Raising nitrate, what to use and calculator,

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling to raise my NO3 above 1ppm. I have cyno on my sand and some on my rocks.
I have so far
Increased my feeding.
Increased fish numbers but I only have small.fish
Reduced the lighting period on my ATS to 8hours
Turned off my skimmer 2 weeks ago.
So questions.
What to use to increase my NO3. Potassium nitrate?
Calcium nitrate. I can only find this calcium nitrate so far here in the UK. I'll keep looking.

EDIT.
found this.

What would the mixing and dosing rate be for any of the above?
Is there a better substance to use?
I don't seem to be able to find a nitrate doing calculator here or online.
Thanks in advance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order of preference, these are the best nitrate sources:

calcium nitrate > sodium nitrate > potassium nitrate

calcium nitrate can be hard to find in pure form at reasonable cost, and isn't really needed.

Sodium nitrate is a good choice and cheap and pure (food grade from amazon, for example)

Potassium nitrate is a poor choice, IMO, unless you know you need potassium and are monitoring it closely.

For sodium or potassium or calcium nitrate, use this calculator and use the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate. It is close enough for all of them.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

calcium nitrate can be hard to find in pure form at reasonable cost, and isn't really needed.

Sodium nitrate is a good choice and cheap and pure (food grade from amazon, for example)

Potassium nitrate is a poor choice, IMO, unless you know you need potassium and are monitoring it closely.

For sodium or potassium or calcium nitrate, use this calculator and use the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate. It is close enough for all of them.

Thanks Randy much appreciated.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used NeoNitro from Brightwell,and tested the day after dosing to see my numbers then every other day to see my usage and then dosing according.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used NeoNitro from Brightwell,and tested the day after dosing to see my numbers then every other day to see my usage and then dosing according.

The concerns I have with neonitro are:

1. No clearly indication of what it is
2. No purity assurance that comes with a chemical grade such as food grade
3. Higher cost

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked wonders for me,so I didn't question it. And its not costly for a smaller system. Shoot the 250ml bottle was MORE THAN ENOUGH for my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked wonders for me,so I didn't question it. And its not costly for a smaller system. Shoot the 250ml bottle was MORE THAN ENOUGH for my tank.

Glad it worked for you. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have used neonitro, and it worked great for me and my smaller system. It's just to easy to use as there is no guessing or mixing. What I don't like about it, are just what @Randy Holmes-Farley stated.

For those of us that do not want to play "mad scientist" mixing our own, are there any other products like neonitro, but lack the shortcomings of neonitro, that is commercially available Randy?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last Triton showed my Potasium just inside the lower end of the green band good so room for it to increase. I have ordered some potassium nitrate which I should have by Friday.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can use the loudwolf solutions. i think @Reefahholic uses them for both no3/po4.
I still use LoudWolf and have been using them for a long time now with excellent results. Way cheaper than buy from these guys who are probably getting products off Amazon, eBay, or (who knows what they use) and mixing it up to sell for a 50% mark up. I would not trust their purity.

Just get a cheap scale and use the calculator at James Planted tank like Randy mentioned above. See video below for affordable accurate scale. Links in description:

AMDman13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy to your knowledge, are the products from Green Leaf Aquariums good quality?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have used neonitro, and it worked great for me and my smaller system. It's just to easy to use as there is no guessing or mixing. What I don't like about it, are just what @Randy Holmes-Farley stated.

For those of us that do not want to play "mad scientist" mixing our own, are there any other products like neonitro, but lack the shortcomings of neonitro, that is commercially available Randy?

nitrate.jpg

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I need this and need help. How close is potassium nitrate to calcium nitrate. I’m using calcium nitrate to put make a solution. Need a bit of help with this

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need this and need help. How close is potassium nitrate to calcium nitrate. I’m using calcium nitrate to put make a solution. Need a bit of help with this

If you mean in terms of potency, the calcium nitrate is a bit more potent on an equal weight basis.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back