OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anything end up happening with the cardinal holding eggs in his mouth? Still there? Swallow them? Curious mind wants to know ;)
He is still holding! I am trying to beat the clock with a freebee tank I was given by the folks @ Petco before they tossed it in the dumpster. Right time right place.
IMG_0587.JPEG IMG_0601.JPEG IMG_0602.JPEG IMG_0603.JPEG
I am using the extruded PVC ceiling tile for a temporary overflow box... May even paint it all black. 3D printed out a turbulent flow nozzle. I'll plumb it into my existing setup.

If I get this spawn, You're welcome to a few if you want to make the drive!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still holding! I am trying to beat the clock with a freebee tank I was given by the folks @ Petco before they tossed it in the dumpster. Right time right place.
IMG_0587.JPEG IMG_0601.JPEG IMG_0602.JPEG IMG_0603.JPEG
I am using the extruded PVC ceiling tile for a temporary overflow box... May even paint it all black. 3D printed out a turbulent flow nozzle. I'll plumb it into my existing setup.

If I get this spawn, You're welcome to a few if you want to make the drive!
Are planning on leaving him in the main tank until he releases or going to transfer him before?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is a thread of someone that was helping me on humble fish that went through the trials and raising of baby cardinals. Might have some good tips in there for you.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also here is a thread of someone that was helping me on humble fish that went through the trials and raising of baby cardinals. Might have some good tips in there for you.
Wow that is really neat. I did not read everything but skimming through and watching the progression was pretty satisfying.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are planning on leaving him in the main tank until he releases or going to transfer him before?
I used to strip my Cichlid so I didn't get a ton of babies so I may strip him. I guess were coming up on 2 weeks. Should I wait another 2? I wasn't really paying too much attention to the posts and they flipped back and forth. Did he hold the eggs for 2 weeks then the larvae for two then he got minnows that could eat bbs?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to strip my Cichlid so I didn't get a ton of babies so I may strip him. I guess were coming up on 2 weeks. Should I wait another 2? I wasn't really paying too much attention to the posts and they flipped back and forth. Did he hold the eggs for 2 weeks then the larvae for two then he got minnows that could eat bbs?
I went back through the posts. From what I could tell, he had the parents in a separate breeding tank. From the day he noticed the male no longer eating, he would wait 26 days to pull the male and "force" him to spit out babies. I don't know what "force to spit out" means. Maybe just pulling the male out and putting him in a jar causes them to release them??? You may know more about that with your cichlid experience. He then fed apex pods and baby brine until they were old enough to consume larger pods. Then eventually started dusting with LRS and TDO pellets. Your pair is in your displays, so "pulling the male" could be way more tricky. His male ate the eggs the first few times around.
Also, his is male would go 7 to 9 days of eating and then they would breed, and the cycle would continue.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow thanks for confirmation about 4 weeks for strip @rmorris_14! So with the cichlid, I would take a ~1" tube and just work it in between the fish's-lips (dont fish-lip the hookah-brah) so the bottom lip was forced open. The fish's breathing would push the eggs out and down the tube.
I'll use red light and net them in the dark. I can also pull out rock structures till I get him. I may release him back into the DT if its easy enough to catch with the red-light method. I may also let this first round remain in the tank.

I was planning something different for the tank I was working on ~ I'll put the cardinals in 10 gallon tanks.
I was going to paint it black so I'll have a white tank for the 'good' fish and the black tank will be for the 'bad' (agro) fish.
A little heaven and hell in my own basement.

IMG_0604.JPEG IMG_0606.JPEG IMG_0607.JPEG IMG_0618.JPEG IMG_0616.JPEG

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIA:
Wheeler's Watchman Goby
Peppermint Shrimp
Found decomposing something or other in my main drain. I am not sure which one is toast or if both are toast.
I need you to look at your arrow crab and tell me if he has that guilty look on his face.
Confused Sorry GIF by Tokkingheads

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So Tuesday I pulled a snail out of the tank dead and stinking and again today ~ like they've probably been in there dead for awhile - I bet all the 1st gen turbos I got that got huge are all passing of old age - I was worried it was my temp change but I found one dead before I lowered my temp (hmm that info was posted here).
Guess I should check my amonian.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got 12!
All healthy and swimming. He was easy enough to catch that I put him back in the DT after I stripped him
IMG_0648.JPEG IMG_0649.JPEG IMG_0650.JPEG

Got two for them to choose from. They glow if I had UV...
IMG_0653.JPEG IMG_0654.JPEG
But I only started the brine yesterday... so, I put a copepod hotel from my fuge in so they'll hopefully have some snacks. IMG_0652.JPEG

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How can you tell when they are ready to be stripped?
I kept trying to peer into his mouth whenever he would come to the glass. I saw a little fry-head then I knew it was time to mobilize.
I may not have gotten them all though I did do three rounds with the tube. (King of DIY method) I even got all the stuff from the place he recommended back in my African Cichlid days.
They are so cute.

big eyes smile GIF by Kokee Thornton

edit: I got them all, I saw him eating.

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept trying to peer into his mouth whenever he would come to the glass. I saw a little fry-head then I knew it was time to mobilize.
I may not have gotten them all though I did do three rounds with the tube. (King of DIY method) I even got all the stuff from the place he recommended back in my African Cichlid days.
They are so cute.

big eyes smile GIF by Kokee Thornton

edit: I got them all, I saw him eating.
Youre a rock star in my book! Good work :star-struck:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Youre a rock star in my book! Good work :star-struck:
Well, like I said; If you want to hop in the car and head out to Western Springs, I'll give you 1/2 of them. finally get a cardinal to eat your bbs!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back