Raising ph by adding bag of crushed coral? Work or do nada ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all hope all is well.
Ive done some research on ph raising/ stability.
My ph reading 7.8 with api test kit ( will be buying different brand on friday hopefully)
But question is putting some crushed coral in a mesh bag or a plastic container i have in high flow part of sump so water passes through it ,its from a old freshwater tank where filter sponge or media should go.will it raise the ph or will it do absolutely nothing?
Sand i bought 5 years ago and was in no name bag so not even sure what it was lol
Or need some kind of reactor?
I have no corals yet but trying think ahead and get clear path in my head.
Ovbiously if api test wrong and say a salifert test shows same .

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might help prevent the pH form going below 7.8 (I think so, but I am not 100% certain but I thought that it can start to dissolve below 7.8 which ends up buffering and keeping it up or something like that), but not raise it.

Other ways you can raise this is by opening windows, more water movement and surface agitation, co2 scrubber (recirculating with a skimmer is best), using macro algae, and using something like kalkwasser or soda ash for dosing.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might help prevent the pH form going below 7.8 (I think so, but I am not 100% certain but I thought that it can start to dissolve below 7.8 which ends up buffering and keeping it up or something like that), but not raise it.
I was thinking almost the same thing. But not possitive.

tc3driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One has to remember what we are measuring when we are measuring PH.

We are measuring the acidity or basicity of [in this case] the liquid.

I believe that number is right around 7.8, going much above that number would be nearly impossible (or take so long as to not be feasible). Some gnarly formulas and explanation for you: http://ion.chem.usu.edu/~sbialkow/Classes/3600/alpha/alpha3.html

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other ways you can raise this is by opening windows, more water movement and surface agitation, co2 scrubber (recirculating with a skimmer is best), using macro algae, and using something like kalkwasser or soda ash for dosing.

Yeah thats what i was thinking.it doesnt raise it but it stops it dropping any lower.
I know experienve with it.only research but same as every research on net.there some say it does and some say its not lol.
Tank very new so not even got around to setting skimmer up yet pffft.
Plan was set/ tune skimmer as cycling as read its best way but anyway ive not.but from what you saying about skimmer.opening windows.surface agitation,your saying get more gas exchange going on and get more oxygen in water to raise ph i take it ?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One has to remember what we are measuring when we are measuring PH.

We are measuring the acidity or basicity of [in this case] the liquid.

I believe that number is right around 7.8, going much above that number would be nearly impossible (or take so long as to not be feasible). Some gnarly formulas and explanation for you: http://ion.chem.usu.edu/~sbialkow/Classes/3600/alpha/alpha3.html

Well thanks for sharing that article and as just woke up 10 minutes ago.thanks for exploding my head ha ha .

where x is equal to [Ca2+], FA, and is the molar solubility of CaCO3. To find the molar solubility we first determine a2. At pH 6, [H3O+]=106 and a2=1.44x105. The molar solubility is

Extract from article ^^^^^ put me right back to when studying plumbing and gas and had to do stuff like above.
P.s... note to self dont read anything like this at
7.30 am again as now my head about to explode ^_^

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back