Randall's goby not doing well (heavy breathing, not eating, skinny)

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I've been having nothing but bad luck with new fish. Granted, I do not quarantaine (due to lack of space), but never had issues before.

About 3 weeks ago I picked up a Randall's goby, a week later I gave him a pistol shrimp friend which he bonded with immediately. The first ~ 2 weeks he has been pretty shy, but ate very well and was looking nice and fat. About a week ago he vanished, couldn't find him anywhere and didn't come out to eat either. 2 days ago he reappeared, but looking very skinny. He refuses to eat, even if I put it right in front of him. He's also breathing very heavily and makes a sort of spitting motion every few seconds. Other than that, he looks absolutely fine. Good coloration, fin still up (although not as much as before) and he sticks to the pistol shrimp.

I just gave him a 4 min freshwater dip but couldn't really see anything. I did see some black specks floating around, but I'm not sure if it came from him or if it was already in the container.

Any ideas what's going on and what I could give him? I have an emergency storage bin that I can put him in to medicate.

20201203_110106.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although gobies are not commonly affected by these, the symptoms do seem to point to gill flukes - the timing, deep breathing and "coughing". FW dips may provide some relief, but these parasites are deeply seated in the gills. A full five minute dip would be better - many flukes drop off right at the end of the dip period. Yes, it is stressful, and yes, fish do die due to FW dips, but they would have died soon anyway, so I would suggest doing another FW dip later today. Then, if the fish is still hanging in there, dose with Prazipro (with good aeration, this is mostly reef safe).

Good luck!

Jay

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was literally getting a container to put him in for the freshwater dip and as I was walking by the tank, he fell on his side and started twitching like crazy. After 5 seconds he was completely stiffened and dead. Gills wide open.

I still put him in a container filled with fresh water to see if anything comes out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Yes, a post mortem FW dip is helpful, but if it was gill flukes, they will be hard to see without a microscope.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yikes- that was fast. As stated by Jay- gill flukes or could have been something internal

Back