Ramping up the lights on new tank

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 60gal tank and I am running the Radion XR15 Blue. Tank is 19" height and light is 11" from water level. I am using LPS/Soft pattern at a 10% intensity, since I don't have any corals yet and want the chaeto in the sump to get as much of the nutrients to somewhere avoid an algae bloom in DT. I know is going to be inevitably to get to the ugly phase, but I want to give myself as less issues as possible.

Now, the thing is that I will eventually want to get corals, soft and LPS mostly, but I am not in a hurry to do so. So I want to start ramping up the intensity so when I get the coral it has a good amount of light and hopefully stabilize the light increase in the DT. Based on it, have two questions:

1. What would be the ideal incremental intensity to be done in the DT by day/week to get to the proper intensity level for those type of corals?
2. What would be the ideal intensity of the lights based on the corals I want to get and specs of the tank? Want to avoid getting a PAR meter as I feel is going to be use very few times. As this is the XR15, I feel I would need to get them closer to 80-90% of intensity at some point, as it is not as powerful as the XR30.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooo. Lol, in all seriousness, getting a PAR meter was what I was hoping to avoid. Unfortunately, don´t think around here someone will have one or a place where it can be rented, so was hoping if someone might be using similar equipment.

Searching Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooo. Lol, in all seriousness, getting a PAR meter was what I was hoping to avoid. Unfortunately, don´t think around here someone will have one or a place where it can be rented, so was hoping if someone might be using similar equipment.

Searching Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX
You can rent one from BRS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back