Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poured out like a small cups worth into a satalite container to avoid contamination then pull out 1 ml at 8pm and 1 ml 12am mix with a cup of saltwater from my tank pour right back in have insane polyp extension from all sps pink spiny cucumber, sea apple and sun polyps then I mix in Phytofeast every third or forth feeding when feast is out I will try just feeding shellfish 1800.
How long have you had your sea apple? Has it improved, declined, stayed about the same?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind boggling, how can Creatures live in alkaline solution.

When working in deep water drilling, we did video & sonor surveys to document our environmental impact. In one case, we were required to monitor hydrogen sulfide vents in 3000’ of water. Weird stuff that made “The Dark Side of the Moon” look tame.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna try duplicating this eventually

Screenshot_2018-12-14-18-26-39-1.png

I like your vision.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to interrupt in your thread, but this is probably why they get so big. A video I shot in the philippines. Of course the plankton was somewhat attracted to our lights. But zoöplankton density was huge on almost every night.

Outstanding. Most NPS feed heavily at night when zooplanktone emerges. With respect to your video, I observed similar behavior at the mouth of the Mississippi River. As a subsea engineer on semi submersibles, in shallower water, I was responsible for conducting underwater surveys with a camera mounted to a frame that followed guidelines to the BOP attached to wellhead on the bottom. Because current was extreme, being pushed off location was a 24/7 possibility. Because of this threat, the complete riser system, the subsea BOP and the subsea wellhead were visually inspected each day. While descending through the first 50’ visibility was obscured due to muddy fresh water carried by the current of the Mississippi River. At 100’ we could see but when camera lights were turned on, the bugs obscured everything. To enable documentation of ball joint angle at the wellhead, I ran whinch camera blind with no lights on. When the weight of camera frame touched BOP frame, slack was evident in camera cable. At that point, camera was aligned with ballpoint angle indicator. Within 10 seconds off lights on, the bugs blocked the view.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding. Most NPS feed heavily at night when zooplanktone emerges. With respect to your video, I observed similar behavior at the mouth of the Mississippi River. As a subsea engineer on semi submersibles, in shallower water, I was responsible for conducting underwater surveys with a camera mounted to a frame that followed guidelines to the BOP attached to wellhead on the bottom. Because current was extreme, being pushed off location was a 24/7 possibility. Because of this threat, the complete riser system, the subsea BOP and the subsea wellhead were visually inspected each day. While descending through the first 50’ visibility was obscured due to muddy fresh water carried by the current of the Mississippi River. At 100’ we could see but when camera lights were turned on, the bugs obscured everything. To enable documentation of ball joint angle at the wellhead, I ran whinch camera blind with no lights on. When the weight of camera frame touched BOP frame, slack was evident in camera cable. At that point, camera was aligned with ballpoint angle indicator. Within 10 seconds off lights on, the bugs blocked the view.
@Subsea, when Dick Cheney was VP, having a tour of Snake River? Could be different river? Had sub go ahead of them incase terror attack from under water. Funny

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, thanks for sharing. No wonder when I feed alot more ,I see a change. Gave me idea. On live food and light.
Just for your info. That video DOES NOT accurately represent true plankton densities. The light attracts the plankton and other suspended motile organisms. During a night dive, these organisms will aggregate around the source of light. Turn off the light, swim a short distance and there will be exponentially fewer free-swimming organisms in the water column... until they begin to re-aggregate around the light source. Do not take that video as evidence of anything other than plankton will aggregate around a divers' light source at night.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for your info. That video DOES NOT accurately represent true plankton densities. The light attracts the plankton and other suspended motile organisms. During a night dive, these organisms will aggregate around the source of light. Turn off the light, swim a short distance and there will be exponentially fewer free-swimming organisms in the water column... until they begin to re-aggregate around the light source. Do not take that video as evidence of anything other than plankton will aggregate around a divers' light source at night.
Thanks for info. That was sent to me. They were nice enough to to share here on thread.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for info. That was sent to me. They were nice enough to to share here on thread.
Yes, it is pretty spectacular to see, more so in real life and even more when the corals spawn.

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's what I said right? Even though it does not represent the actual density of zoöplankton, it gives a whole better view on it than all the daylight videos. We clearly underestimate how many zoo and phyto plankton there is in the water column. Even with the lights of for a while (to see the bioluminescent plankton) and on night swims without lights, you could litterly feel the zoöplankton swimming on hands and face. In fact if this much plankton is attracted to the light in just a few seconds, it does give a pretty good example about the fact that most of us underestimate plankton density at night. And that is the point I tried to make :)

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I said right? Even though it does not represent the actual density of zoöplankton, it gives a whole better view on it than all the daylight videos. We clearly underestimate how many zoo and phyto plankton there is in the water column. Even with the lights of for a while (to see the bioluminescent plankton) and on night swims without lights, you could litterly feel the zoöplankton swimming on hands and face. In fact if this much plankton is attracted to the light in just a few seconds, it does give a pretty good example about the fact that most of us underestimate plankton density at night. And that is the point I tried to make :)
Absolutely. No doubt about it.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I placed an order with one vendor and I know it will take a while to get the order. Just this morning a different vendor email me to order some dendors through him. The dendro's will be cauliflower type. I wonder what they will look like.

Maybe like this

Screenshot_2018-08-20-11-03-09-1.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back