"I do have feelings!" :p

DSC_0013 (1024x692).jpg

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on the NPS corals guys! Carnations have always been a favorite of mine but as most cases I could never keep one alive, nevermind thriving. I love following along on y'alls progress. Mind telling me what feeding schedule you are following? Fascinating and beautiful!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done on the NPS corals guys! Carnations have always been a favorite of mine but as most cases I could never keep one alive, nevermind thriving. I love following along on y'alls progress. Mind telling me what feeding schedule you are following? Fascinating and beautiful!

About feeding schedule, 24/7, can use dosing pump I think, I built diy feeding device (patent pending) so for now proprietary. Soon going to try again dosing pump.
Thanks for kind words

IMG_20191201_090105_528.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the types of feeds you guys are using? Good luck on your patent! Excellent work. :)
Can use comparable, make a batch put in frig, one option. 50% Phyto-Feast, 50% raw egg(for its gooyness) 1/4 of a teaspoon per 50ml. That's it, because I'm not familiar with your tank set up you will have to figure out the right amount to feed, like they say every tank is different. I usually have everything separate in the fridge the egg also is Blended before mixing into ingredients. So what I do is this 50 ml Phyto-Feast, 50ml of raw egg, 1/4 teaspoon reefroids, mix together. Save what you don't use and fridge. All ingredients are separate and in the fridge except for reefroids

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep acros about 10 inches higher than that is! ;)
I keep acros about 10 inches higher than that is! ;)
what do you have like a little micro weather system in there where the water is pure on top and as it settles down it's dirtier. Hahaha

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I somehow missed this thread in my effort to find more info.

I guess first question would be, Is this a Carnation Coral? Not sue if you can tell by the photos but it's about 8 inches tall.

image10.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

If not I can relax on feeding the phyto and reef roids, but I think I'd also be rather sad in a way.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess first question would be, Is this a Carnation Coral? Not sue if you can tell by the photos but it's about 8 inches tall.

image10.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

If not I can relax on feeding the phyto and reef roids, but I think I'd also be rather sad in a way.
Ok, it's beautiful. And yes a carnation coral from Tonga or Vietnam. Yes keep feeding, and water flow and filtration key to success, if at one point starts to get thin, move to a different spot. Because I'm not familiar with your flow in tank. You'll have to determine where good spot. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image10.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Just remember, if it's colorful, it's non-photosynthetic

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it's beautiful. And yes a carnation coral from Tonga or Vietnam. Yes keep feeding, and water flow and filtration key to success, if at one point starts to get thin, move to a different spot. Because I'm not familiar with your flow in tank. You'll have to determine where good spot. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing

Well, at least I know I haven't been doing all this for nothing.

Flow was one of the first things I figured out. It really loves it's flow. The pump in the photo is set to pulse and is reflecting off the glass right in front of it. I also figured out it hates light so I lowered my tank lights a bit and I have a light diffuser (piece of construction paper) placed on the glass brace that runs across my tank above it so it really only gets light reflecting off the glass.

So far I've been feeding it 2 times a day on weekdays and 3 times on weekends. It seems to like to eat more after lights out though, or I could be wrong. As for food I've been turning off my return pump and dosing Polyp Booster and Red Sea part A and B, then I wait about 20 minutes and broadcast feed a Phytoplankton/Zooplankton filter feeder mix food mixed with Reef Roids. I keep the return pump off for about 30 minutes with just the power heads running.

So far nutrients in my tank have been kept in check. I have 7" Klir filter, 3 Xport Bio Bricks on top of a layer of Matrix rock, a Red Sea Reefer 600 protein skimmer that's 5X oversized for my tank, GFO and Bio pellets and I dose Nopox nightly and Phospat-e if it needs a little help.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

I sort of purchased this without knowing what I was purchasing because my wife loved it. And the LFS guy said it was easy, like a mushroom coral.

It's only been a week but it does seem happy. Not that I'm a coral whisperer or something, but you can usually tell if something is going down hill. In the store it looked more like a clump of pink broccoli and it stayed that way for a day after I got it home. But now it's opened up like a tree and it's surprised me how big it actually is.

Sorry for the ramble but until I found this thread I thought I was screwed. My wife loves it and is way more receptive to me purchasing whatever I need for the tank to keep it alive, where she used to complain when I needed more salt.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image10.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Well done, that is beautiful.:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back