Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dr. Dendrostein I believe I read earlier in this thread that your NPS likely eat some sort of bacteria, and I know I've read that about other coral and filter feeders. Is it known what strain they prefer, if they indeed have a preference? Would it be possible to culture the preferred variety of bacteria and introduce to a tank?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dr. Dendrostein I believe I read earlier in this thread that your NPS likely eat some sort of bacteria, and I know I've read that about other coral and filter feeders. Is it known what strain they prefer, if they indeed have a preference? Would it be possible to culture the preferred variety of bacteria and introduce to a tank?
You know, I mix together all in flour form, Reef Roids, whole anchovies, locust, freeze dry mysis, artic pods, and raw egg, then mix in sw. Because it sits out in hot temperatures, starts producing bacteria. I'm thinking now that they will eat almost anything if they can grasp with their tentacles. I don't think they're that picky, because they're still alive.
Then I mix in separate container, Reef Nutrition, Phyto-Feast, oyster-feast,roti-feast,blended,whole oysters,shrimp,etc.... feed it with second dosing pump.
Also modified a small fish feeder(dry food), to come on 6-8 time in 24hrs.

Thanks for comment

Dendronephthya089-02(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya098-19(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya076-09(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya128-27(c)BNSullivan.jpg

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Back to square one " kinda and kinda not, although it feels like back to square one, it's not exactly.
Why?
1. Found out, have to start with healthy specimens
2. Found a food recipe that keeps them open 90% of the time, some growth, when they close up, they don't look shriveled up.
3. Finally found filtration system for large amounts of feeding (Hiatt filtration)
4. Tank design at this time (half moon) is one design to try raising them

This is the progress we've made

One thing is true, anything I discovered was by accident

Though the first year, I read all I could about dendronephthya, before starting, unless you get your hands dirty. You'll never know what you can achieve.

The goal is to be able aquaculture these corals, using the most simple equipment.
Tap water(Prime), carbon filtration(Hiatt filtration), simple foods,etc......

This year maybe we can say, "How to raise dendronephthya." We'll see.

Till then, we say,"Trying to raise dendronephthya year2"

To my children of the sea

Garf.org has a section on there care. I haven't been able to find any Sclerorophethyna. THey seem to be easier to take care of. Does anyone know where to order these?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf.org has a section on there care. I haven't been able to find any Sclerorophethyna. THey seem to be easier to take care of. Does anyone know where to order these?
I've looked on the net, nothing. So I had to go to main source. Teau Faletau on Facebook.
For scleronephthya colonies, they're not on the list of corals they ship. But if your nice and ask them. They should send them. Some stereonephthya too. When requesting special corals from Tonga, picture with request way to go.

Screenshot_2019-08-25-21-06-01.png

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I mix together all in flour form, Reef Roids, whole anchovies, locust, freeze dry mysis, artic pods, and raw egg, then mix in sw. Because it sits out in hot temperatures, starts producing bacteria. I'm thinking now that they will eat almost anything if they can grasp with their tentacles. I don't think they're that picky, because they're still alive.
Then I mix in separate container, Reef Nutrition, Phyto-Feast, oyster-feast,roti-feast,blended,whole oysters,shrimp,etc.... feed it with second dosing pump.
Also modified a small fish feeder(dry food), to come on 6-8 time in 24hrs.

Thanks for comment

Dendronephthya089-02(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya098-19(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya076-09(c)BNSullivan.jpg Dendronephthya128-27(c)BNSullivan.jpg

We have a great dry food, TDO Chroma BOOST, that comes in a 75-250 micron range. It's TDO A. You should give it a try. Many of our customers are starting to feed it to their corals.

Your animals look amazing!

Chad

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a great dry food, TDO Chroma BOOST, that comes in a 75-250 micron range. It's TDO A. You should give it a try. Many of our customers are starting to feed it to their corals.

Your animals look amazing!

Chad
Will do, thanks. Is ingredients on the label? Thx

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever intend on doing a DT with all of your babies?
I'm working on that. Trying to figure which way to go on design. Still in my head. It'll be awhile. Right now working on them thriving. Looks good,but anything can change.

Back