OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They're still alive and eating bbs! I haven't told my wife yet... She'll probably say something like: "oh great! more mouths to feed!" lol... Then she'll see them and wont be able to deal they're so freaking cute. specially when gorging on bbs; their little mouths & tiny little fins... they're little striped seeds with fins
hehe.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're still alive and eating bbs! I haven't told my wife yet... She'll probably say something like: "oh great! more mouths to feed!" lol... Then she'll see them and wont be able to deal they're so freaking cute. specially when gorging on bbs; their little mouths & tiny little fins... they're little striped seeds with fins
hehe.
HAHAHAHA cuteness overload! I was all giddy last night when I showed my husband your posts about them. He just gave me a lack luster, "thats cool" :face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes::expressionless-face::expressionless-face::expressionless-face::expressionless-face::expressionless-face:

Feel free to post some videos during feeding time. ;)
parks and recreation please GIF

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I got my apex I was all excited because it had a WXM (before I knew what it was, or how outdated it was) and I had a used MP40 on its way to me that may link-up. I got a second MP40W because I thought I'd be able to get them all linked-up.
Turns out I tried and tried to get everything working but just couldn't get the WXM RF module to update. I was so frustrated I started looking for other used WXM modules.
Turns out, after a month of messing around, I unscrewed my module and heard a rattling... I opened it up and found the RF module was loose. I plugged it back in and.... nothing... I tried it again, this time really seating the card; it worked!!!! I got both my antique MP40s (with new ball bearings) to link-up to my apex! Its so sweet!
vortech_WXM.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's my cat!? This obnoxious squirrel is rubbing his umm... belly... all over my place at the picnic table!
IMG_0662.JPEG
I get it, it's hot out there. I would be all sprawled out too.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finished the stand for the 15gallon exile tank that I'll be tying into my sump.
IMG_0628.JPEG IMG_0634.JPEG IMG_0637.JPEG IMG_0690.JPEG
I had a hard time with the oil paint because of the humidity and heat. I had to sand a bunch and re-paint it.
Not to self: don't paint black paint in a poorly lit garage at night...
It looks nice where I plan to put it. now I'm hoping I can work out the plumbing.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK, big update since I have not posted in a while and I left a whole tank setup 1/2-way there...

Firstly, I finished the exile tank, got it plumbed into the system (even into the DIY filter floss roller) and got its lighting squared away. Being able to 3D print little odds and ends like mounting brackets and the like really adds to just about anything. I should really put some of these little items on Thingiverse.
IMG_0759.JPEG IMG_0762.JPEG IMG_0760.JPEG IMG_0763.JPEG IMG_0761.JPEG IMG_0764.JPEG IMG_0765.JPEG IMG_0813.JPEG IMG_0829.JPEG

A friend rehomed his juvenile Emperor Anglefish to my tank because it was getting bullied and not getting enough to eat in his. Its a beautiful fish but it has a penchant for neon green candycane. The exile tank is no longer FOWLR... I hope my filefish doesn't like the same corals the Anglefish does... He eats from my hand; the sailfin has already learned how todo it from him. This is his first or second time doing it; now he is a pro after several similar meal times.
IMG_0754.JPEG IMG_0747.JPEG IMG_0737.JPEG

I also did a pretty extensive cabinet redo. I kind of just started throwing stuff into the cabinet when I redid my lights so I had to reconcile. I got a CO2 scrubber and an InkBird and another 300W heater, a second EB8, an old MP10 and the RedSea Reefmat 1200 so I had some things to figure out. My current DIY rollermat works ok and I need to upgrade my sump to use the RedSea Rollermat so I am holding onto that for another build or trying to swap it out for another RedSea Product. I still needed to fit the 3 NP PSUs and all the CO2 scrubbing equipment, and accommodate the Exile Tank's plumbing. I've printed out beefier doser mounts and even a mount for my refugium light so it's properly centered on the sump. I'm still not done with the CO2 scrubbing but I've gotten the rest!
IMG_0768.JPEG IMG_0769.JPEG IMG_0775.JPEG IMG_0785.JPEG IMG_0786.JPEG IMG_0788.JPEG IMG_0794.JPEG IMG_0796.JPEG IMG_0797.JPEG IMG_0831.JPEG IMG_0829.JPEG

