OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the Carnation corals that I was never able to keep alive or thriving. The orange with the white stalk

carnation-orange-coral__37093.1436381869.386.513.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sally from GARF, recommends the seachem product and has used it extensively. I was selling until the pandemic hit. Now I'm waiting till it's really over unfortunately. We had some really bad experiences with all the mail carriers. Oceanana1.com
Yea I converse with Sally Jo occasionally.

You know back in the day Sally Jo and Leroy’s systems were great. They had large systems and they had so much stuff living in them. Pods, bristle worms, mini stars, snails, algae and so much micro fauna etc. These things would spawn and produce so much food for the corals. Real food not some dead, dried or preserved food. They did not worry about spotless tanks either.

Now adays it is different everyone is afraid of everything. Tanks are so sterile, and corals are on the edge all the time because they are starving. So much RTN, Dinos etc because of it. People do not make it 5 years anymore in this hobby. Great looking tank and then boom gone. There is a bristle worm how do I get it out. I have a little cyano what can I dump in my tank to get rid of it. Yea let’s dump some chemi clean in it and take out another leg of the biodiversity. Sad really and the fear of something that is part of the biodiversity and has a role in our tanks. No one wants to listen though because they read something on facebook so it has to be true.

Corals are light in color so lets dump some phosphate and nitrate in. They are light because they are starving. I used to talk to Ron Shimek and Eric Borneman about coral nutrition allot. Hard part is figuring out what they eat. But both felt a coral could get additional nutrition through some feeding. They have a mouth and a way to grab food and some can take up nutrients through absorption. I mean think about it zooxanthellae produce just glucose and that is sugar. How would you feel if sugar is all you ate. The corals are just on the edge with these sterile systems and bleached rock. Even coralline plays a role in our tanks. It provides settlement for certain critters.

Sorry about the Rant but Their tanks were so good and I loved looking at their tanks because they got it and understood it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I converse with Sally Jo occasionally.

You know back in the day Sally Jo and Leroy’s systems were great. They had large systems and they had so much stuff living in them. Pods, bristle worms, mini stars, snails, algae and so much micro fauna etc. These things would spawn and produce so much food for the corals. Real food not some dead, dried or preserved food. They did not worry about spotless tanks either.

Now adays it is different everyone is afraid of everything. Tanks are so sterile, and corals are on the edge all the time because they are starving. So much RTN, Dinos etc because of it. People do not make it 5 years anymore in this hobby. Great looking tank and then boom gone. There is a bristle worm how to I get it out. I have a little cyano what can I dump in my tank to get rid of it. Yea let’s dump some chemi clean in it and take out another leg of the biodiversity. Sad really and the fear of something that is part of the biodiversity and has a role in our tanks. No one wants to listen though because they read something on facebook so it has to be true.

Corals are light in color so lets dump some phosphate and nitrate in. They are light because they are starving. I used to talk to Ron Shimek and Eric Borneman about coral nutrition allot. Hard part is figuring out what they eat. But both felt a coral could get additional nutrition through some feeding. They have a mouth and a way to grab food and some can take up nutrients through absorption. I mean think about it zooxanthellae produce just glucose and that is sugar. How would you feel if sugar is all you ate. The corals are just on the edge with these sterile systems and bleached rock. Even coralline plays a role in our tanks. It provides settlement for certain critters.

Sorry about the Rant but Their tanks were so good and I loved looking at their tanks because they got it and understood it.
Thanks for sharing
Good info

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are experimenting with aminos this is worth a look..

I was using Red Sea AB+ but it was so expensive (at least here in Oz) that I looked for alternatives and found an Aussie brand that makes bio-enhance. It’s the same thing but for my system works out 10.5 X cheaper. It requires a 4ml dose in my 700L tank so it’s very concentrated which you can smell when you open it. So far my Goni has reacted well and my hammers have expanded their flesh and look nice and puffy.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Corals looking good!
This took me 3 years in the making. To make stand upright and now thrive. The coral is new like a few days old but I've been able to get others to stand upright, and looks like they're thriving. I changed foods to more of an amino acid blend. Red Sea energy ab+, I go with this product because I buy wholesale and I buy in 5 l containers five at a time and cheap for me.

1 of 20 carnation corals, dendronephthya umbellulifera sp.

Just took picture

IMG_20210423_070623178.jpg

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This took me 3 years in the making. To make stand upright and now thrive. The coral is new like a few days old but I've been able to get others to stand upright, and looks like they're thriving. I changed foods to more of an amino acid blend. Red Sea energy ab+, I go with this product because I buy wholesale and I buy in 5 l containers five at a time and cheap for me.

1 of 20 carnation corals, dendronephthya umbellulifera sp.

Just took picture

IMG_20210423_070623178.jpg

Really a work of love and dedication!

SupraSaltyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but such great info so far from the pages I’ve read. Haven’t had a chance to read through all 132 pages yet but I’ll just post this here for now in hopes of some care advice. I’ve only had it for a week. Have been feeding it a mixture of phyto, frozen mysis, and reefroids. Moved it to low light and low flow and seems to be doing better and opening up more than the high flow and high par.

Anyone else have had success keeping Dendronephthya long term?

IMG_9279.jpeg
IMG_9292.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back