Randy is it ok to Cycle tanks testing only for Ammonia?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question has come up in a different thread.
More specifically if we set up a tank using small measured feedings with cured rock and rubble and a few cuc and Nitrates only register at 2ppm at highest through the entire process of Cycling ammonia back to 0 readings with Api and ammonia is processing efficiently at 0 with fish in tank.
Should we put any real signifance in The 2ppm Nitrates readings and furthermore is there any real signifance in testing for Nitrites in that kind of application?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a direct answer to the question here, and some other nice answers too

hth

B

re: post #19

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon thank you! So I literally just went through 50 pages or so of head bashing in for absoloutely nothing!
I still would like to know Randys thoughts on if it could even be remotely possibly harmful to fish swimming in 2ppm nitrates with minimal feeds staying 0 processed ammonia?
We are talking super controlled minimal feeds building ammonia processing precisely!

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I just realized that I should have clarified that the cured rubble is being taken out of tank full of healthy thriving fish and corals and already carrying bioloads.
Placed in a ten gallon with a few cuc and feed a few mysis shrimp periodically to get ammonia processing and tracked back to minimal or 0 levels.
Im getting ready to set this tank up and do some experiments and I cannot find anything in the literature that says a fish swimming in 1-2 nitrates is harmful with ammonia processing at 0 to minimal levels during feeding.
Before I do the tank I want to make sure my thinking is responsible here.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no Randy by any means but I’ve transferred 4 tanks this exact way and have had zero loses. I would bet it depends on how much bioload you add right off the bat. When I transferred to my 210 I added 7 fish and none showed any stress.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were starting a tank, I'd just monitor ammonia to determine safety for livestock additions. I might possibly monitor nitrite just for fun. I'd also be monitoring other things such as pH and alkalinity.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no Randy by any means but I’ve transferred 4 tanks this exact way and have had zero loses. I would bet it depends on how much bioload you add right off the bat. When I transferred to my 210 I added 7 fish and none showed any stress.
Absoloutely. When done right transfer tanks can go off flawlessly and without a hitch. I think the key to every successful transfer is matching water params as close as humanly possible from old system to new. And keeping params dialed to keep minimal disruptions across the board. Tanks already processing bioloads its stocked with. As long as we scale that down or up to new system I dont see how it could be a problem.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were starting a tank, I'd just monitor ammonia to determine safety for livestock additions. I might possibly monitor nitrite just for fun. I'd also be monitoring other things such as pH and alkalinity.
Thanks Randy. Do you know if studies have been done to find average bioloads for specific fish?
I've seen your posts around on higher doses of ammonia being used to kick start tanks. Im curious why the reccomended would be 2ppm of ammonia. At the end of the day that seems excessive and maybe even counter productive for the average reefer thats only looking to start a new tank with 1 or 2 small fish like clowns or mollies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Do you know if studies have been done to find average bioloads for specific fish?
I've seen your posts around on higher doses of ammonia being used to kick start tanks. Im curious why the reccomended would be 2ppm of ammonia. At the end of the day that seems excessive and maybe even counter productive for the average reefer thats only looking to start a new tank with 1 or 2 small fish like clowns or mollies.

Concentrations attained obviously depend on the water volume, but here's some data on amounts excreted of a typical marine fish:

"The total daily ammonia production for 3-, 40- and 90-g fish was 1032, 365 and 353 mg N kg−1 day−1, respectively."

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back