Raising No3 Via Spectracide Stump Remover (Potassium Nitrate)

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its wrong but i don't quarantine. Picked up a 6 line and Royal Gramma as well as a few snails and clearer shrimp. LFS has a red sea cleaner wrasse that is in quarantine and will pick up in 3 weeks. Still not enough fish but want to take it slow. Sure need more pee and poo please ;-)

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right i do need more fish, will see what i can get. Really hate bring new fish into a system with 5 health Tangs...

QT, you can always do tank transfer method, or chloroquine phosphate. You could also purchase fish that have been quarantined but you'll pay for it. You could also go the PaulB route and feed live black worms and clams and work on fish immunity. I definitely need more fish I only have 5 in my tank, and remember it's 150 total volume.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down with you getting more fish for sure, that a good volume as well.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT, you can always do tank transfer method, or chloroquine phosphate. You could also purchase fish that have been quarantined but you'll pay for it. You could also go the PaulB route and feed live black worms and clams and work on fish immunity. I definitely need more fish I only have 5 in my tank, and remember it's 150 total volume.
I couldn't get acros to grow for nothing! Then one day a friend from this forum asked me to give him a call... long story short was that my 180 didn't have enough fish to expell waste. I ordered 30 fish that day. One week later the acros came to life :D

@ReeferMadness80G
My system is uln and have 0 no3 or po4 and am battling bryopsis so I began feeding much less, corals losing color and growing slower. I plan to try stump remover to help out. My twv is 180 with sump. How much should I start with and how often?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get acros to grow for nothing! Then one day a friend from this forum asked me to give him a call... long story short was that my 180 didn't have enough fish to expell waste. I ordered 30 fish that day. One week later the acros came to life :D

@ReeferMadness80G
My system is uln and have 0 no3 or po4 and am battling bryopsis so I began feeding much less, corals losing color and growing slower. I plan to try stump remover to help out. My twv is 180 with sump. How much should I start with and how often?

Hey buddy, sorry for the late response use http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm for the calculator there. Takes the guess work out. Start slow and test NO3 and PO4 often.
The Stump Remover is essentially KNO3(potassium nitrate) so that's what you'll want to insert into that category.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on my reef since I'm on here.
Tested No3 today and still at 10ppm so idk if my reef is acclimating to that level and is keeping it steady or what. But I haven't dosed since the last time I posted and it's still 10 ppm so yeah. Anyhow, still noticing good growth and color. Colors are popping more and more everyday on the two frags that were bleached. However, I may have botched this experiment because I got a piece of imitation tonga rock and tried to integrate it into my system, so I was elbow deep in the tank for about 30 minutes and ended up changing my scape (without using the new tonga). I haven't noticed anything too stressed out but I left today to go hunt whitetail out of state. So I will update again on Monday when I return.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really messed up on dosing the stump remover :oops: I shouldn't do these things when I am too tired to think straight! I had taken some notes and instead of grams I (for some dumb reason) wrote tbsp :eek: and didn't catch it until after I dosed the tank (you really don't want to know how much I dosed).... Needless to say I now have very high no3 from 0. I did a 26.5g wc immediately after and am awaiting another 53g of rodi to finish for a larger wc, then I will let nopox take it down the rest of the way. This is probably the single most stupid thing I have EVER done where my tank is concerned! I could just keep this a secret and not tell but I am saying what I have done for others to not make the same mistake as I did.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really messed up on dosing the stump remover :oops: I shouldn't do these things when I am too tired to think straight! I had taken some notes and instead of grams I (for some dumb reason) wrote tbsp :eek: and didn't catch it until after I dosed the tank (you really don't want to know how much I dosed).... Needless to say I now have very high no3 from 0. I did a 26.5g wc immediately after and am awaiting another 53g of rodi to finish for a larger wc, then I will let nopox take it down the rest of the way. This is probably the single most stupid thing I have EVER done where my tank is concerned! I could just keep this a secret and not tell but I am saying what I have done for others to not make the same mistake as I did.

What were your nitrates at after dosing? They will drop naturally over night after you begin dosing.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry that happened! What was your ratio of Stump Remover to ROdi? And what's your total water volume?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened! What was your ratio of Stump Remover to ROdi? And what's your total water volume?
Seriously you don't want to know.... Instead of 9 grams I put in 9 tbsp [emoji26]
180g twv. I changed 26.5g last night and 53 this morning as well as slowly dosing nopox ( which I normally do anyway). Nothing seems to be upset about the high no3 so far.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to do another 50g at once... no3 still too high at about 40ppm. Dosed nopox and running skimmer. Going to let the system rest for tonight and do the next wc tomorrow night. Hoping to get no3 to 20ppm at least.

Well I can't say I have no no3 anymore [emoji12]

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe he is running a triton system though, god bless him for being able to test everything and know what is needed and how much to dose.

I just want to say, don't over think Triton. Those dosing supplements are actually very easy and keep (mostly) everything just where it needs to be with very little to no effort. Occasionally things get out of whack but most things don't even really matter as long as the major elements stay in range.

Aside from that, thanks for your comments in this thread as well as everyone else's. I feel like I learned a lot in the last 3 pages. I've basically ignored all this spectracide no3 dosing going on and this is the first real thread I've looked into about it. I'm kind of feeling like this might be a missing link for me. I generally always have VERY low (but not zero) no3 and fairly high po4. Such is the case in basically all of my tanks. Never really seem able to get the po4 down, so I've been thinking that may have to do with not having enough no3 available. I've been thinking adding some no3 may help with po4 removal in the end, and going through looking at everyone's numbers here that seems to be likely.

I plan to start this tomorrow. Here we go.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG

So the bleached frags are growing like weeds now, I will admit it's difficult for me to keep up with this without testing every day. I'm at like 20g total volume so it's not like growing SPS is easy anyway, but I had a crazy Alk drop for some reason that I didn't catch right away and some of my frags have browning/paling. However, new encrusting growth and some frags have showed coloring up lately since I've brought my alk back to 9

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been using Todd's recipe for the solution. 2 tablespoons per 2 cups of water. Friday I added 100mL which brought my nitrates up from undetectable to 16ppm in my 160 gallon total system. Didn't dose on Saturday. Then Sunday and Monday added 50mL and nitrates have been at 16ppm since. Phosphate was last checked on Saturday and it is 0.01ppm. I will add another 50mL today and check nitrates tonight. I'm shooting for the 16:1 ratio. I also took all phosphate minus out and am just running carbon in my reactor.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back