Randal’s goby and pistol shrimp not pairing.

avgn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAB8746-3BD0-416F-9AA9-7BD953DEB1BB.jpeg
Hello everybody.

A few days ago I’ve bought a Randall’s goby and a Randal’s pistol shrimp. They are not paired, but my LFS said they will once they are in the tank together. The goby is around 1.5 inch and the pistol shrimp is around the same size, maybe a little smaller.
Once acclimated, I put them in my Reefer 250 (54 gal). I was stupid to let my powerheads run while I put them in. The pistolshrimp was blasted to the other side of the tank and I can’t find it till this day. my goby sits on the same spot for 2 days. Then he started to swim around a little and now he has his own spot under the rocks. Luckily the spot is at the middle of the tank and I can clearly see him.
The question is what happened to my pistolshrimp and we it will pair with my goby. How can they bond together if they cant find each other? I think I’ve heard clicking sounds from the aquarium, but I am not 100% sure.
Is there a way to let them find each other?
If you have this combo, please share your experience.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few days is a pretty short time, they will probably find each other on their own. give them a week or 2 they may or may not pair up. in an aquarium they don't need each other to survive, but in the wild they do.

OP
OP
avgn

avgn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few days is a pretty short time, they will probably find each other on their own. give them a week or 2 they may or may not pair up. in an aquarium they don't need each other to survive, but in the wild they do.
I hope they pair because that’s the reason why I want them in the first place. I also wonder if the pistolshrimp is scared of my 3 pepermint shrimp. The peppermintshrimps are a bigger and swimming everywhere. Maybe the pistolshrimp is too scared of them to come out.

OP
OP
avgn

avgn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work if I can find and catch the pistolshrimp. Maybe I have to wait until the pistolshrimp grows bigger so it can’t hide in the rocks anymore. I think he is hiding between te rocks and he don’t have to dig a hole. Even my goby can hide in the rocks.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a YWG for almost 3 years.

I've tried to pair it so many times and it's just like nah, I'm good.

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better my TWG and pistol shrimp have been in my 13.5 Nano and never paired. Somethings are just not meant to be. :rolleyes:
In my 32g tank, my YWG and pistol shrimp live under 2 different rocks which are just 8 inches away, it has been 2 months now, the YWG never seem to notice the shrimp :rolleyes:

I was thinking of 'forcing' the pistol shrimp to move to a different rock, but just too much hassles to re-aquascape the rocks on top of its current inhabitat, and I might not be able to catch it or get it to meet the goby anyway...

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better my TWG and pistol shrimp have been in my 13.5 Nano and never paired. Somethings are just not meant to be. :rolleyes:
What species do you mean by TWG. If you mean tiger watchman goby as in Valenciennea wardii, that species doesn't pair with shrimp.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back