I even spent the time to setup the cooling in the tank hood so I can put my T5s in again! I then looked into modifying my old Gallaxy Hydros so the Apex could control them for the exile tank and my coral QT. I need PWM controllers (in the mail from China) to do it so I got an great 2nd hand ReefBreeder LED for $40 that will do what I need for now.
IMG_0799.JPEG IMG_0800.JPEG IMG_0801.JPEG IMG_0803.JPEG

And some icing on the cake is that the male cardinal is holding again! I'll probably leave him in the tank for these.
IMG_0824.JPEG IMG_0826.JPEG

I'm sure I forgot stuff... but I'm nervous of loosing this post...

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Posted my first fishy video to YouTube opening the door to the new projects! Originally edited like a coming out video, I was never happy with the less risky edit my wife suggested I do instead.

Please like/subscribe/click the bell to help me justify my frivolous endeavors!

1656513798246.png

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted my first fishy video to YouTube opening the door to the new projects! Originally edited like a coming out video, I was never happy with the less risky edit my wife made me do instead.

Please like/subscribe/click the bell to help me justify my frivolous endeavors!

1656513798246.png

YAY! This was fun to watch. Well done sir.

The Best Yes GIF

Subscribed ;)

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
YAY! This was fun to watch. Well done sir.
Thanks for the feedback! Hard sometimes to watch my videos - hehe they're not great but hopefully getting better ;)
I need to finish the 4-axis DIY CNC for foam cutting. I have a bunch of subscribers from my MultiBotCNC build. Surprisingly the fiberglass sailboat videos get the most views.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

So I turned it on at 4 and the pH goes straight up! I have it opening to ambient air at 8.1 but it keeps going up I am guessing because there is a delay. I'll post more graphs as time progresses. I cant wait to see what happens when the Solenoid turns off again! The solenoid is powered by an old phone charger I got at goodwill for $3; the solenoid was $7, there was $5 in tube, $15 in fittings $15 for the housing, $8 for the mount, $7 for the inner tube. Then the Soda Lime I could have gotten locally for $11 and an hour drive but I just amazoned it for $24... I 3D printed some fittings and think I could have printed more that I ended up buying.
pH_co2scrub01.jpg
pH_co2scrub02.jpg

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I turned it on at 4 and the pH goes straight up! I have it opening to ambient air at 8.1 but it keeps going up I am guessing because there is a delay. I'll post more graphs as time progresses. I cant wait to see what happens when the Solenoid turns off again! The solenoid is powered by an old phone charger I got at goodwill for $3; the solenoid was $7, there was $5 in tube, $15 in fittings $15 for the housing, $8 for the mount, $7 for the inner tube. Then the Soda Lime I could have gotten locally for $11 and an hour drive but I just amazoned it for $24... I 3D printed some fittings and think I could have printed more that I ended up buying.
pH_co2scrub01.jpg
pH_co2scrub02.jpg
I’m glad it is working for you. I ended up using my brs reactor for back up gfo or carbon. Not sure if my media was spent or the skimmer was underpowered to make a dent in my ph

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m glad it is working for you. I ended up using my brs reactor for back up gfo or carbon. Not sure if my media was spent or the skimmer was underpowered to make a dent in my ph
Was your media white or purple when you tried it? if purple it could have been spent. I guess all it would take is a puncture in the bag and time. I guess if your skimmer couldn't pull through the media it wouldn't work either.
I was extra careful to install it in a way that I shouldnt get kinked hoses. I am concerned about condensation / water in the line clogging it so I may print-out a drip-trap.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back