Ran out of Tropic Pro Marin

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey folks I ran out of Tropic Pro marin. I don't know how my calculations were off on a 200 gallon mix but I am short of mixing my 40 gallons for tomorrow's Water change by 2.5 cups. Can I use IO as a substitute for rest or it will screw something up?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a different salt in small amounts shouldn't cause problems. You just don't want to do entire water changes with a new salt. When I switched from IO to RSCoralPro I did 20% water changes over a month and each water change was about 1/3rd the new salt. Then stepped up to 2/3rd and eventually all in with Coral Pro. Went well.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you 2 weeks ago, but I came clean with 1.5 cups from my brother in law... I didn't know he had switched to tropic marin pro reef. I asked him for a cup and a half of his salt, and when I showed up, I was happy to see he made the switch! I think you should be good with such a small amount of a different salt, 40 gallons probably won't feel the difference

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the problems with salt suppliers is that they almot never have the amount they say they have. Your calculations aren't that far off probably. As others have stated, there will be zero issues other than alk being slightly higher.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am glad to hear this because I was keeping close tabs on the amounts so I would not run out without getting the water change done.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did an “investigates” on salts and only one of the 8 or 9 salts they tested actually made as much as the bucket said. I run my salinity at 35 ppt so never get close to what the pro bucket says

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back