Raising my clown's eggs for the first time and getting some interesting patterns!

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have been spawning for years and I finally decided to try raising them.
Glad I did, there's so many interesting ones appearing! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Jaqen PD.png

Attachments

• baby clowns.mp4
    11.4 MB
OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking clowns glad your finding success with them! any tips or tricks if others clowns are spawning?
I'm by no means an expert, but I can give some advice base on my experience:

- Don't take the eggs out too early. I took mine out as soon as they had silver eyes (several days before hatching) and as a result only around half the eggs hatched.

- Put in a few drops of Seachem Prime into all new water, there will always be ammonia until there's a filter.

- Make sure you have enough rotifers, they need a ton of them. I lost some fry on day 5 when my culture was running low and I was waiting for more to arrive.

- Enrich the rotifers - before putting in rotifers I always put them in a jar for a few hours with some enrichment (fatty acids ect). Should make them a little more nutritious than just phytoplankton.

- Try to keep the tank free from any debris and remove any that you see (I lost a fry on day 7 that tried to eat what looked like an arm hair).

- Around day 5, start to reduce to amount of water tint each day so that on day 10 you can put in filters.

- Day 10 , I put in a sponge filter (that's been aged in the main tank), this should take the ammonia down to almost zero (still have to do water changes though). I also put in a bag of live rock rubble with an airstone at the bottom of it.

- Separate the aggressive ones in isolation boxes. After getting into metamorphosis, they become aggressive. Some are so aggressive that they might have killed some smaller fry if I hadn't separated them. This is also for their own good, since the most aggressive ones weren't even eating when I put food it. Good news is that the aggression goes down after a few days. Still lost 2 baby clowns out of 40-50 in this time, but from what I've read it could have been a lot worse.

they look great.... almost like a peacekeeper maroon, look up Reef Builders Peacekeeper from back in 2015
peacekeeper-maroon-clownfish-2.jpg
Thanks! I don't see it myself, but my sister also said they look like a peacekeeper, so I guess they do :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think about it your probably better at raising clowns then 98% of the world. A person who succeeds in anything difficult is normally pretty close to an expert. Keep up the good work and good luck selling them I know I paid 150 for 2 designer clowns.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back