NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tunicate bought on last Saturday. Happy now

Wish they had more.

Screenshot_20191013-183716.png Screenshot_20191013-183701.png

Ahh ascidian ... Its funny the colorful ones are hard to keep but the dull ones thrive... so far how is the hiatt system holding up? Is nitrate under control without sulfur denitrator?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ascidian ... Its funny the colorful ones are hard to keep but the dull ones thrive... so far how is the hiatt system holding up? Is nitrate under control without sulfur denitrator?
Last time I tested NO3 was 2 weeks ago 20ppm. Hiatt in DIY canister filter I made blue bucket. All good. Need to do 20% WC this week. I notice all carnation corals that de-stress (Emark ones) in strong laminar flow , atrophy almost unnoticeable. That would be 9 of them. The ones in sump , in chaotic flow 3 out of 20. Doing great. They need strong, laminar flow. In addition to food and filtration.

So moral of the story. Is figure out how to make laminar flow in small tanks 10-100 gallon.
Cylinder or hexagonal tanks help. For these corals hexagonal or cylinder tanks ideal.
I have 30 gallon hexagonal tank, going to set up. They should thrive in them.

Screenshot_2019-10-05-13-28-19-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Month 4. The carnation corals in laminar flow, better health, no polyp atrophy, even though they shunk enough to notice, but stop shirking, a month ago. Attributed to more feeding. Polyps popping up on most base rock of mother colonies. In 5 years should have some nice colonies if all goes well. Hahaha. ....

My next project, raise some of these adult colonies like 5, in a hexagon tank. Need to get more gyre pumps, ideal for these setups.
Again hexagon or cylinder tanks best for NPS softies. Depending on tank size. 30 gallon 1-5. 55 gallon tank 5-8? Can't have corals blocking water flow to other carnation corals. Side by side, staggered but side by side, fine.

5187097.jpeg home-design-cylinder-fish-tank-cylinder-fish-tank-volume-calculator.jpg

NPS_Bulu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Month 4. The carnation corals in laminar flow, better health, no polyp atrophy, even though they shunk enough to notice, but stop shirking, a month ago. Attributed to more feeding. Polyps popping up on most base rock of mother colonies. In 5 years should have some nice colonies if all goes well. Hahaha. ....

My next project, raise some of these adult colonies like 5, in a hexagon tank. Need to get more gyre pumps, ideal for these setups.
Again hexagon or cylinder tanks best for NPS softies. Depending on tank size. 30 gallon 1-5. 55 gallon tank 5-8? Can't have corals blocking water flow to other carnation corals. Side by side, staggered but side by side, fine.

5187097.jpeg home-design-cylinder-fish-tank-cylinder-fish-tank-volume-calculator.jpg

Can't wait to see the next setup... do the polyps move to face the direction of flow?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the next setup... do the polyps move to face the direction of flow?
Most do. I have a 30 gallon hex. I also have a cylinder tank Going with hex. Easier to find new or especially used . One tank which was half moon, I made into cylinder . The laminar flow was close to perfect. Existing tank right now, effective but I notice more planning than with hex or cylinder type.

Pictures from the web

Screenshot_2019-10-17-15-27-33-1.png Screenshot_2019-10-17-15-11-48-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is well, I feel like a farmer. Waiting and hoping for good harvest. Pictures coming soon. Do have like 15+ tiny,tiny dendronephthya polyps, from 1mm to 3 mm,3mm ones with multiple polyps. In 5 years, if all goes well, good harvest. Hahaha

Now, out of the 33 carnation corals, dendronephthya spp. I think 15 look great for being 4mo and no protein skimmer used. The 15 that look great, had decent laminar flow. And for over feeding. 80% frags still alive and growing.
The scleronephthya 80% of the 10, great. Also, all have shrink(25%?) but, i think for being in close system, not enough of what they really eat in ocean. Pictures coming.

For now fine tuning new feeding system. Stay tune

Screenshot_2019-10-28-03-44-18-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the other piece today, this is 30 minutes after hitting my water, no food added, I told the shop that it would die if they kept it, 3 different hitch hikers on the rock. :)

DSC09574 (1024x732).jpg
Beautiful and healthy specimens. Your LRS has awesome selection of corals. Thanks for sharing and keep me posted comrade.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back