Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what else do they eat? I know Phytoplankton, but is there other foods they need? Or is that still part of the great mystery of keeping them alive?

I'm assuming most mortalities are caused by starvation/malnutrition.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 21 herbs and spices ( figuratively)

All in powder
Locust
Crickets
Anchovies
Shrimp
Spiralina
Chlorella
Kelp
Nori
Chaetomorpha blended fresh
Raw egg
Yeast
Certain powder bacteria (looking for name)
Rotifers
Oyster eggs
Mysis shrimp
Cyclops
Any protein

This product courtesy of AcroNem , AcroNem mention product , info from a vendor

Paracoccus (astaxanthin powder) is derived from the bacteria, Paracoccus carotinifaciens, grown in a controlled environment. P. carotinifaciens is a natural source of astaxanthin and other carotenoids and is used in both aquaculture and ornamental fish husbandry to improve or maintain the coloration in fish and shrimp when incorporated into the diet. Nearly all of Brine Shrimp Direct's flakes, both conventional and COOL, contain significant amounts of paracoccus, spirulina, and/or carophyll to improve pigmentation in ornamental fish.

Paracoccus contains approximately 2.1% astaxanthin.

The primary Carotenoids found in paracoccus are: Astaxanthin, 21 g/kg; Adonirubin, 9 g/kg, and; Canthaxanthin, 2 g/kg.

Proximate analysis: Moisture 4.5% w/w; Crude Protein 45.3% w/w; Crude Fat 7.9 %w/w; Crude Fibre <0.1 % w/w; Crude Ash 7.2 % w/w; Nitrogen-free extract 35.2 % w/w.

Store in a cool dry place. Keep bags tightly closed or vacuum-sealed if possible to slow oxidation.

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might need the help of a DR and friends! ;)

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might need the help of a DR and friends! ;)

Doctor out on vacation please leave a message after the tone. Thank you

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vietnam dendronephthya and scleronephthya
@Slingshot357 no burgundy yours gotta be Australia or maybe Kenya

received_905544313181666.jpeg received_552753258619990.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what else do they eat? I know Phytoplankton, but is there other foods they need? Or is that still part of the great mystery of keeping them alive?

I'm assuming most mortalities are caused by starvation/malnutrition.
You mention what they really eat, I don't know but I tried all these different foods and maybe something else but I can't remember right now it's a lot of foods I've tried in the past and in the end it was the flow that I think needed too fool them there in the ocean

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing out micro fridge to keep phytoplankton refrigerated. Plan B if brightwell aquatics food doesn't work.

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

Shot glass for scale.
image8.jpeg
It's all been done under the sun my friend, I like the way you think if you can Plumb water from display tank to go in and out of the fridge that way your product stays Fresh also feed your food through a venti fitting inside the fridge of course.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all been done under the sun my friend, I like the way you think if you can Plumb water from display tank to go in and out of the fridge that way your product stays Fresh also feed your food through a venti fitting inside the fridge of course.

I don't know, just making it up as I go. Was thinking of just drilling a hole in the top and putting a dosing container inside with a pump for circulation then just using dosing pump to deliver about 3ml ever hour.

Something like this.

image9.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, just making it up as I go. Was thinking of just drilling a hole in the top and putting a dosing container inside with a pump for circulation then just using dosing pump to deliver about 3ml ever hour.

Something like this.

image9.jpeg
Should work

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking to automate the dosing of refrigerated food this is one of the neatest solutions I’ve seen

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking to automate the dosing of refrigerated food this is one of the neatest solutions I’ve seen

That's a nice setup. Same idea. He's using a much larger fridge and placing his dosing pump inside.

TBH I have no expectations of keeping Dendra alive for very long, just as long as possible. I'm not an expert in reefing what so ever, I'm amateur at best. That being said, I'll still make a valiant effort to do the best my skills, time and finances can.

Like the Dr said:

It's all been done under the sun my friend

I'm positive I couldn't possible come up with anything that hasn't been tried before. What I am trying to coming up with is ways to implement other's ideas in a manner I can handle, both skill wise and financially. Who knows, maybe something I mention anecdotally will spur an idea for someone with much greater skill than me.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice setup. Same idea. He's using a much larger fridge and placing his dosing pump inside.

TBH I have no expectations of keeping Dendra alive for very long, just as long as possible. I'm not an expert in reefing what so ever, I'm amateur at best. That being said, I'll still make a valiant effort to do the best my skills, time and finances can.

Like the Dr said:

I'm positive I couldn't possible come up with anything that hasn't been tried before. What I am trying to coming up with is ways to implement other's ideas in a manner I can handle, both skill wise and financially. Who knows, maybe something I mention anecdotally will spur an idea for someone with much greater skill than me.
The point I'm at, it's not that I knew what I'm doing, I took for example flow and configured a thousand ways( exaggeration ), but the thousand one , did the trick. Same with food dosing, and filtration. It was by accident, every discovery. Most of what I've implemented is only effective on my tank design. That's why you notice me say I'm not familiar with your tank so I can only recommend. My tank design can be condensed down to a 10 gallon or a 3000 gallon tank.

That's why some of the information out there for these corals, I scratch my head. Example there's a on YouTube videos of a well-known marine biologist running test on these corals and looking at those corals they look like they're from Tonga and the flow they're using doesn't even come close to the area those corals are from. In video I see one way laminar flow, there's videos of of those Tonga corals in the ocean and it is not one directional flow and what I've discovered that is totally wrong for that type of coral. There are some videos on the internet show some corals where the water is flowing for a certain amount of time one way then it starts flowing the other direction for a certain amount of time but not for the corals that look like from Tonga in those test being conducted.

That's why if you go through all the old information of different forums where people are trying to keep them alive. And they're using information that's supposed to be helpful in keeping them alive but professionals and hobbies have not been able to. That's when you have to start thinking outside the box, some things maybe extreme and others you wish not to talk about ever.

Time will tell........

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a phyoplankton grow kit. Going to try to grow my own. Buying it is getting to expensive.

I like stuff like that, it's fun. I got a brine shrimp kit too. I've been putting them in my tank. I'm not even sure I have anything that eats them.

I also have a small freshwater tank just because I wanted to see how many ramshorn snails I could get. Answer is A LOT! More than you can give away.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I'm at, it's not that I knew what I'm doing, I took for example flow and configured a thousand ways( exaggeration ), but the thousand one , did the trick. Same with food dosing, and filtration. It was by accident, every discovery. Most of what I've implemented is only effective on my tank design. That's why you notice me say I'm not familiar with your tank so I can only recommend. My tank design can be condensed down to a 10 gallon or a 3000 gallon tank.

Do you happen to know what the flow is like in Australia? I know Dendra likes flow but I might have a bit too much flow. Just looking for a starting point.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know what the flow is like in Australia? I know Dendra likes flow but I might have a bit too much flow. Just looking for a starting point.
Best way to answer your question is go on YouTube or on the internet and check out the videos of soft corals in Australia and you get an idea on the flow , personally I don't think we can replicate exactly but we can get close that's why you have to try a thousand different ways and see what happens

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back