OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received cricket flour. Ton of protein for corals. We'll see what happens. Stay tune

20190207_123040.jpg

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location, location, location, I've come to notice depending where I glue especially the dendronephthya corals determines if they live or die
What do you think is different in the conditions in this particular spot, where they do well? Or what’s missing in the other areas?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this about crickets
Crickets boast an excellent nutrient profile, providing a great source of lean protein, vitamins and minerals. Crickets contain about 65% protein, and other insects can contain up to 80% protein. ... They also have omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and are high in calcium and vitamin B12.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is different in the conditions in this particular spot, where they do well? Or what’s missing in the other areas?
The DT is half moon, I add partitions to make water flow in circular direction. If your look from above, say the area in contact to air, the heathy looking dendros(2), are at 12&1 O'clock. When looking directly thru front of DT glass 12 O'clock is 4inches from bottom, 1 O'clock is 4 inches from top. Another healthy one has a large sponge by it and sponge traps/reduces water flow to the dendro so may help it, coral is 3 inshes small but most healthy one,4th is 3 O'clock close to top. Still healthy. Looks like 8 O'clock & 4 O'clock not good area. But when I receive more dendronephthya corals, will know.

Also I changed water flow to 50 seconds one direction then 50 seconds opposite direction.
This done 1 week ago. Helps

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT is half moon, I add partitions to make water flow in circular direction. If your look from above, say the area in contact to air, the heathy looking dendros(2), are at 12&1 O'clock. When looking directly thru front of DT glass 12 O'clock is 4inches from bottom, 1 O'clock is 4 inches from top. Another healthy one has a large sponge by it and sponge traps/reduces water flow to the dendro so may help it, coral is 3 inshes small but most healthy one,4th is 3 O'clock close to top. Still healthy. Looks like 8 O'clock & 4 O'clock not good area. But when I receive more dendronephthya corals, will know.

Also I changed water flow to 50 seconds one direction then 50 seconds opposite direction.
This done 1 week ago. Helps
Do you think food collects in these areas? or is brought on the current at the correct velocity? Is the flow at any particular angle to the corals that may be helping them?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think food collects in these areas? or is brought on the current at the correct velocity? Is the flow at any particular angle to the corals that may be helping them?
Waiting for my 22 NPS softies, when here will put many in sweet spot. And that should answer our questions. Hope soon

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My master piece will be a round tank(which i have) and funnel the bottom to let excess food accumulate and then remove excess food and help water perimeters for the benefit of my children of the sea. Stay tune.

In the planning stages

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to check on my children of the sea, found one of the wave maker controller stop working. Second controller to go out on this new wave maker, within 2 months, not good. I have some eflux pumps I'll be using one pump see what happens not good.

U

User1

View Badges
Found this about crickets
Crickets boast an excellent nutrient profile, providing a great source of lean protein, vitamins and minerals. Crickets contain about 65% protein, and other insects can contain up to 80% protein. ... They also have omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and are high in calcium and vitamin B12.

Taught in cub scouts, also survival training, er, and also from my grand parents believe it or not, that if you are lost in the woods do two things:

1. Watch what deer eat
2. Eat insects

Insects for the very reason you noted above. Just saying if the Zombie apocalypse happens this will separate who escapes and saves humanity vs. those who join the zombie army... :D

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't even realize we are in month2 and still going strong with four healthy dendronephthya and two, hopefully they'll get healthier. Lost one electric scallop the other still kicking. All sun corals thriving. Many gorgonians thriving. We'll see what comes our way. Stay tune

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If things continue as is, the dendronephthya corals do not show any atrophy, some really good health others hopefully recuperating. What I need to master is water flow for this tank or maybe different tank. I need to make them look like in their natural environment. Stay tune

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres next set up. These are made up to 14gallons wish bigger. Beggars cant be choosy. Planning stages. Stay tune

Reason we go with this, 1- detritus settles and be removed Efficiently.Better water quality for the corals. 2- its round so current will be linear. Stay tune

20190213_093155.png

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back