media.. still white.

Game changer for me with the bump in pH.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back