OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build thread Randy! I am definitely going to do your GEO calcium reactor modification. After reading through your whole thread I think you've convinced me to buy a Trident after hearing about your alk plummeting to 1.2dkh while away. Couple questions. With the CaRx mod, that will put more co2 into the tank versus getting trapped in the reactor correct? Also, it seems you are having great results growing your chaeto, can you tell me what light you are using and where you purchased it from? I've been considering making my own DIY one from Rapid LED, but would like to know more about yours, since it's working well for you. I really appreciate you posting your corrections to problems you've encountered. This helps everyone!

Thanks! My alk didn’t plummet to 1.2dkh, but it went down by 1.2dkh. The drop happened between 12-18 hours, so it was still a significant drop in a short period of time.

Yes, some of the co2 won’t get recirculated most likely. I’d rather waste a little co2 for the peace and quiet though. I don’t notice a big difference in pH the DT after the mod, but I also have a secondary reactor so that may have help with the extra undissolved co2.

I use two dimmable 45W grow light panels from amazon that I velcro to the side of the fuge using command strips. I run both at around 20W and just have two for the spread. I have a glass sump, if you’re using acrylic and mount to the side, be sure to leave a larger gap so it doesn’t have any chance of overheating the acrylic and cause crazing or cracking issues.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My alk didn’t plummet to 1.2dkh, but it went down by 1.2dkh. The drop happened between 12-18 hours, so it was still a significant drop in a short period of time.

Yes, some of the co2 won’t get recirculated most likely. I’d rather waste a little co2 for the peace and quiet though. I don’t notice a big difference in pH the DT after the mod, but I also have a secondary reactor so that may have help with the extra undissolved co2.

I use two dimmable 45W grow light panels from amazon that I velcro to the side of the fuge using command strips. I run both at around 20W and just have two for the spread. I have a glass sump, if you’re using acrylic and mount to the side, be sure to leave a larger gap so it doesn’t have any chance of overheating the acrylic and cause crazing or cracking issues.
Oh , gotcha, my bad thought it went down to 1.2. Awesome, that’s what I was wondering. I don’t mind a little lower pH if I can get rid of the bubbling and having to bleed off the reactor. Do you remember the brand of the lights you bought off Amazon by chance? Would it be something like this?
88E08166-465D-4953-9E04-A82A950F70F4.png

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i-Venoya was the brand. Link was include in the post above. They were $10 cheaper when I bought them though.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i-Venoya was the brand. Link was include in the post above. They were $10 cheaper when I bought them though.

Just ordered one to try! Thanks for your help!!

OP
OP
RandyC

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't know what's causing the current hype on Gonis, but sure, I'll play. ;)

Unique Corals Amazeball Goni
goni_collection_20200727_9016.jpg

Three no name gonis, I gave silly little names to. ;)

Pinky the Ghost Goni - Digging the long tentacles on this one
goni_collection_20200727_9010.jpg

Super Dragonfruit Goni
goni_collection_20200727_9012.jpg

Guava Monster Goni
goni_collection_20200727_9008.jpg

Eric Morissette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first two years or so, I never had a problem maintaining the overflow water level at a specific level with the Red Sea diaphragm valve on the main drain and things were silent. However, for the last few months, I have had to make constant adjustments to the valve every 4-5 days because the water level would increase by itself and the noise from water trickling into the emergency drain became super annoying. I've cleaned the valve a number of times, but still had the same problem. I'm not sure why after two years I began to have an issue, but here we are.

So I decided to make the change to a Spears gate valve for the main full siphon drain. Normally something that should be a simple swap in a fish tank, but the Red Sea plumbing poses a challenge because it is metric.

So here's what it looks like now.
28979AC1-83D3-4F3A-BAA6-94F12A17298E.jpeg

From what I've seen, most people have just taken the return connector part (part number 42221), getting a 3/4" threaded male adapter and wrapping the threaded end with 10-15 wraps of telfon tape to fit it into the metric fitting in place of the barb. For a number of reasons, I'm not comfortable with this solution.

So what I did was take a Spears 32mm to 1" transition union and glued the 32mm end over the outer part of the return connector which measures 32mm. I used PVC primer and cement. The plastic that the return connector is made out is an "unknown plastic" (exact words from Red Sea tech support), so using PVC primer and cement wasn't a sure thing that it would bond well, but it looks like it's holding up. No leaks have been seen and best part, tank is dead silent with water in overflow staying steady.

