Random Death of Cleaner Shrimp

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I come out to my tank this morning and found one of my cleaner shrimp dead, All my water params are normal, there been no changes of any time and everything else seems quiet happy and normal.

The only thing with this shrimp was I did think it was about to give birth as it belly had gone big and green. I have attached pic but not every good, any thoughts?

20210623_142007.jpeg

Thanks

Phil

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's going to be a string of parameter requests blah blah but since everything else is doing well and you haven't made any drastic changes I would suggest that sometimes things just die. It may have been older or who knows.
I'm not trying to be flippant, but that could just be the answer.
sorry for the loss though, it always sucks.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's going to be a string of parameter requests blah blah but since everything else is doing well and you haven't made any drastic changes I would suggest that sometimes things just die. It may have been older or who knows.
I'm not trying to be flippant, but that could just be the answer.
sorry for the loss though, it always sucks.
Yeah I figured that might be the case, but as I never had these guys before I thought I would throw it out there in case there was something i wasnt aware of

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is what they call “berried”, with eggs. You haven’t been dosing peroxide have you?
Reproduction is a stressful event - in some cases, the organism just fails to complete the process, I think that’s what happened here. No physical damage, other shrimp doing ok, both point to that idea.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well come to the tank this morning and the second shrimp is dead, so something is going on. Time to re-run all my water test I think and see if I missed something
What other animals are in the tank and doing well?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have 4 clowns, two gobbles, 1 royal blue tang, 1 emperor cardinal and long tentacle anemone and they and they seem all fine.
I have one cleaner shrimp left, not sure what I should do
Sounds specific to shrimp then - water quality issues would affect the LT anemone. There are some crustacean diseases, but they aren't well known, and to my knowledge, not really treatable in home aquariums (food shrimp culture facilities do some antibiotic treatments I think).

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back