Raising temp to 82F degrees to fight Dinoflagelletes? On three systems!

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three aquariums two identical 12 gallons that have mirror equipment but one houses LPS and the other SPS. Both have been up 6 months and recently got Dinos.

Read a lot on dinos on forums and watched plenty of videos on youtube.

The third is about 3 months and is a 30 gallon with only live rock and live sand.

I decided to raise my temps on all three to 82F degrees and report findings.

Tanks were all at 78F degrees set on independent chillers.

Moved thermostat on all three to 82F degrees.

The LPS corals really opened up more at 81 F degrees as is evident from my video.

The SPS corals look good but nothing yet to report that say they look more open polyps extension yet, here are the videos as I start the process.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear how this goes, I’ve heard that higher temps can defeat dinos, curious to see if the claims pan out. There’s nothing to worry about raising it to 82°, the reason most people don’t run their tanks that high is that there’s not a lot of wiggle room should your lights heat up the tank or your heater/controller malfunction. Back in the halide days, my tanks ran that warm pretty consistently.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear how this goes, I’ve heard that higher temps can defeat dinos, curious to see if the claims pan out. There’s nothing to worry about raising it to 82°, the reason most people don’t run their tanks that high is that there’s not a lot of wiggle room should your lights heat up the tank or your heater/controller malfunction. Back in the halide days, my tanks ran that warm pretty consistently.
Yeah, I was worried about doing this to my small systems. Two of them the smaller 12 gallons are run by Chill Solutions Chiller, which is thermo-electric technology very quiet but not powerful like a compressor. My other larger system the 30 gallon runs on a JBJ compressor much more powerful so I knew it would stay exactly at 82F degrees.

But what I immediately observed with the LPS tank, is how much more open the corals opened. And in particular a green one on top don't know the name, was always closed and I thought wow taking forever to grow. But with the change of 77.5-78F degrees it ran was extended to something I had never witnessed until the rise to 82F degrees.

I also brought home a tiger conch and placed him in the 30 gallon which was covered with what I thought is Dinos but I didn't test that tank with the filter test. The conch ate all the what appeared to be dinos.

So, I reached in and removed him and dropped him into the SPS tank 12 gallons which I know is Dinos from the filter test, he tasted it and seemed to no like it and then burried his conch into the sand like he was tired/full or upset, I don't know.

I will watch him tonight and in the morning, I don't want him getting sick because I know dinos are very toxic and his accidental death can spike or nuke my SPS acros with Ammonia, so I have to be careful.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve increased my temp to what my old metal halide tank used to run at (26.5C) and everything looks better. I did have this tank at 25.5C.
Odd enough, that just in raising the temp from 77.5-78F degrees that this LPS tank was running at to 82F all the corals are more open than before in the colder setting. I am watching and observing.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 30 gallon my conch was placed about two days ago. What ever was on the sandbed, was devoured by my conch, take a look at the video of where he started and when he decided to take a break.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2nd day of temps at 82F degrees.

To help me ID the dinoflagelletes I have, I went to Target and purchased a cheap $19.99 microscope as Amazon will take too long to get the nice one I wanted. I struggled with this cheap microscope, please if you can take a look at the video, I took using my cellphone over the eye of the scope.

This is from my SPS 12 gallon AIO system

Video #1

Video#2

This last video is of my LPS 12 gallon AIO system

I know the video is bad, it was all I could do with a $19.99 plastic microscope. Is anyone out there familiar with the shapes of these Dinos?

Thanks,

MG

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I used 25 micron filter sock to vacuum out dinos and a good reefer alerted me to use 5 micron instead, so I ordered one on Amazon.

The results of 25 micron are impressive versus just stirring up the sand in attempting for the dinos to run through the UV.

I will post the short videos so you can see the difference from 2 and 3 hours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back