OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this morning increased food to 45mL every 20 minutes. Made also new batch of food. Need to design refrigeration system to keep food cool and dosing hose too. Have some ideas

Screenshot_2018-10-30-09-21-09-1.png

ORP is over 340 looking good, with 35mL of food

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why ...
Tap water(Prime),
carbon filtration(Hiatt filtration) that's a whole lotta carbon you got there :eek:!!

Regular water keeps it simple, although leaning toward RODI filtration. I did 90% WC with distill h2o, ORP shot up. That's good.

Carbon has most surface area for bacteria, the key is backwash every 3-4weeks. Keep surface open.
And with Hiatt, it's infused with bacteria and they, not me, say, their using different carbons in their formula . So far good success with Hiatt.

Thanks for asking

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Ive used refugiums to control nitrates, refugium couldn't keep up, removing NO3. The refugium I'd need to big of a foot print. So by accident found out about Hiatt, very small foot print, to handle nitrates and especially NH3, so far so good.

Screenshot_2018-10-30-10-34-44-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a sulphur denitrator? Caribsea sulphur is not too expensive and can go in a normal reactor then you just need to control flow. The sulphur lasts a really long time too.
At the very start on 10/2017, I used them, threw off my alkalinity and ph out of wack . I think flow rate alittle to fast, but nitrates did go down. What was missing then was food reciepe I use now. The system I use now carbon, every 3-5 days add sugar 6mL, helps feed bacteria in carbon, bacteria feed on nitrates in past. Works for me. I've made my own sulfur denitrators. I like them. Thanks for info.

Last edited:

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon has most surface area for bacteria, the key is backwash every 3-4weeks. Keep surface open.

Thanks for asking

First off ... Thanks for taking the time to explain but what does "backwash" meant on your carbon for bacteria application? Also I noticed that the carbon you're utilizing is different from our common activated carbon? :)

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off ... Thanks for taking the time to explain but what does "backwash" meant on your carbon for bacteria application? Also I noticed that the carbon you're utilizing is different from our common activated carbon? :)

Backwash is to reverse water flow backwards to clean/clear build up detritus in carbon.

You mentioned "carbon you're utilizing is different from our common activated carbon? "
What do you mean?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very start on 10/2017, I used them, threw off my alkalinity and ph out of wack . I think flow rate alittle to fast, but nitrates did go down. What was missing then was food reciepe I use now. The system I use now carbon, every 3-5 days add sugar 6mL, helps feed bacteria in carbon, bacteria feed on nitrates. Works for me. I've made my own sulfur denitrators. I like them. Thanks for info.

I remember reading in The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 that the water exiting a sulphur reactor should go through a second chamber with aragonite to correct the PH before returning to the aquarium. You probably are aware but thought I’d mention anyway :) good luck with your Dendro’s!

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned "carbon you're utilizing is different from our common activated carbon? "
What do you mean?

I thought the carbon you've got looked like tiny skinny sticks unlike the irregular roundish ones that I'm using OR maybe it's a different product? I'm using Marineland's ... o_O . Maybe it's because I've been using Marineland carbon product since day one ... ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the carbon you've got looked like tiny skinny sticks unlike the irregular roundish ones that I'm using OR maybe it's a different product? I'm using Marineland's ... o_O . Maybe it's because I've been using Marineland carbon product since day one ... ;Facepalm
Carbon I use comes in pellets. So little clogging. Thanks for info

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Friday 18 dendronephthya, hopefully

Stay tune

Buddy, I am tuned in! Fingers crossed for healthy specimens! All us lurkers expect pictures :)

Researched that Haitt filtration - not much on the web out there about it in saltwater application. Really cool though! Do you run a skimmer with it? What little I did find on the web maybe it sound like there were so little organics in the water a skimmer wouldn't work well even if you wanted it to (bubbles pop easy, don't form skimmate well). Awesome.

Also, I am diggin' that wet-dry filter. That's some totally rad old school fun. Backwash the media there as well?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L
I'm going to talk to divers getting my dendronephthya in an hour, see if all going we'll. Mychildren of the sea, coming.:)
Left message to divers, no reply yet. We'll see.

Found this going to drill holes and slowly set up.

Broke bulkhead fitting, plan B
@Sallstrom this is how you drill into glass

20181031_170027.jpg

20181031_170032.jpg

20181031_170039.jpg

20181031_171955.jpg

20181031_172209.jpg

Broke bulkhead fitting, waiting for new one. Here's more on tank# 2

Stay tune

20181101_115156.jpg

20181101_115202.jpg

20181101_115220.jpg

20181101_115150.jpg

20181101_115238.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back