Raising Goniopora

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing and currently have a mixed reef. I have been reading but having problems putting the pieces of the coral puzzle together.
I have 2 Gonioporas and both are sickly looking. When I bought them they were very active and would extend about ½” to 1”. The LFS NEVER TOLD ME that they are hard to keep. Fine help and advise for a beginner, huh. Silence for the MONEY!! I have tried many things like checking and adjusting chemicals but to avail. The last thing I’m trying is raising the salinity level to 1.026 from 1.022.
Can someone, anyone help me save them. I need some simple solutions if possible. I don’t mind starting again but can not wait forever. I appreciate any help but need it from a seasoned Goniopora raiser someone that knows these beautiful creatures. PLEASE!

Bradley2448

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora do not typically do well unless fed high quality foods often through target feeding according to a lot of reefers out there. Most have good results using reef roids by polyp lab to bring goniopora back to not just survival, but a thriving state in the home aquarium. I had this same issue with a red and a highlighter Goni until I began feeding roids once a week. Haven’t got them to respond to anything else food wise.

OP
OP
Raven09

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora do not typically do well unless fed high quality foods often through target feeding according to a lot of reefers out there. Most have good results using reef roids by polyp lab to bring goniopora back to not just survival, but a thriving state in the home aquarium. I had this same issue with a red and a highlighter Goni until I began feeding roids once a week. Haven’t got them to respond to anything else food wise.
I’ve been doing a mixture of Reef Roids, reef chili and Benepets. I’ve read that they do better with target feeding and I’ve been feeding every other day. Just started so time will tell if this works!! I also worry about raising the other chemicals so I’ve been on the stingy side. Can’t win for loosing sometimes.
Thanks for the info.

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had success with goniopora but its something that i would definitely like to try again. I have heard that they do better when grown from frags. I have also heard that they benefit from frequent feedings in the form of small particle foods. I suspect that it may be helpful to have them in a tank with a lot of fish and a heavy feeding schedule. That way there are always nutrients in the water column. I intend to try goniopora again in my new system, these will be the things I'll be trying to do differently this time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back