Here's my parts list

- Red Sea return connector part #42221 (remove barb before gluing - also be carful to not over do it on the cement, you don't want to glue the black screw nut since it's a tight fit)
6D1925E5-8F79-4CD3-916F-351B0E4A228C.jpeg

89BBB8B4-4C89-4818-99AB-CCD958F19EB9.jpeg

- Spears 32mm to 1" sched 80 transition union
- Spears 1" schedule 80 gate valve
- 1" blue PVC pipe
Just purchased a RSR 250 thinking of doing the same thing to my valve, how is this holding up any leaks?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@RandyC how's your reef doing these days?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy, TSA Haymaker, has been a pretty slow grower for me. At least it's doing something - albeit in super slow fashion. Polyps have developed that cool looking two tone color with a bright orange on the base of the polyp though.

Got the piece on July 17 and here's a picture from July 26
FragTank_Day_00149_20190726_4633.jpg

November 5 (102 days later)
FragTank_Day_00251_20191105_6738.jpg
Any updates on this, I just picked one up.

LiftinTheVeil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
------ Frag Tank (Day 88) ------

Just got done with a battle of dinoflagellate ostreopsis. My nutrients had pretty much zeroed out and then the dinos took over. Dinos covered egg crate, the small amount of rocks in the tank and then slowly, they started to cover acro frags and significantly bother BTAs.

Here's a picture of them in tank. They were worse than this, but I can't seem to find a picture of it.
40EE92B4-18CF-41EC-BE42-79F8BF9DF236.jpeg

In the bucket they definitely don't look pretty. Very much like brown snot.
517A749D-D245-4988-928C-91BEF8BD0C6B.jpeg

Here's what the little buggers look like under the microscope.
4C645B27-95F7-43BE-A399-BEB3B15EF889.jpeg

At first I just tried feeding more and got nitrates up to 5ppm and phosphates up to 0.1, but this didn't help clear them out. Tried upping the fuge photoperiod once nutrients were up and seeing if chaeto could out compete it, didn't work. Siphoning it out didn't help either, it would just be back in full force the within a couple days. This probably lasted around 2-3 weeks and it was starting to become painful to watch once acros started being covered.

So I broke down and bought an Aqua UV Classic 57 Watt sterilizer. Talk about a miracle cure for this particular strain of dinos. After a good siphon session the day of installing it and basting/blowing the dinos off the egg crate, rock and frags daily, they were pretty non-existent by day 4. Seven days later, there was zero trace of them. It was pretty awesome. Two weeks have gone by since installing the UV sterilizer and tank is back on track and crystal clear.

I have my unit plumbed on one of my return pumps. Installed a 1" Neptune flow sensor to measure the flow rate and I'm putting 300-310 gph through the unit.
B109D6FE-8E79-4368-A90C-8ABB7D83F831.jpeg

I think I was lucky and so far, I only had one casualty, a frag of BC Backdraft.

I’m going through the same exact thing right now, also with Ostreopsis. What’s the size of your system? I just bought a 25W Aqua UV for my 133gal display (24 gal sump). Do you think this is appropriately sized to get the job done? Also what flow do you recommend? I ask because the manual instructs high flow to combat algae and bacteria which seems contrary to what you’ve done.

Benny85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first two years or so, I never had a problem maintaining the overflow water level at a specific level with the Red Sea diaphragm valve on the main drain and things were silent. However, for the last few months, I have had to make constant adjustments to the valve every 4-5 days because the water level would increase by itself and the noise from water trickling into the emergency drain became super annoying. I've cleaned the valve a number of times, but still had the same problem. I'm not sure why after two years I began to have an issue, but here we are.

So I decided to make the change to a Spears gate valve for the main full siphon drain. Normally something that should be a simple swap in a fish tank, but the Red Sea plumbing poses a challenge because it is metric.

So here's what it looks like now.
28979AC1-83D3-4F3A-BAA6-94F12A17298E.jpeg

From what I've seen, most people have just taken the return connector part (part number 42221), getting a 3/4" threaded male adapter and wrapping the threaded end with 10-15 wraps of telfon tape to fit it into the metric fitting in place of the barb. For a number of reasons, I'm not comfortable with this solution.

So what I did was take a Spears 32mm to 1" transition union and glued the 32mm end over the outer part of the return connector which measures 32mm. I used PVC primer and cement. The plastic that the return connector is made out is an "unknown plastic" (exact words from Red Sea tech support), so using PVC primer and cement wasn't a sure thing that it would bond well, but it looks like it's holding up. No leaks have been seen and best part, tank is dead silent with water in overflow staying steady.

Here's my parts list

- Red Sea return connector part #42221 (remove barb before gluing - also be carful to not over do it on the cement, you don't want to glue the black screw nut since it's a tight fit)
6D1925E5-8F79-4CD3-916F-351B0E4A228C.jpeg

89BBB8B4-4C89-4818-99AB-CCD958F19EB9.jpeg

- Spears 32mm to 1" sched 80 transition union
- Spears 1" schedule 80 gate valve
- 1" blue PVC pipe
What needs to be done if your connecting to a reef mat 500?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back