Randall Goby - some kind of growth on its fin

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I got this randall's goby last week saturday. I had it in a quarantine tank until 2 days ago when I moved it in the main tank. I didn't notice any issues until maybe 15 - 20 mins ago.

Earlier today I got a pistol shrimp (I think it's a tiger). After I acclimated the shrimp, I put the shrimp and randall goby in a bucket for 30 mins hoping they would get familiar with each other.

After the 30min I put them in the aquarium. A couple hours later (15-20min ago) I noticed this stuff on the goby's fin. I'm sorry for the bad pictures, I Just don't have a good enough camera so I had to use my phone, but to give a description, it looks like a white bump. I will try to get some more pictures of the goby.

I had freshwater fish in the past who had some fungal issues (just a white looking spot), so I was thinking this might be something like that? But I swear I did not see any issues until 20 minutes ago, but I am assuming this was there a while (since I doubt it can get like that in a few hours).

Any ideas? What should I do? I also live in Canada so most fish medicine is banned / outlawed. I have some stronger medicine that I bought before the ban went into effect, but as of right now, from stores I can pretty much buy only pimafix, melafix, and some herbal types.

Right now this is what I have from the medicine that was bought when they were still legal: some sulfaplex, a small amount of kana plex, pimafix, paraguard, melafix, neo plex, poly guard, microbe-lift herbal Atremiss and API fungus cure powder (but this says it expired 06 / 2021). Some of the other medicines might also be expired, not sure yet. I'm also not sure if these are any use in saltwater.

20211017_175607_HDR.jpg 20211017_175541_HDR.jpg 20211017_150217.jpg 20211017_150337.jpg 20211017_150439.jpg 20211017_150445.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like lymphocytes which is viral and often due to poor water quality and/or diet

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocytes which is viral and often due to poor water quality and/or diet

I see, in that case, food and good water quality should help fix this?

I moved him into a 5g quarantine tank. I can do daily water changes but how big should they be?

Also, for food I give the following: spirulina enriched brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. I also have calanus but I haven't tried those yet. I also have bug bites pleco wafers. I could give him some of that as well (it has 32% protein, a bunch of fats and some vitamins).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see, in that case, food and good water quality should help fix this?

I moved him into a 5g quarantine tank. I can do daily water changes but how big should they be?

Also, for food I give the following: spirulina enriched brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. I also have calanus but I haven't tried those yet. I also have bug bites pleco wafers. I could give him some of that as well (it has 32% protein, a bunch of fats and some vitamins).
Yes- eventually it will fall off

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- eventually it will fall off
I've been reading a bit more about this and if I understand correctly, this virus is present in the water but normally it doesn't affect the fish or inverts unless their immune system weakens.

In this case, should I still keep the fish in quarantine or does it not matter? What do you think? What would you do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a bit more about this and if I understand correctly, this virus is present in the water but normally it doesn't affect the fish or inverts unless their immune system weakens.

In this case, should I still keep the fish in quarantine or does it not matter? What do you think? What would you do?
While the spot on the left fin could be lymphocystis, the right fin is something different. Are the goby and shrimp pair bonded?
Jay

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the spot on the left fin could be lymphocystis, the right fin is something different. Are the goby and shrimp pair bonded?
Jay
They don't seem to be. The only time the goby went into the shrimp's burrow was when I was chasing him around with a net but he swam all around the tank first. Before that he was just sitting on a rock.

From what I know, bonded pair always stick together?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I would maintain good water quality and diet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't seem to be. The only time the goby went into the shrimp's burrow was when I was chasing him around with a net but he swam all around the tank first. Before that he was just sitting on a rock.

From what I know, bonded pair always stick together?
So, I’m worried that the goby tried to bond with the shrimp and it popped him, causing fin damage.
Jay

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would maintain good water quality and diet
I see, thanks for the help and info.

So, I’m worried that the goby tried to bond with the shrimp and it popped him, causing fin damage.
Jay
It's possible, not sure. I heard the snapping sound 1 time but the goby was out in the open on a rock at that time. He wasn't in the shrimp's hole.

What do you think, should I keep the goby quarantined for a few days and see if that potential snap attack 'wound' heals?

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m correct, that’s a Caribbean blue leg pistol shrimp, which does not pair, so attacking the goby is a likelihood.
dang, you think so? When I was buying it I just looked at the body which was similar to the tiger pistol shrimp images I've been seeing.

Do you know if they tiger pistol shrimp can ever have blue legs?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger will look like this:
F80F9531-64F2-4D62-B4CC-B733FD0A4F44.jpeg

That red body on yours is the dead giveaway, the blue legs only confirms it.
All have a similar build, patterning is the main way to tell apart.

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger will look like this:
F80F9531-64F2-4D62-B4CC-B733FD0A4F44.jpeg

That red body on yours is the dead giveaway, the blue legs only confirms it.
All have a similar build, patterning is the main way to tell apart.
I see what you mean. I thinkI focused too much on the patterns / blobs of color instead of the full coloring theme.

dang, that kinda sucks, he was looking pretty cool. I wish I could keep it but it will probably kill / attack my other fish. I'm probably not getting my money back but I'll see if I can get some store credit.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back